Driver Length: What is your driver playing at?

Replaced a 45.5 inch PING G400 Max with a 44.5 inch Cobra SpeedZone Extreme. Loved the G400 Max, except the length. I'd usually played drivers at 44.5 or 45.

Replaced a 45.5 inch PING G400 Max with a 44.5 inch Cobra SpeedZone Extreme. Loved the G400 Max, except the length. I'd usually played drivers at 44.5 or 45.
Why not just shorten the max and get a heavier weight plug ?

45"

I'm right around 45" now. I was around 44.5" for the longest, but when I went to a 60g shaft, I had to pick up length to keep a playable swingweight. It's still kinda low so I'm thinking of going out to 45.5" to get back a couple of points.

Why not just shorten the max and get a heavier weight plug ?

I tried that and it just didn't play the same. It made no sense at all. Put a stock length shaft back in it and it was fine...

I tried that and it just didn't play the same. It made no sense at all. Put a stock length shaft back in it and it was fine...

What shaft is in the Cobra?

I play a 44" it is what was in the club when I bought it. My next shaft I will probably go with a 45-45.5.

I’m sporting 45” in the Mav SZ from the grandaddy and (once I unlocked the cheat code by dropping the weight in the head weights) I am absolutely loving the shorter length. Im shorter in height (5’10) with long ish arms so I feel more comfortable with a shorter shaft.

I’m sporting 45” in the Mav SZ from the grandaddy and (once I unlocked the cheat code by dropping the weight in the head weights) I am absolutely loving the shorter length. Im shorter in height (5’10) with long ish arms so I feel more comfortable with a shorter shaft.

45" shorter?

You dropped the weight when you went shorter?

I play my driver at 45.25. But I always choke down a bit as it is a comfort thing. So playing length is probably 44.75-45. Guessing a bit and I am not sure how much I really choke down. Just know that I do.

Last edited:
I play my driver at 44.25. But I always choke down a bit as it is a comfort thing. So playing length is probably 44.75-45. Guessing a bit and I am not sure how much I really choke down. Just know that I do.

If you're choking down, wouldn't the playing (effective) length be shorter than actual length?

If you're choking down, wouldn't the playing (effective) length be shorter than actual length?

sorry I typed the first length wrong and didn’t notice. 45.25 total. 44.75-45 playing.

sorry I typed the first length wrong and didn’t notice. 45.25 total. 44.75-45 playing.

Gotcha. Makes sense. My kid's driver is 45" and I think he chokes down nearly 1.5"... maybe more sometimes. Crazy kid hits it as far as I do though.

So many short players.

I'm already playing with the smaller head, I need all the shaft I can get.

Cobra's tour length, whatever that is.

But the more relevant answer is: always 0.5" shorter/longer than what it should have been to hit a perfect drive.

I have always played standard but never been fit. I drive long but have a bad slice, curious if a shorter shaft might help that.

44 5/8” long. It’s perfect. Heavier head with the tip stiffened slightly to account for the extra weight.

Currently playing at 45”.

Currently playing at 45.75” with my M4 and stock Fujikura Atmos Red 5 but as soon as my Tensei White 60S and head weights show up, it’s going to 45” like my old M3 was. It just seems to be the best length for me. No loss of club head speed and I hit a lot more fairways. With a long and lighter driver shaft, I get a little over the top and maybe out to in and I end up with a 2 way miss. Much better swing with a heavier and slightly shorter shaft.

I’m currently playing my F9 at 45.5” and I could easily game something shorter. One thing I’ve noticed is that my swing speed doesn’t really drop off with a shorter driver.
I think I can sync up my swing better with the shorter club.

One of these days I want to get a hold of a nice 80g shaft and build out a 44" driver. Curious how it would play.

One of these days I want to get a hold of a nice 80g shaft and build out a 44" driver. Curious how it would play.
There is a guy on youtube that put a 40" shaft in a driver and totally blast it. I also found for me using a lighter shaft at 44.5 increases my swing speed which results in longer hits which most would say the extra inch would be faster swing speeds, yet that simply is not my results.

When I go to a heavier stiffer 45-46" shaft I lose quite a bit of yardage on average. So many different variables for different swings.

44.75 ‘fo life.

In 2019 I played an M2 at 44” and my accuracy/distance trade off was pretty good. Trying the Mavrik at standard length this year (45.75”) so will have to see if the extra length is a problem.

I also have a Burner Superfast that is cut down to 43” and hotmelted. It’s great for when the swing is off a bit

Back