How would you play this shot (Round 2)

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
This is a par 4. I snap hooked my driver. The ball only went about 215 yards and I found myself in the left rough. From the photo, you cannot see the flag, but it is red. The hole was cut in the front of the green, about 163 yards away. However, as you can also see, I was now blocked by a fairly tall, wide and overall imposing tree. There was about an 8 mile an hour wind coming from right to left and from behind somewhat. I figure the options were:

1. Try to hit an iron over the tree;
2. Punch out and try to get up and down with a wedge;
3 Go around the tree with a big draw; or
4. Go around the tree with a big cut.

How would you play your shot?

B0996914-7E83-46E5-BD55-FD068D5C2EA6.jpeg

Ooh, limited visual info on this one.

I'm up and over every time. Stiff 9 probably. Lie looks decent and high balls are natural for my swing. Straight shot just left of the center of the tree in that little notch seems about right, depending on if left of the pin is a good looking putt.

If for some reason I had to go low I'd play a choked down punchy 6 drawing around the notch 1/3 of the way down on the right of the tree, trying to land it just short of the green. Looks decently soft.

Big massive Hook over the Red Hazard Stake in your picture.
155 to 160 yard club, hopefully it lands just short and rolls up to the hole pin high. If you fail to hook it, the ball should be in the right rough ready for a chip and putt up and down.

Straight over the tree second option. If you have the confidence to get it over the top of the Oaks.

It lie is not in your favor, or you just don't feel good about the prior options. Chip out safely to your favorite distance and get up and down hopefully for par.

Not actually too bad of a leave after a less than perfect drive. We have all had worse results with the Big stick. :drinks:

#2. I don't have the confidence to play #1, or the shot shaping skills to play #3 or #4. Choosing any of those three options would bring the possibility of a big number into play, so I'd take the safe route and hope for a par, settle for a bogey.

Big massive Hook over the Red Hazard Stake in your picture.
155 to 160 yard club, hopefully it lands just short and rolls up to the hole pin high. If you fail to hook it, the ball should be in the right rough ready for a chip and putt up and down.

Straight over the tree second option. If you have the confidence to get it over the top of the Oaks.

It lie is not in your favor, or you just don't feel good about the prior options. Chip out safely to your favorite distance and get up and down hopefully for par.

Not actually too bad of a leave after a less than perfect drive. We have all had worse results with the Big stick. :drinks:

The stake you reference is actually the 150 yard maker on the left side of the fairway.

At 163 out from the pin, I thought I needed an 8 iron, but didn’t take the wind into account sufficiently. I was not sure whether I could, but I cleared the tree easily, but wound up at the back of a fairly deep green and 3 putted for a bogey.

As I get older my adventurous side diminishes more and more. I would advance the ball out of the rough back into the fairway at a distance where you could at with your favorite wedge, then try to up and down and save par. In other words #2.

Definitely the same as you, 8i and take dead aim to go over the top.

It would kind of depend on where the trouble is up by the green and what the lie is like. I don’t have that much swing speed anymore but back when I could hit 8 iron 160 if I jumped on it if the lie was good that would be the play. Today I would hit 6 iron either to the right or left of the tree depending on what is around the green, try to work the ball a bit toward the green and depend on my short game to try and get up and down. I would want to get as close to the green as possible.

Firm 9-iron over the tree. If I thought I couldn't clear it, I'd then prefer a cut 8-iron but that wind could be dodgy.

Uphill lie from the look of it, so I would be going straight over the tree based on your description of the conditions with the wind

Up and over agressive swing 8 iron.i don't think the tree comes into play but it would be much better result than #3&#4

I’m going up top.

Over all day long if the lie was as decent as yours.

If the ball was sat up well I would play over the tree with a 9 iron hoping that I got a flyer and some wind assistance ;)

THIS.

Moving the ball up in my stance and unleashing a smooth 9 iron cutter pressing against that right to left wind.

I hit the ball super high. From 163* I am using my 23* hybrid and blasting it. I would adjust my aim for the green complex, but this shot is no big deal for me. I go over trees all the time. When I hear how far some of you hut irons it amazes me. I'm using a hybrid from 165 and you guys are in 8 and 9 irons. Good night.

8 or a 9 over the tree. Would probably grab the 9 just to sure I cleared the tree, and hope the wind takes it a bit.

From there, my 5i trying to hit over the tree... it's my 150y club... only the ball would make it to 2/3 from the top of the tree and drop straight down making it a worse shot.

9 iron over the right hand side of the tree, let the wind feed it in the rest of the way.

9i cut shot. I hit a natural cut so I will let it work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over the tree for me

Back