I just got bad news

Don't worry about all the other stuff, take care of yourself first, by doing that you'll experience many more years of happiness.

That’s a bummer man, but get it taken care of and come back stronger.

That sucks Will, if you need someone to take care of those T100's with Steelfibre shafts I can send you my address.

That sucks Will, if you need someone to take care of those T100's with Steelfibre shafts I can send you my address.
I hit some nice shots with them a couple weeks ago before the pain really got to me.

I feel your pain OP.

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of total hip replacement for me. Last April I was in the same boat as you with missing golf although the hip is simpler than the shoulder. I was playing a bit inside of a month but I'd need a cart and I couldn't do back to back rounds without some rest till later in the summer.

What are your specific symptoms? I also had clavicle surgery on my left shoulder 4 years ago. The condition was called weight lifter's shoulder and it's where the collar bone touches right at the end. Hurt like hell to raise it above the shoulder. Doc just cut 1/4" off the bone and sewed me up. I was golfing 2 months after that. Now that's my strong arm.

It would be great if the MRI showed something less significant. Best of luck to you.

Well they just called me back and they scheduled me for an MRI next Thursday. That is a pleasant surprise. They did say, though, that they have no idea right now when they would be able to schedule a surgery. boo

Damn dude that sucks! Nothing like hitting you when you are already down. #2020SUX

Here's to a speedy recovery regardless :drinks:

Sucks... hope you'll have a speedy recovery after surgery 👍

Sorry to here about your misfortune, here's hoping you get better real soon. (y)

Sorry to hear about this. Best of luck to you when you are able to have the surgery.

I'm 38. It was pain and not instability and there was never a singular moment that I did something that I can point to that did it. I do know that I was hitting drivers on the range when I first felt the pain creep up on me. I've never dislocated anything thankfully.

Gotcha. I am not a surgeon, but consult and work with them and see labral repairs all day every day. 38 is fairly old to have labral work done. It is typically done in younger athletes (14-20 yo). Especially since you are not having instability. I question that the labral repair is what is needed. It cannot hurt to get a second opinion, and surgery might not be the answer, which is great news!

Gotcha. I am not a surgeon, but consult and work with them and see labral repairs all day every day. 38 is fairly old to have labral work done. It is typically done in younger athletes (14-20 yo). Especially since you are not having instability. I question that the labral repair is what is needed. It cannot hurt to get a second opinion, and surgery might not be the answer, which is great news!

I will be 63 yrs old this year and had my left shoulder done in 2012 and my right shoulder done in 2017. I too could not pinpoint a specific injury that caused the tears, but I am glad my surgeon fixed them. We tried therapy first on both but it did nothing to help. But...YMMV.

Left Shoulder 2012

Right Shoulder 2017

Audio on both of those if you are interested.

l just found out that I have a posterior labrum tear in my right shoulder and recovery time post surgery is 5-6 months. There goes a whole summer and fall of playing golf, playing baseball with my son and playing softball with my friends. At least I don't have the 'rona. But because of all that crap I probably won't even get it fixed for a month or longer. I'm super bummed. And worse, we can't even watch the freaking Masters on TV right now.

Hope the operation and recovery goes well for you. IMO, above all don't skimp on the post-surgery physical therapy. That will have a major influence on how fully and completely you are able to recover and get back out on the golf course.

I will be 63 yrs old this year and had my left shoulder done in 2012 and my right shoulder done in 2017. I too could not pinpoint a specific injury that caused the tears, but I am glad my surgeon fixed them. We tried therapy first on both but it did nothing to help. But...YMMV.

Left Shoulder 2012

Right Shoulder 2017

Sorry to hear about the injury, here’s to a speedy recovery!

I feel your pain...detached mine. most painful rehab I ever wen through.

That's no good man but just focus on the recovery and you'll be back and better before you know it!

I know everyone is different but I went through 3 years of pain and PE and finally did the full MRI/x-ray/ultrasound thing last spring. Results came back that I had multiple tears and impingement. First step from surgeons where I live is cortisone shot as that works 99% of the time, according to my surgeon. In addition, at my age (61 at the time), if cortisone works, which it did, it saves the expense on the health care system as well as losses/rehab to the patient.

While waiting to see my surgeon last spring, a friend and I were playing an area course and we got joined up with another shoulder surgeon and his young son and he told me the same thing, that the first thing they do is the cortisone shot and PE as it works 99% of the time. He said unless athlete or cortisone doesn’t work, they typically avoid surgery at all costs.

Fast forward 12 months and shoulder pain is 99% gone and played approx 125 rounds post cortisone shot. I do take am anti inflammatory pills every once in awhile (overnight) that works real well, otherwise I watch what I do which at my age is very easy. No lifting weights or pushups for me.

Only negative is I did tear my bicep tendon last summer (again only repaired if surgeon eventually had to fix shoulder) so I’m walking around like Popeye. Didn’t stop my golf though, just a little bit of discomfort. Good luck with your situation.

Left Shoulder 2012

Right Shoulder 2017

Thanks for sharing.

It appears nothing was repaired in either of those, which is great. Just simple labral debridements and subacromial decompressions, which makes for a much faster recovery.

@wluker17 Like I said, if they just do a debridement to get some tissue out of there, recovery will be a lot faster!

That sucks.

As someone with a lifetime of shoulder problems and a currently turn labrum and rotator in his right, I feel for ya. If you're getting it fixed hopefully it won't be too long of a wait with everything going on, but if it is you can usually still golf with it. Have to probably change your swing a little so you're not irritating it, but it can usually be done, and shouldn't make it all that much worse from a debridement standpoint. Throwing a baseball/softball unfortunately is usually a whole different story. So if you're struck waiting don't give up on golf just yet!!

Sorry to hear Will, Hoping for a speedy recovery dude.

I feel for you. I have a torn labrum and need to have it repaired but since it is the left shoulder and I can get by I have put it off this long. Shoulder surgery is no joke. I have had 3 and all of them hurt like a mofo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

l just found out that I have a posterior labrum tear in my right shoulder and recovery time post surgery is 5-6 months. There goes a whole summer and fall of playing golf, playing baseball with my son and playing softball with my friends. At least I don't have the 'rona. But because of all that crap I probably won't even get it fixed for a month or longer. I'm super bummed. And worse, we can't even watch the freaking Masters on TV right now.

Will, I'm so sorry. I wish you a speedy recovery and watch lots of YouTube. Go Tigers

Sorry to hear this news. Hopefully when it can be fixed it is done correctly and recovery is effortless.

Back