How Much Do Shaft Aesthetics Play a Role?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I know we have had a number of THPers head to Project X to design and roll their very own shaft, but for those that have not, how much does the look play a role?

I've said it before, performance is more important to me than anything.
I love a great looking shaft, but in the end, I will always choose results over looks.

Less than zero percent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Performance the most, I don't really concern myself much with the rest too much, yet when I have a choice I like the lighter colors on the shafts.

Look on a shaft? I think its the same as most everything, looks grabs your attention and at a minimum makes you want to try it. If the performance is there too that is a huge bonus. Sometimes the ugly one works better and you have to decide if you can deal with it.

I am a shameless golfer. I’ve had a belly putter in the bag, one of my personal best rounds was with my grandmother’s pink-shafted clubs, and I just walked my dog at lunch while wearing Zubaz. Shaft looks generally don’t factor into my decision making process.

Shaft, none at all. Head aesthetics however does comes into play.

I really couldn't care less I am a results guy. I played the purple and yellow ProForce back in the day and it didn't bother me at all.

man this is a tough one, if it busy idk, sometimes to much aesthetics grab your attention from what your actually trying to do.
on a regular club i guess its going to get an ok from me.
on a putter, no, chrome shaft and thats it for me.

i like the look coming out of the bag but mostly because i know it performs! most graphics are face down anyways...

i honestly can't remember ever paying attention to this.

so....i guess my answer is "not at all."

Zero for me

I would be lying if it didn't have an influence. It is not large though. There are lots of shafts out there with similar profiles, even if they are not built exactly the same. That does not mean they are equal but you can find something that will work that looks good is all that I am saying.

Performance trumps everything.

The head cover aesthetics play more of a role than the shaft aesthetics.

I don't think I've ever been turned off of a shaft because of looks. Looks may draw my attention to learn more about it but as long as it works for my swing I don't care what it looks like.

I feel like you basically wear your clubs out there, so to me, it matters a little. Maybe more than a little.

Not at all. My current driver shaft is a Tour AD IZ which is probably one of the ugliest color combos around, but it performs so it stays.

Not too much when it comes to shafts. A clear coat over the carbon would be perfect to me!! I like seeing the tech!

If the shaft works for me, I wouldn't care about looks. That said, if I designed the shaft myself, I would really care a considerable amount about the looks.

It does to an extent. If I find something that I absolutely love the play, but hate the look, I might be tempted to keep looking for something that performs on the same level.

I'd say 5-10% of my shaft preference is linked to how it looks. Performance is no doubt king for me.

Look on a shaft? I think its the same as most everything, looks grabs your attention and at a minimum makes you want to try it. If the performance is there too that is a huge bonus. Sometimes the ugly one works better and you have to decide if you can deal with it.

Agree with this 100%

Even though it should not, it plays a big role for me. If I don’t like the looks of a shaft I do not give it a chance, which I know is dumb

While it wouldn't change my mind if I were fit into it, there are certain shafts out there that aren't visually appealing to me.

Back