How did you build your WITB?

I looked thru the bargain bin at the local goodwill!
Found smoke black apex 19 irons in my exact flex and specs.
That's gross. Best I found before giving up was a mid-70s Hogan driver (with Speed Slot!).

I've been upgrading irons every 4 years. Hybrids have stayed the same since I bought the Apex 4 & 5. Top of the bag changes every other year to yearly. Depending on how much I can get trading up or selling. Wedges has been on average every other year.

Putter is purely a emotional purchase.:unsure::love::sneaky::giggle: :cool:

I tested and reviewed my Ghost putter for Taylormade 9 years ago and it never left the bag.
I tried a buddy's driver last year and fell in love, so I bought one.
The same with my current 3 wood.
I tried several irons until I hit the current ones and bought them late last season.
The wedges have been the same models for a few years. Just replaced them as needed.

A friend of mine works for a major OEM doing demo days, corporate events etc... He always recommends that beginners and, or, high handicap players "build their bag" by starting with 7 or 8 clubs, and as their skill level improves they can add clubs to the bag.

Between some careful purchases, some haphazard purchases, some hand-me-downs, and a generous offer by a generous THP'er have allowed me to build a bag that is ALMOST what I want.

Blind trials that worked (Cobra Fly-Z+ driver, 3/4 fwy, 3/4 hyb, 4/5 hyb); some that didn't work as well as hoped (W/S V4 irons, Adams Red 20* hyb); and some still up in the air (Stroke Lab Seven, Marxman).

Current Speedzone irons were a 'compromise' after being fitted for F9s in January. Thank goodness CC couldn't get the older heads at the time. Shafts are a little short for me, but playable in the short term.

One wedge was a CPO trial that stuck. The other was courtesy of @JasonFinleyCG and @AJVCG . (y) There might be room for one more around 52*, since I still have the old set's GW (51*) in there behind the new set's GW (48*).

Putters are a mix of what felt good in a store (TM Berwick, Cleveland TFI 2135 6.5) and CPO trials (Stroke Lab Seven, Marxman).

For me it has been buy and try. Lots of money wasted trying clubs that i like the looks of but refuse to work with my terrible swing.

I try not to have a bunch of extra stuff. So I do a lot of testing and trying before I buy. I luckily have good access to equipment and launch monitors so I can fully flesh everything out.

That does not mean everything is perfect or actually makes sense in the end.

It was a combo of what was on sale, reading on here, fittings, testing on the range and the course, impulse buying over the last 3 years.

I test everything at work and go with what I like the feel of, I prefer a certain feel versus purely data based. I’m fortunate to have access to TrackMan so I can gather as much data as possible, I won’t give up ten yards, but I will give up five if I like the feel of a combination more than what I am playing. I tend to work back from the green as well, wedges are always the hardest for me to commit to.

Well, I did it. Bought the Apex 19 4h today. It'll replace the 4i from my Srixon set.

I actually put together my bag based on my most favorite experiences in golf. I have tried so many different types of clubs. So when I out it together I just pieced together what I liked best. I retesting thing is that everything I like is Ping. I have Ping Sing irons white fit 3-SW. Ping Zing blonde driver and fairway woods. And I have a Ping B60 putter that I alternate with a Ping Pal 6 putter (becu).

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I don't like the buy and try approach, I did it for years - it's expensive and I suck at selling things, so I end up with a garage full of reject clubs. Now I do a lot of research and testing (and preferably a fitting) before I buy anything.

Back