Can I find more distance with new irons

Chef23

2023 Srixon Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok so the Corona has me a little stir crazy. I had been thinking about getting fit this spring and likely will when things open up again.

About me: 53 years old, 4 handicap. I was better about 10 years ago playing between 0-2 handicap. Back then I carried driver 250, 8 iron 150, 6i 175 and these were very comfortable distances. Driver SS was 105 and 6i was 92. Fast forward 10 years and I had a lengthy illness that has cost me SS. At the end of last season my driver SS was 93 and 6i 82. Driver carries about 215 and 6i 158.

I have been working in the gym all winter on flexibility, strength and admittedly somewhat inconsistent use of Superspeed due to travel and crappy weather. Right now not sure if I have picked up any speed or distance as I haven’t had the opportunity get out in a course in decent weather or on a simulator for extended time.

Current irons are Srixon 545s with XCaliber Pro 85 stiff flex. I also have some i200s with Steelfibers i95s.

I am intrigued by the new hollow body irons like the Epic Forged, Cobra Forged Tec and Ping i500. If I could pick up 1 club in length that would be awesome but I don’t think I am in a bad fit right now. If I could get that increase I would be willing to spring for new irons. I don’t want to go total distance as I do like being able to knock shots down. I don’t care as much about being able to bend shots.

I am interested in any thoughts or if I am pretty much maxed out given my SS.

I will definitely get fit but just some pondering due to being golf starved.

I have Epic Forged irons now, was previously hitting Mizuno Hot Metals.
7 irons went from 145 in the Hot Metals, to 158 in the Epic Forged.
I would not go back. I will be 53 in a month.

IMO, you did the best thing you could working on your condition and swing speed. The fact that you don't know whether you have made any progress on your swing speed suggests you don't have a personal launch monitor or access to one. If you did, I suspect you'd make more progress in hitting it farther. Not only would you see whether or not the conditioning and SuperSpeed is helping. But you could work on specific swing adjustments and see which are keys to adding SS.

Your distances seem about right for your current swing speed. You don't seem to be losing a lot due to poor contact or sidespin. So, I think working on the swing speed is the right choice.

There are probably some players distance irons out there they will go farther, but not much and as you already figured out there is a risk they won't hold the greens as well.

I don't know if this will help with your decision, but I played the i500's for about 6 months and just found them inconsistent. When I hit the sweet spot they were good, but that just didn't seem to happen often enough. Of course, that could have been me.

I, like you, worked in the gym all winter long preparing for this spring. I also switched to the Apex CF19's last Fall and I found them much more consistent and much easier to find the sweet spot. I played about 5 rounds this year with the CF19's and my distance has definitely improved as well as my swing speed.

However, I bough some used Honma XP-1's because I wanted to try some irons that were a little more forgiving. Wow, what nice irons. Not only am I at least a club longer than the CF19's but my contact has improved significantly. I've only played about 4 rounds with them, but I'm having a hard time even considering going back to the Apex's. I will probably try the CF19's once the weather improves a little more, but right now, this honeymoon period with the Honma's is very nice.

I also upgraded to the Mavrik driver, 3w, 5w, and 4h from the Rogue and the Mavrik are definitely longer.

