Combo Sets: Where do you split?

If I were to assess my game... I know I need forgiveness in the 4 & 5 Iron. The 6 is usually pretty good but considering the benefits lets take some additional forgiveness. This leaves the 7. In my opinion a 7 iron is a comfort club and I will take the chance for a split here.

I change to utility irons at the 4, then 5-PW in a blade.

I think it's personal preference at the 7-8 iron.

I'm a big fan of the way Hogan did it with the UT in the 4 iron spot, PD in 5-7 and blades or less forgiving 8-PW. I think that's exactly how I would like a combo set to be setup for me.

I have MP20 mb down to 6i. 4 and 5i are jpx919

Mine is G700 6-U wedge then Cleveland RTX4 52 and 56 degree wedges. That is my combo set!;)

I'll start at driver... with the easiest to hit and most accurate club... and go down from there:)

I like the 7/8 split best - historically I love forged CB/MB sets that flow at this transition. Could pretty easily be talked into 6/7 as well. Last season I played Z-Forged from 5-PW and U65 @ 3 & 4, so that was a 4/5 split. It was fun, but definitely required stout self belief to regularly be pulling a blade from 200 yards out.

Current set I'm playing is a split set at the 6/7.

My backup set I do the split at 4/5 iron or 3/4 iron depending on the top of the bag setup.

Some ideas I've had when thinking about the split is where in the bag do you want to switch from aiming middle of the green to aiming at the flag. Others are when I want more ballspeed or launch (gapping isnt working out)

The hardest part of a split set for me is the fact that you cant really test it out easily since most fittings are done with only a 6 or 7 iron.

Six iron. In or out depends on amount of practice

I like the 6/7 split personally, that was the only thing I didn’t like about the Callaway Apex 19 combo set

I wanted to have an AP3 4 & 5-iron and AP2 6-iron on down. However, when I was testing I found that the 5-iron was just so hot I couldn’t even bend the 5 and 6 irons to give me reasonable gapping.

So I ended up getting an AP3 6-iron a degree weak and an AP2 7-iron a degree strong. I was nervous about it at first but I have had pretty reliable numbers through that portion of my big as a result.

I play my Apex combo 4-6, and 7-GW. It seems to be the best fit.

I really wish in the Apex they would split 6/7 instead of 7/8.

My current set the 3 and 4 are utility irons and then from the 5 down are the same

4,5,6 usually I get the easier to hit option

I have a combo combo set. 3-4-5 hybrid, 6 iron T300, 7-PW T200

Mine changes after the 6i

Z785 4i - 6i
Z-Forged 7i - PW

My backup Srixon combo set that I bought second hand went 4-5 (Z565), 6-7 (Z765) and 8-PW (Z965). I thought those breaks were pretty good and never had problems with going from model to model.

My new set this year I decided to go straight Apex Pros (5-PW) primarily due to the forgiveness built in and I am not a big fan of a thicker top line although not bad in the regular Apex 19. Time will tell if that was a good decision or not, haven’t even had a chance to hit them yet and still no date when courses are opening up here 😡😡😡!

I play the Apex CF-19 Smoke combo set and they split at the 7i. The longer irons give me the forgiveness I need and the scoring irons are the profile I like to look down at. I am by no means prolific with the scoring irons, but they fit my eye and that is what matters to me.

If I split, typically at 4 or 4 and 5 for me.

I play the 565's 4-6i and the 765's up from there. Seems to be a good split for me.

I’d split at the 6 iron in a combo set. My confidence starts to drop above the 7-iron.

This isn't easy... I like my 6 iron

I currently play four different models of irons not including my Cleveland wedges.

Z965 GW, PW, 9 iron
Z765 8, 7 irons
Z565 6, 5 irons
Callaway Epic Forged 4 iron.

I have spilt sets at the 7, 8 and 9 irons. The one that worked the best for me was splitting it at the 9 iron.

Back