BigDill’s Pickles

BigDill

2023 Morgan Cup - Team Hackers - Cobra Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We are a family who loves a good pickle. Dill, kosher, spices, half sour, you name it, we love them. A lot of our meals involve some sort of picked something, usually store or deli bought. We have talked about trying to make our own pickles for years, but have never got around to it....until today! With the unanticipated time on our hands, I decided to have the kids give me a hand and try to make some pickles.

I went with a recipe that was simple and a bit of a combination of a few that I have seen on the internet. The basic brine is made up of 2:1 vinegar to water, and then 2:1 sugar to salt. So for this try we went with:

2c white distilled vinegar
1c cool tap water
1/2c sugar
1/4 salt

To that we added some store bought McCormick picking spice which is a combination bay leaf, coriander seed, mustard seed, cinnamon, all spice, ginger, clove, red and black pepper, mace and cardamom. We added two tablespoons to our base brine.

I think that with all the “fall spices” in there it was a bit sweet, and I’ll probably make my own spice mix going forward, but I wanted to start with something easy. So to spice it up a bit I added about 5 whole garlic cloves, a slice of red onion, and some garlic powder to bring the brine down a bit in sweetness.

89F9700A-5C33-441F-A43C-1A8A1A73D709.jpeg

I brought the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes while I got the cucumbers ready for their bath.

18990263-E454-4BED-BAB8-BFCA96269398.jpeg

I split the brine into two parts so I could make one batch regular for the kids, and the second batch spicy for me and Mrs. Dill. I figured I would throw two scotch bonnet peppers in there, seeds removed and cut into rings. I tossed them into the half of the brine I left in the pot and let them steep in the hot brine for about 3 minutes on the stove, then I removed from heat. I let the brine cool to warm while stuffing the containers full of half cucumbers and some fresh dill.

0D26383F-F846-4F7E-A7DF-F383DA6FB915.jpeg

Once cool enough, I poured the brines over their respective cucumber containers. I came up a bit short on brine so I topped each off with a bit of water and a splash of vinegar. Wiped them both down and tossed them in the fridge to sit for a day or so before trying.

15C5F300-CE89-4514-B732-4EDA290746DB.jpeg

I’m looking forward to trying them later in the week. I don’t have high expectations, but I did learn the process pretty well and look forward to giving it another try once I see these results. I’ll pop back in after a few days and let everyone know how they came out. The process took me about 30 minutes and was really kid friendly. My 6 and 8 year olds had a blast helping me and measuring out the ingredients. For those of us with some time on our hands, make some pickles and tell us how they turn out!

Last edited:
Nice! Curious how they turn out for you.

I love home made pickles. The crunch is so much better and these look delish!

I didn’t know what to expect when I opened this thread but it was right down broadway. You can count me out on pickles but I like me some @BigDill

Can’t wait to hear how these turn out for you. I too love pickles and pickled vegetables.

Those look awesome, can't wait to hear how they turned out!

Can't await to hear how they came out. My grandmother used to make the best refrigerator garlic dill pickles. Loved them ice cold on a hot summer's day. She did a lot of canning too, but the refrigerator dills were my favorite.

I love pickles, but have never pickeled anything on my own.

GG loves pickles but has never done pickling before. I think she would enjoy this.

Great job on those!!! My parents canned/pickled every summer, sweet pickles and dill pickles.

Heck yeah man, bring the spicy ones to Kinderlou.

Heck yeah man, bring the spicy ones to Kinderlou.
If Kinderlou happens this year, and these are any good, I’ll bring a freaking bucket full.

Love it. I make homemade pickles at least once a month. I use the sous vide. 90 minutes to perfect crunch pickles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love it. I make homemade pickles at least once a month. I use the sous vide. 90 minutes to perfect crunch pickles.

How does that work? I understand the sous vide process, but what is the process?

Love home made pickles! Looks like a good recipe!

Pickles are great and the idea of pickling is neat but I'm afraid I'd get it wrong and what I was trying to pickle would go bad and kill me. So I don't try.

I like you BigDill but I’d ban this thread if I could 😂😂

Translation: I abhor pickles with my entire being

Nicely done!

I miss homemade pickles. My grandmother used to have the best homemade baby dills. I could never put in the time/effort to crow the cucumbers like she did.

On a side note, I have done a couple quick batches of pickled cauliflower in the past month. So good!

I honestly forgot how polarizing pickles are. Some people love them, others despise them.

But my favorite pickles item by far is Chicago-style giardiniera. I think that may be my next project.

Here's hoping they turn out better than Aunt Bee's kerosene cucumbers!

1589118299326.png

We are a family who loves a good pickle. Dill, kosher, spices, half sour, you name it, we love them. A lot of our meals involve some sort of picked something, usually store or deli bought. We have talked about trying to make our own pickles for years, but have never got around to it....until today! With the unanticipated time on our hands, I decided to have the kids give me a hand and try to make some pickles.

I went with a recipe that was simple and a bit of a combination of a few that I have seen on the internet. The basic brine is made up of 2:1 vinegar to water, and then 2:1 sugar to salt. So for this try we went with:

2c white distilled vinegar
1c cool tap water
1/2c sugar
1/4 salt

To that we added some store bought McCormick picking spice which is a combination bay leaf, coriander seed, mustard seed, cinnamon, all spice, ginger, clove, red and black pepper, mace and cardamom. We added two tablespoons to our base brine.

I think that with all the “fall spices” in there it was a bit sweet, and I’ll probably make my own spice mix going forward, but I wanted to start with something easy. So to spice it up a bit I added about 5 whole garlic cloves, a slice of red onion, and some garlic powder to bring the brine down a bit in sweetness.

View attachment 8942107

I brought the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes while I got the cucumbers ready for their bath.

View attachment 8942108

I split the brine into two parts so I could make one batch regular for the kids, and the second batch spicy for me and Mrs. Dill. I figured I would throw two scotch bonnet peppers in there, seeds removed and cut into rings. I tossed them into the half of the brine I left in the pot and let them steep in the hot brine for about 3 minutes on the stove, then I removed from heat. I let the brine cool to warm while stuffing the containers full of half cucumbers and some fresh dill.

View attachment 8942111

Once cool enough, I poured the brines over their respective cucumber containers. I came up a bit short on brine so I topped each off with a bit of water and a splash of vinegar. Wiped them both down and tossed them in the fridge to sit for a day or so before trying.

View attachment 8942113

I’m looking forward to trying them later in the week. I don’t have high expectations, but I did learn the process pretty well and look forward to giving it another try once I see these results. I’ll pop back in after a few days and let everyone know how they came out. The process took me about 30 minutes and was really kid friendly. My 6 and 8 year olds had a blast helping me and measuring out the ingredients. For those of us with some time on our hands, make some pickles and tell us how they turn out!

I am not fan of pickles. I will eat relish on a hot dog but that’s really it.

but I love the idea of making pickles for my wife and kids who love pickles.. will for sure have to try this.

How does that work? I understand the sous vide process, but what is the process?

Basically a similar mix as what you are using. Some sort of vinegar sugar water. Crank up the sous vide at 90 Celsius. Shock cool after 60-90 minutes. They are ready. Not sure why it works but it does. End result is the same as if you let it sit in your fridge for a week or two.

I’ll do a couple jars of pickles and then another with jalepeno and one with carrots. 50/50 water and vinegar. I usually use white vinegar with a splash of red wine vinegar or apple cider. Salt and sugar. I like dill pickles so I just add a bunch of fresh dill. That’s it.

Woah I have pickled onions but never made pickles. I'm curious now.

Back