I was fit this year at club champion and similar to you had suffered some injuries that caused some set backs on swing speed, etc. i had been playing pings with a stiff shaft and shared like numbers as you. I was impressed with the fitting. I have heard both sides of how club champion is perceived, ie charge too much for clubs, etc. i found that where I was fitted there was no sale or rush to a club. I experimented with numerous head designs and numerous shafts. I can say by a proper fitting I gained a club length and tighter dispersion. I chose PXG 0211 for the feel and they ended up with a sale at the time being about $95 a club. I hit the Taylor made P790 a ton, but also a ton off line on mis hits. I did not like the new ping feel, and have always been a Ping or Titleist man. Through my fitting I became a fan of the Srixon. If it was not for the great deal on the PXG’s I would be bagging them. I was fitted into a KBS 110 R shaft which is making up for all that and then some of what I lost with age and injury. I am 56 and nursing Torn achilles and 2 knee surgeries.
I say go for it with a fitting and compare with what you have. Also do not be afraid to acknowledge your golf mortality when you ultimately get a new set of sticks. After all in our 20 some group of golfers, we all still get killed by a 70 plus year old who is deadly from 150 and in, great short game and drops putts all over us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Z545s are pretty long irons. You also have a lighter shaft. I am not sure how much more distance you can squeeze out of a new set of irons, certainly a little if you were willing to go to something like the Callaway Epic Forged irons, the longest irons I have ever played. I am also getting optimal distance from my Cobra Forged Tecs, but some of it is the shaft, which fits me perfectly. I think the only way you would find out is to get fit or go hit one of these types of irons, as soon as the opportunity avails itself.

You ten years ago sounds about like me today in regards to swing speeds and distances and I play z565’s.
Just get fitted, I’m wondering about the golf shaft honestly.

I think you can pick up more distance with a new set if you’ve been putting the work in the gym

i think it’s absolutely possible. stronger lofts, more forgiveness, hotter faces. but still the right launch and peak height. check back in once you get fit and let us know what you end up with.

I have two different sets of irons. One is 10 years older than the other. Both sets lofts are identical per club. Same shaft flex, and lie angle.

I hit both sets the same distance, per club.

Who knows. You would have to get fit to find out. I am sure there are longer irons out there, but if you like to flight the ball you may not find that kind of action in a set of hollow bodied irons. The entire point of the hollow body is to get weight under the ball so the launch angle jumps. That allows lower lofted clubs to go farther. It makes it more difficult to get the weight behind the ball which you need for lower flighted shots. I suspect if you found more distance you would find less ability to flight the ball. How much of that you are willing to lose is up to you.

I’m sure with the advances in technology in both head and shaft design you can pick up some yardage. As well based on your SS, don’t be afraid to be open on the flex of your irons. My SS is slightly higher than yours and the last 3 retail fittings (over past 4 years) my performance was better with regular flex with both recoils (hard-stepped F3, F3) & Steelfibres (R). I didn’t suffer with dispersion going to a lighter flex, best advice, go to a well respected fitter.

I’m at a similar age and SS as you at age 55 with a driver SS of about 105 and my Srixon Z765 8 iron carry is about 156 yards. I do think getting fitter, SuperSpeed training, and improving footwork and other mechanics makes it possible to pick up distance at any age. I picked up some distance especially with the longer clubs, last September by working with my Impact Snap trainer to improve my hand action through impact.

Other buddies of mine have increased their iron distance by switching to the Epic Forged irons but it did nothing for their distance off the tee. Please let’s not make this a debate about lofts and full disclosure, I own an Epic Forged 4 iron.

Thanks for all the feedback. I know fitness and fitting are the keys. Hopefully the weather will get better so I can get back on the Superspeed program. Once businesses open up again I am going to get fitted.

I have been thinking about a personal launch monitor for fun but the range I use is not flat and I have read things saying they don’t work well on a downhill range.

You ten years ago sounds about like me today in regards to swing speeds and distances and I play z565’s.
Just get fitted, I’m wondering about the golf shaft honestly.

I agree on the shaft front. I don’t want to give up the accuracy but I feel like I am on the edge of regular and stiff.

I changed out of really old custom irons into new fitted Wilson Staff with different shafts from my previous ones. Had no idea until fitting my spin was way to high on my former irons and now I'm hitting 10-15 yards further.

I agree on the shaft front. I don’t want to give up the accuracy but I feel like I am on the edge of regular and stiff.
I thought you were using a stiff?
If your using xstiff then that’s the problem.
You very well could need a regular now and honestly that’s what I was thinking to begin with.

