How important are writing skills?

Who important are writing skills?

• What are writing skills?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
If you were paying someone to write for you... could be an internet article, a news report, or maybe something as simple as a community newsletter, how important are writing skills to you? Would you expect your writer to know the difference between words like to, too, and two; they're, there, and their; then and than; etc. or would you figure grammar and writing skills are not that important any longer as long as the message gets across?

Last edited:
Writing skills are essential, in my opinion. Even the typo in your question bothered me. So if I’m paying someone to write for me, it’s mission critical.

Writing is used a whole lot at my work, and I know that I’m picky and hold folks to a very high standard. What I always say is if you’re using the wrong word or wrong type, the entire purpose of your report could be lost at a very important point.

Writing skills are essential, in my opinion. Even the typo in your question bothered me. So if I’m paying someone to write for me, it’s mission critical.

Writing is used a whole lot at my work, and I know that I’m picky and hold folks to a very high standard. What I always say is if you’re using the wrong word or wrong type, the entire purpose of your report could be lost at a very important point.

I agree with all of that. It especially comes across as ridiculous when the writer is supposed to be intelligent.

I couldn't count on all my fingers and toes the numbers of emails I received in my military career from people who were supposed to be educated, people who were in control of my life, and they'd put "do to" instead of "due to" in their email. From then on, I could never look at them the same. I mean, if you don't know the difference in due and do, then we have a problem.

... emails I received in my military career from people who were supposed to be educated, people who were in control of my life, and they'd put "do to" instead of "due to" in their email.
... I mean, if you don't know the difference in due and do, then we have a problem.
I agree, and hold myself to the same standard.

I agree, and hold myself to the same standard.

I try, as much as possible. I find that now, especially when I'm not wearing my glasses, I'll leave out a letter (especially in a long word) or transpose letters here and there because my brain sees the letters and "reads" the word correctly. It's simple to spell words correctly nowadays since spell check is so common. I think where people get caught up is when they're not smart enough to use the right word. Spell check isn't going to help you if you're spelling the wrong word right.

It's kind of important to me. If I'm reading something that is "professionally" produced and has typo's and errors in it I tend to discount the information provided regardless of the source.

Reading, writing, and verbal communication skills a as important as it gets in everyday life. All of these go hand in hand with each other..

If a "paid" writer is not proficient in their communication skills, they shouldn't be getting paid to write.

Exactly. Would you think it matters more or less whether they are getting paid monetarily or compensated by other means (car parts, golf clubs, kitchen knives, etc.)?

Exactly. Would you think it matters more or less whether they are getting paid monetarily or compensated by other means (car parts, golf clubs, kitchen knives, etc.)?
Interesting question. Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking being paid with money, would require more professionalism. Money is something earned

Compensation by other means is more of a gift. Gifts don't necessarily need to be earned.

Being able to communicate clearly is one of the skills needed to be successful! I am astounded by supposedly "educated" people who cannot really communicate verbally, or in writing!! We have 'dummed down' our education system that we are turning out 'dunces' with degrees!!!!

Compensation by other means is more of a gift. Gifts don't necessarily need to be earned.

Interesting take. I think if the person is being gifted the items in addition to a monetary salary, then they're gifts. If the arrangement, from the outset, is writing or material compensation, then the writer should be professional and earn the compensation.

The ability to write eloquently, and properly is a refined skill. Personally, I cannot stand to read something that has barely been spell-checked, let alone composed in a way that would bring life to the piece.

Exactly. It's even worse when the writer is touted as a great writer and a "god" amongst others.

Writing is very important to me. I voted for this one:

Very important; paid writer's should be educated enough to write proficiently

However, it should read “writers,” not “writer’s.” That grammatical error is now fixed.

:LOL: Just having fun with you, @OGputtnfool.

The ability to write eloquently, and properly is a refined skill. Personally, I cannot stand to read something that has barely been spell-checked, let alone composed in a way that would bring life to the piece.

Personally, I HATE autocorrect. I can’t tell you how many times I have looked back at a quick blurb I have written only to see that it was “corrected“ into error, which mortifies me.

If you were paying someone to write for you... could be an internet article, a news report, or maybe something as simple as a community newsletter, how important are writing skills to you? Would you expect your writer to know the difference between words like to, too, and two; they're, there, and their; then and than; etc. or would you figure grammar and writing skills are not that important any longer as long as the message gets across?
I obviously don't see it as often with professional pieces but then/than mistakes are rampant. It is so bad I think it is being taught incorrectly.

Clear writing is usually an indication of clear thinking.
:oops::oops::rolleyes::oops: Uh oh... I find I tend to be too wordy, or verbose...

Writing is very important to me. I voted for this one:

Very important; paid writer's should be educated enough to write proficiently

However, it should read “writers,” not “writer’s.” That grammatical error is now fixed.

:LOL: Just having fun with you, @OGputtnfool.

It's all good. I'm not being paid to write this stuff.

Back