Greens at home course are very playable. Every green has run up of fairway to a small portion of the front. Some small bunkers. Long is dead though. Not drop-offs or false backs. Every hole has a ridge behind it. Every hole, long is dead. Getting up and down from a shot that goes through the back of the green is going to be a bogey at best.

Hardly defended with bunkers at all. Front side has 9 bunkers in total, while the back has 12. There are no fairway bunkers either. The courses' only defense is high rough & narrow fairways with pine trees off the fairway. Pine trees are next to impossible to go thru ... you have to go over or around. So if you're not accurate off the tee, you're doing a lot of punch outs all day.

Most of the courses around here either have 2-3 bunkers per hole or are protected by a water hazard. Especially most of the courses i play on.

Not at all guarded, barely a sand trap on the course. The most heavily guarded greens I've ever played was at Dubsdread
Dubsdread is the definition of guarded greens.

My courses tend to have a few bunkers, but nothing too bad. One course I play has barely any though, maybe on a handful of holes. The other main one I play I believe has sandtraps around a lot of them, but they really aren't in play except for bad shots. Dubsdread however if you miss your shot by like a foot or two I feel like you're not only in a bunker, but it's also at least 6 feet high haha

Biggest challenge is being on the proper side of the fairway for the approach.

Incorrect position: trees could block you out, or approach is guarded by bunkers
Correct position: you can get away with bouncing one on the green without obstruction

Some more than others. 43 greenside bunkers is primary defense. most have a roll up shoot though.

IMG_20200503_120820.jpg

Last edited:
I’d say more than half the holes have at least 1 bunker around the green.

103FC5FF-FD65-4487-9906-BD6A96CFFB53.png

a few bunkers, some mounds/elevation changes, and some really thick rough.

Lot's of sand, elevated/small greens, some holes with water.

They're all defended in some way for the most part. We have 45 greenside sand traps total and 13 of those are those insidious little pot bastar bunkers. 8 greens are protected by water but only 3 of them require you to carry water just short of the green. There are also 9 deep grass bunkers greenside, 19 heavy rough mounds, and 22 false front/side shaved collection areas that tend to gobble up imprecise shots into the wrong parts of the greens. If you find the proper spot in the fairway it is possible to run a ball onto 8 of them but the approach has to be pretty precise as they're all designed to deflect so-so effort s toward hazards or collection pits.

Lots of bunkers. I think there's just under 100 on my home course - miss those and the super thick sticky rough does the trick. I'd rather be in the bunker...

My luck would be hit the bunker and roll through into the water.
I was looking at it thinking that a ball would skip off the water and land on the edge of one of those bunkers :ROFLMAO:

the only trap at the Muni i play most is at the practice green, and not well maintained

not heavily guarded except for a few sad sand traps.

My course has 3-4 holes with bunker in front that are petty close to the green and guard it. Many of the other holes have bunkers but they are pretty far off the green as they didn't want to redo the irrigation systems. Instead they just put them as close as they could which could be 5-10 yards off the green. 3 of the par 3's have water either in front, beside, or beside and behind. The one with water beside it is narrow with a big drop off left and then OB farther left which make it tough. A few other holes are raised and missing on the wrong side can make a really difficult up and down.

Not super guarded but they do have their fair share of sand traps and water.
#1 - no bunkers but hedges long and a big tree in the middle of the fairway about 50 yards from the green
#2 - decent sized bunker on the left
#3 - bunkers on left and right, drop off to ob long
#4 - bunker short right and left, bunker long, water right
#5 - small bunker short, bunker long right, water long left and left
#6 - hedge long
#7 bunkers short and long, OB left
#8 - hedge to the left
#9 - ob long
#10 - bunkers left and right
#11 - bunkers left and right
#12 - bunker right
#13 - nothing really
#14 - peninsula green, bunker on the left (or long if you go for it from the tee which is possible)
#15 - water short left, bunker short right/right
#16 - huge hill on the left side which you can get stuck in, mound on the right where anything to the right is OB, OB long (probably the most guarded green)
#17 - bunkers long and right
#18 - not really guarded

Actually more guarded than I thought now that I've written that out...

A few bunkers and some heavy rough in quite a few spots, no water anywhere. The slopes of the greens and the different tiers are what protects them.

Neither of our courses have greens that are very guarded; a few sand traps and water hazards notwithstanding.

Moderately so. All have mounding. Half have sand in play. There used to be bunkers around greens on the other holes but the course made them to grassy areas and blended them somewhat with the mounding. Two have water (a 5 and a 4) that shouldn't be in play with a decent tee ball to the correct side of the fairway. Four greens require carry onto the green because of abrupt elevation changes in the last 50 or 60 yards.

My local greens are now heavily bunkered with some absolutely devious bunkers now. And water is greenside on 5 holes. It has made think a bit more off the tee to have the approach I need.

Not a ton of bunkers, but all our greens are small and surrounded by drop offs, undulations, and certain death zones.

I play a Donald Ross course.
so those of you familiar with his designs:
Greens run back to front
Greens are elevated from fairways
Greens are well bunkered
Long is usually DEAD
I guess you can call it tough

Moderately guarded and I'm still lucky to hit them 35% of the time in regulation.

Our greens mostly protect themselves. They are small (~3400 sq ft) and most of them are sloped from back to front (8 are severely sloped). This also results in some steep dropoffs around some, as well, with the way some of them are perched.

There is at least 1 greenside bunker on 16 holes (4 holes have 2, 1 has 3); they are generally small but in poor condition. Water is only marginally in play on 1 green, if you fly it by 10 yards.

Back