I thought you were using a stiff?
If your using xstiff then that’s the problem.
You very well could need a regular now and honestly that’s what I was thinking to begin with.

I am in a lightweight stiff.

Ok so the Corona has me a little stir crazy. I had been thinking about getting fit this spring and likely will when things open up again.

About me: 53 years old, 4 handicap. I was better about 10 years ago playing between 0-2 handicap. Back then I carried driver 250, 8 iron 150, 6i 175 and these were very comfortable distances. Driver SS was 105 and 6i was 92. Fast forward 10 years and I had a lengthy illness that has cost me SS. At the end of last season my driver SS was 93 and 6i 82. Driver carries about 215 and 6i 158.

I have been working in the gym all winter on flexibility, strength and admittedly somewhat inconsistent use of Superspeed due to travel and crappy weather. Right now not sure if I have picked up any speed or distance as I haven’t had the opportunity get out in a course in decent weather or on a simulator for extended time.

Current irons are Srixon 545s with XCaliber Pro 85 stiff flex. I also have some i200s with Steelfibers i95s.

I am intrigued by the new hollow body irons like the Epic Forged, Cobra Forged Tec and Ping i500. If I could pick up 1 club in length that would be awesome but I don’t think I am in a bad fit right now. If I could get that increase I would be willing to spring for new irons. I don’t want to go total distance as I do like being able to knock shots down. I don’t care as much about being able to bend shots.

I am 59- Playing to a 6 right now. shoulder replacement two years ago helped and also sapped some distance.

I have gone to Maltby TS-2/TS-1 combination with Recoil 680 F-4=stiff and I have picked up distance. Really like them as they are low offset and I can shape them. They are certainly worth a look.

Thanks for all the feedback. I know fitness and fitting are the keys. Hopefully the weather will get better so I can get back on the Superspeed program. Once businesses open up again I am going to get fitted.

I have been thinking about a personal launch monitor for fun but the range I use is not flat and I have read things saying they don’t work well on a downhill range.
Sounds like you're on the right track about stuff. No need to look into irons until you assess what going on with yours in relation to SS. Get some range times, maybe even play a few rounds to get your swing in shape before you go and get fit. I can tell you from experience that with age, your SS will go down, so keep that in mind;)
I can also tell you from experience that steelfiber shafts play stiffer to flex so if you like the i200, maybe all you need is a shaft change, or if you like the steelfiber shafts maybe a change into a lighter flex might help. Again you'll find all of this out when you go a see a fitter.

I think you can get more -- I am 65, driver SS is similar (91-96 and increasing) but I get more out of the driver and 6i. Would also take a look at Mizuno Hot Metal Pro in graphite and with your 80g graphite, you might try R flex and see if your get more witout losing dispersion.

I've played Steelfiber 95 - Prefer Recoils or even better. a Recoil SmacWrap in sn 80g version works. Or go aftermarket like Accra or Mitsubishi Shafts. I200 were good, but Ihave a friend who played them and he loves the 710.

Last edited:
Isn't it interesting that when we are flexible we need a stiff shaft, and when we are stiff we need a more flexible shaft.

I am 12 years your senior and I am still seeing my driver 240+, 8 iron 155, and 6 iron going 175. So I think it is possible. I am gaming a Mavrik Max driver and using the Apex CF19 Irons with Recoil 780 SmacWrap shafts . At my driver fitting my SS varied between 93 and 96 mpg.

The way I've been playing, getting older and not as flexible, I'm looking at something like Cleveland HB Turbos. 6i - PW for my full shot clubs. I really don't care about being able to work the ball. Just get the ball into the air. The PW in the set is 44 degrees. I'll pick up a Callaway MD-5 48/10 S-grind to complement and cover the gap between the 54 and 58.

At this point, Cleveland is not offering custom fitting due to the Wuhan virus, so the lie angle will be 1 degree flatter than I play, but will that make a difference? I'll have to add 1" extensions in the shop.

Back