Stuck between clubs; which way do you go?

You're right between two clubs' distance, which way do you go?

• Total voters

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Less club and hit it hard or more club and knock it down?

No wind.
No hazards really in play.
Middle pin.
You're between clubs you're comfortable with so that's not a reason to drop down.

Just, are you more comfortable taking a bit off or going after it a bit more?

I used to like to knock it down, but lately, I've had more luck hitting less club hard.

Take a bit off and knock one down, I’d never want to over swing.

Take more and knock it down. I’ve tried the “swing harder” thing and it doesn’t bode well for my scores or enjoyment.

Take more club. If a perfect shot puts me past the pin, that's ok. A less than perfect strike puts me pin high.
For me, hitting a club doesnt work since anything less than perfection wont get me to the flag so their is no
margin of error.

Better to swing easy than get ugly trying to over power a shot.

Take more, grip down slightly, regular swing.
Let it rip.

I will take more club 9 out of 10 times.

I'm way more accurate clubbing up and taking a less than full swing as opposed to swinging over 100%

I can't "lay off" of a club. It always ends disastrous for me. I never know how much to lay off. I'm better off giving it just a bit extra at the bottom of my swing. If I give a bit extra at the top of my swing, it's equally disastrous.

Most of the time some little version of more club. Occasionally if I am super pumped or happy with a miss as a layup, I’ll take a big swing. :)

Learning to hit/punch little versions of irons was a big step for me. I used to decelerate those swings. Bad things happened. ;)

Tough go at these buy more club is always better. Smooth easy swing

Finally figured this one out last year. I had a gapping issue and had to knock down my PW a few yards. It finally clicked and I’ve managed to do the same with my other clubs. Typically have much more success with this than I do trying to muscle it.

More club, depends on the course, I tend to never be long

More club.

I have zero overall preference. It's different for every shot, and I'd wager I'm close to 50/50.

I can't "lay off" of a club. It always ends disastrous for me. I never know how much to lay off. I'm better off giving it just a bit extra at the bottom of my swing. If I give a bit extra at the top of my swing, it's equally disastrous.
This!

I'd take more club, but choke down on the grip. Then give it my normal swing. If any thing, I might be a little long on the pin location.

This has worked for me in the past when in between clubs.

I'm way more accurate clubbing up and taking a less than full swing as opposed to swinging over 100%

I'm not sure hitting over 100% is even possible. I'm just saying swing a little harder than normal.

Almost every time that I try to lay off a club, I will leave it out well to the right.

I'd take more club, but choke down on the grip. Then give it my normal swing. If any thing, I might be a little long on the pin location.

This has worked for me in the past when in between clubs.

I do this once in a while, but I've started choosing the shorter club unless the wind is a big factor.

More club and knock it down since I've had more success with that recently

Try this. Just shorten your backswing, but do everything else normally. If anything slow down your backswing a bit so the tempo is identical to your full swing.

More club and knock it down. It rarely turns out well when I try to step on a club to get more yardage.

The smart move is always always always take one club more and swing easier. More control and less bad things happen.

I always take one club less and try to smash the skin off it. Bad things happen.

Back