How would you play this, billionth edition

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Yanked on left today. Lucked out to even find it here. Had ~160y to the hole and nothing to do.20200427_151850.jpg

It was at the base of the tree with no RH swing available, nearly buried under leaves, and in the middle of an ant swarm.

What would you have done?

No problem. Grab my 6i and punch out to the fairway. I have an advantage though... LH.

No problem. Grab my 6i and punch out to the fairway. I have an advantage though... LH.

It may have been an advantage in this instance, but I'll stick to swinging right. For the record, if I did hit from the other side, I may have been able to get an 8 or 9 iron over the tree and cut back to the fairway just short of the hole.

It may have been an advantage in this instance, but I'll stick to swinging right. For the record, if I did hit from the other side, I may have been able to get an 8 or 9 iron over the tree and cut back to the fairway just short of the hole.
Ok, if I were swinging RH I think I’d see if I could get a 60* wedge swing in there. If so, I’m playing a knock down punch shot out and to the fairway. If not, I’m taking my 5i turned over and bunting it out of trouble - hopefully to fairway again.

Ok, if I were swinging RH I think I’d see if I could get a 60* wedge swing in there. If so, I’m playing a knock down punch shot out and to the fairway. If not, I’m taking my 5i turned over and bunting it out of trouble - hopefully to fairway again.

Yeah, I tried a flipped 8i and it didn't work out too well. Should have taken the unplayable, sucked up the penalty, and moved on.

Been working on my left handed shots thanks to swingspeed. I think I am whacking it through the opening... With a 7 iron

i’ll go with my 3h with the same thought...#leftapalooza

Where is the goal direction? Top right of the picture over the cart path?

That's likely the safest route. Pin was over the top left.
That's probably where I would punch. I feel like I could get between the ball and the tree enough to get a partial on that and get out to the fairway. If I couldn't for some reason I'd do the backward facing wedge punch the same direction. I am curious what is over to the mid-high left of the picture though. Another fairway? Because it looks like there might be an out that direction I'm totally fine with playing my approach from a different fairway.

That's probably where I would punch. I feel like I could get between the ball and the tree enough to get a partial on that and get out to the fairway. If I couldn't for some reason I'd do the backward facing wedge punch the same direction. I am curious what is over to the mid-high left of the picture though. Another fairway? Because it looks like there might be an out that direction I'm totally fine with playing my approach from a different fairway.

This was hole #10. Hole #11 is directly to the left of the tree on the left of the pic. I don't think I had an out over there or I would have considered it.

I reckon I could squeeze in tight enough to be be able to choke down on a 6 or 7 iron and attempt a punch back onto the fairway. Is tough though, good chance of leaving it still in the trees at least once more.

Two club lengths away from where the ball is. Fish it out with my 6 iron. Take an unplayable lie penalty. The one stroke penalty is less than what would happen. Now if that crap is poison oak.....

pretend I can't find the ball. declare it lost. Take a two stroke penalty and drop a new ball on the edge of the fairway.

It all depends on what I am shooting through. If it is impossible for me to hit, I simply take the penalty and get it somewhere I can hit it.

Unplayable for me. I'd likely grit my teeth and take my medicine.

I flip a club upside and swing lefty back into play or more likely go for the miracle swing super hard with a hybrid with my back to the tree and count on the brush slowing the swing down so I don't go long.

Back