Stock Market & Retirement Planning

I would be interested in people's thoughts on the results of today's market? Huge unemployment numbers, I believe the estimate was 1.5mm, and the "actual" blows throught it, yet the market has a good day? Any thoughts? I can't believe the growth to be based strictly on the stimulus package? My thoughts are that people are remaining somewhat optimistic thinking that once this COVID-19 clears up that all the people who were laid off will go right back to having a job. Sorry if this doesn't apply to the threads overall title. I thought it did due to the market aspect.

I don't think economic numbers matter much right now, even a crazy unemployment number like we just got. It's all COVID and it's all financial market stability. If there was a macro-number I'd be looking at, it'd be consumer sentiment -- how comfortable are we going back to Disneyland and into restaurants when some promising drugs start surfacing?

I would be interested in people's thoughts on the results of today's market? Huge unemployment numbers, I believe the estimate was 1.5mm, and the "actual" blows throught it, yet the market has a good day? Any thoughts? I can't believe the growth to be based strictly on the stimulus package? My thoughts are that people are remaining somewhat optimistic thinking that once this COVID-19 clears up that all the people who were laid off will go right back to having a job. Sorry if this doesn't apply to the threads overall title. I thought it did due to the market aspect.

Still a lot of uncertainty with Covid 19 and how much economic damage will result both short and medium term. I can see the market testing new lows over the next month or two. I do think that we will recover but it may take 6-12 months.

Still a lot of uncertainty with Covid 19 and how much economic damage will result both short and medium term. I can see the market testing new lows over the next month or two. I do think that we will recover but it may take 6-12 months.
Definitely agree that we will recover over the next 6-18 months. It just seems as though in the past there was always some sort of reason we would see markets do what they do. Even these past few weeks with COVID-19 we could see either things being said or thing happening in the news that would explains ups and downs in the market. These past few days though I haven't really seen any explanation for rises except possibly light at the end of the tunnel???

Been dabbling with swing trading the last few weeks and can easily see how this is addicting.

Has there ever been a stock to short right now more than Alibaba?

Let’s get a snapshot with honesty.
With the latest run I’m less than 15% off since 1/1/20. I think there’s a chance I could end up “Even” for the year. BTW, I’m 5% in Cash ready to pick up additional bargains.

Let’s get a snapshot with honesty.
With the latest run I’m less than 15% off since 1/1/20. I think there’s a chance I could end up “Even” for the year. BTW, I’m 5% in Cash ready to pick up additional bargains.

Down 11% off the peak and would happy with flat for the year.

575FC105-93E4-4C50-B8FE-01CCC0EC093F.jpeg

I need to learn more about this stuff.

With my time at home this last month I've tried a bit of day trading for the first time. Small returns so far, but overall I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Which apps/platforms do people enjoy most? I'm using Robinhood, which has the bare bones in terms of features.

I use Vanguard but I dont really day trade

With my time at home this last month I've tried a bit of day trading for the first time. Small returns so far, but overall I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Which apps/platforms do people enjoy most? I'm using Robinhood, which has the bare bones in terms of features.

I use Schwab.

With today’s oil price, beware of email scams offering fractional shares of a supertanker

I do some day trading, though only in a funny-money account I can afford to lose. Most of it is automated. Interactive Brokers is good for serious day trading, but only if you trade enough to offset the additional data feed costs they charge. For something powerful but less complex, I highly recommend TD Ameritrade ... they have platforms for every level, with ThinkorSwim (their most complex platform) being pretty amazing for a free product.

Been dabbling with robinhood for the past two weeks. Some ETFs and even penny stocks- hit NAT a few days ago and on the upswing now. Crap is addicting but I like

Definitely agree that we will recover over the next 6-18 months. It just seems as though in the past there was always some sort of reason we would see markets do what they do. Even these past few weeks with COVID-19 we could see either things being said or thing happening in the news that would explains ups and downs in the market. These past few days though I haven't really seen any explanation for rises except possibly light at the end of the tunnel???

Long term?

Buy gold and a lot of it. Not the paper stuff either.

Treasury issues bonds and the fed buys them. Shuffling money around to the tune of 9 more trillion on top of 22 trillion not including requirements which pushes it to 120 trillion. Deflation then hyperinflation.

Buy gold if you can find a place that has it.

Long term?

Buy gold and a lot of it. Not the paper stuff either.

Treasury issues bonds and the fed buys them. Shuffling money around to the tune of 9 more trillion on top of 22 trillion not including requirements which pushes it to 120 trillion. Deflation then hyperinflation.

Buy gold if you can find a place that has it.

That really depends on your time horizon. Gold went from the $2000s down to the 400s between 1980 and 2000. Straight down for 20 years. If you have a REALLY long investment horizon and can stomach that, sure, but I wouldn't call gold a safe investment by any measure.

That really depends on your time horizon. Gold went from the $2000s down to the 400s between 1980 and 2000. Straight down for 20 years. If you have a REALLY long investment horizon and can stomach that, sure, but I wouldn't call gold a safe investment by any measure.

In this market with another 9 trillion tacked onto 22+ trillion in debt? Nothing in history compares to today. As Munger said recently, "No one knows what is about to happen." However, an educated guess is history will repeat itself. The fed will follow in the footsteps of their foreign predecessors as they are now. Fed buys treasuries and securities until our 106% debt to GDP pops and the dollar cracks. Gold and minerals will be your only investment as everything else will be worthless. Timeline for this was 2043 assuming congress did nothing to curb spending. Now its closer to 2031.

Gold, Gold Miners, Gold streamers and royalty companies will be the only investment.

Just please, don’t fall into the trap of throwing good money after bad. I’ve seen people who start day trading go deep into the red doing that.

In this market with another 9 trillion tacked onto 22+ trillion in debt? Nothing in history compares to today. As Munger said recently, "No one knows what is about to happen." However, an educated guess is history will repeat itself. The fed will follow in the footsteps of their foreign predecessors as they are now. Fed buys treasuries and securities until our 106% debt to GDP pops and the dollar cracks. Gold and minerals will be your only investment as everything else will be worthless. Timeline for this was 2043 assuming congress did nothing to curb spending. Now its closer to 2031.

Gold, Gold Miners, Gold streamers and royalty companies will be the only investment.

So you are contradicting yourself... You believe that No one knows what is about to happen, but are stating to only buy gold and minerals like you know what they are going to do. You don't, nobody does. This is why diversification is key. To throw all your money in gold or any 1 asset is foolish.

So you are contradicting yourself... You believe that No one knows what is about to happen, but are stating to only buy gold and minerals like you know what they are going to do. You don't, nobody does. This is why diversification is key. To throw all your money in gold or any 1 asset is foolish.

Not contradicting. No body knows but the dominoes are lining up for deflation then hyperinflation. The dollar will not be the reserve currency for much longer.

Back