CONTEST Share Your Tips Sponsored by Golf Pride

I use something like rubbermaid container to catch the extra grip solvent and then I pour it back into the container using a funnel. Makes a small bottle of grip solvent last quite a while.

^^ This, plus if you put a coffee filter in the funnel, it keeps any extra particles from getting poured back into your solvent bottle.

You can do it! Don’t struggle with grip installations! The simple secret for the easiest solvent and doubled sided tape installation is a little blast of air. Lose the fear and win the struggle of half stuck grips! Also a little blast of air makes for easy final adjustments to precise grip alignment.

MCC NDMC Blue Midsize +3 Wraps.
Tour SNSR Contour

For easier old tape removal I use a heat gun. It’s quick and easy. Follow with a little wipe down with some simple green.

Favorite Grip is Tour Velvet +4

You can do it! Don’t struggle with grip installations! The simple secret for the easiest solvent and doubled sided tape installation is a little blast of air. Lose the fear and win the struggle of half stuck grips! Also a little blast of air makes for easy final adjustments to precise grip alignment.

MCC NDMC Blue Midsize +3 Wraps.
Tour SNSR Contour

Over using more solution? I honestly haven't had that issue, but would think a blast of air, mixed with solution would get a bit messy, no?

Not at all. Just slide grip on a little ways then place a rag around the mouth of the grip as you apply the air. Easy Peezy!

Not at all. Just slide grip on a little ways then place a rag around the mouth of the grip as you apply the air. Easy Peezy!

I guess I just dont see the need. Not diminishing your way. If you use enough solution, the grip just slides right on anyway and adjustments move with no issue at all.

Anyone have any easier ways to remove tape when it keeps coming off in little teeny chunks? Even after hitting it with fire, it's maybe a fingernail amount at a time.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
Anyone have any easier ways to remove tape when it keeps coming off in little teeny chunks? Even after hitting it with fire, it's maybe a fingernail amount at a time.
The heat gun if you start removing the tape with it works great. Otherwise a rag with some goof off or bug and tar remover works well. Just be sure to clean the shaft with some simple green when done.

The heat gun if you start removing the tape with it works great. Otherwise a rag with some goof off or bug and tar remover works well. Just be sure to clean the shaft with some simple green when done.

I usually use simple green or windex when cleaning the grips. They remind me of the solution that Lamkin's gripes are soaked in, so I just kinda assumed that that's what it was.

I’m a heat gun guy. Just enough to where the tape starts to bubble. If not, I either scrape it off or will hit it with nail polish remover.

I have a heat gun and have never used it to remove tape but next time I need to regrip I'm going to use it!

I usually use simple green or windex when cleaning the grips. They remind me of the solution that Lamkin's gripes are soaked in, so I just kinda assumed that that's what it was.
The bug and tar remover leaves kind of a slick film on the shaft and tape doesn’t stick well. Howerev it’s great for removing smaller pieces or the old glue.

I’m a heat gun guy. Just enough to where the tape starts to bubble. If not, I either scrape it off or will hit it with nail polish remover.

Do you prefer heat gun when poppings shafts as well? Or the quick heat so not to damage the graphite? I've seen and used both, I always felt the heat gun was just doing more damage than I could ever see. Didn't think about it though for removing old tape.

The bug and tar remover leaves kind of a slick film on the shaft and tape doesn’t stick well. However it’s great for removing smaller pieces or the old glue.

Yeah I usually take a cloth and give it a good wipe down just to make sure I don't have a film or any sticky spots that are gonna bunch up the new tape and wrinkle it, but never though to use something like that to get the tape off too. Good call.

Entry:

I've never been fond of using a heat gun on graphite shafts, which all of mine are, so I don't use one for removing tape. I just soak the old tape with some mineral spirits, and peel/scrape it off.

Favorite Swing Grip: GP MCC +4 Midsize
Putter Grip: GP TOUR SNSR Straight

Last edited:
Entry:

Although I use mineral spirits for a lot of cleanup and tape removal, I prefer the non-flammable grip tape solvents for installing grips. Quart size squirt bottle doesn't cost all that much when you consider how long it will last just doing your own grips.

Favorite Swing Grip: GP MCC +4 Midsize
Putter Grip: GP TOUR SNSR Straight

Last edited:
Although I use mineral spirits for a lot of cleanup and tape removal, I prefer the non-flammable grip tape solvents for installing grips. Quart size squirt bottle doesn't cost all that much when you consider how long it will last just doing your own grips.

Totally agree.

With steel shafts, I use the blade of my utility knife to scrape stubborn tape off after hitting it with a little heat. Graphite is a bit different. I have a small plastic scraper that my wife got from pampered chef, use my heat gun, softens the tape, run the scraper up the shaft & the tape comes right off without damaging the shaft. A body trim tool from harbor freight would serve the same purpose.

With steel shafts, I use the blade of my utility knife to scrape stubborn tape off after hitting it with a little heat. Graphite is a bit different. I have a small plastic scraper that my wife got from pampered chef, use my heat gun, softens the tape, run the scraper up the shaft & the tape comes right off without damaging the shaft. A body trim tool from harbor freight would serve the same purpose.
I do this too

* I bought one of these to remove old tape and keep graphite shafts from damage: https://www.valuegolf.com/grip-tape-remover-scraper
* Lots of solvent
* 1/2 inch of tape at top of shaft folded over into shaft
* Use money saved regripping my clubs for beer.

Favorite grips:
* MCC Plus4 Align
* Pro Only Green Star

Attachments

• scraper.jpg
    scraper.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 4
Q: When you use an air compressor, how much pressure do you need?

After watching the live stream replay, scratch this question. :ROFLMAO:

Tour Velvet ALIGN Midsize
Tour SNSR Contour Pro (104cc)

Last edited:
You don't need a vice. Just a sink and your hands. Once you have put the solvent on over the sink - put the clubhead on the ground, one hand holding the shaft, and one towards the end of the grip - as long as you have enough solvent, you can get the grip on easily.

just remember.... you are using solvent. If you have PVC pipes, remember you are using solvent.
run hot water for a good period of time through the drain when you are done

Have the winners for this contest been announced yet?

My tip is pay someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Back