What draws you to RAW wedges or irons?

View attachment 8942707

The best part is that regardless of the model, new release like these, or older, the amount of preconceived notions about skill level they bring looking rusted out make it a ton of fun when I cut peoples hearts out with them. :p
Being that those are the new model, how long has it taken them to rust that little bit?
Do different OEMs raw wedges rust faster or slower than others?

I like a bit of rust over chrome. I really like black though. My next set overhaul will be black from 4 iron to lob wedge.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Being that those are the new model, how long has it taken them to rust that little bit?
Do different OEMs raw wedges rust faster or slower than others?
Depends on the elements. These have 8 rounds on them now starting last Monday. 6 in heavy morning dew, one today in straight up rain.

Also, if I wanted to keep the rust clear, it wouldn’t be hard. And the Raw finish is excellent at preventing any glare issues without the patchy wearing of dark finished.

I just like the raw look over the shiny.

Customize how, are we talking stampings?
Can do a lot of things with a raw wedge, including some really fun finishes (oil quench etc) and Peter is quite good at it.

You can stamp any set of wedges

I used to have raw wedges. Actually, gamed a couple of sets of them. I loved it when they rusted up. Just loved the look.

I'm pondering the RTX4's and haven't decided whether to go black, raw, or satin.

View attachment 8942707

The best part is that regardless of the model, new release like these, or older, the amount of preconceived notions about skill level they bring looking rusted out make it a ton of fun when I cut peoples hearts out with them. :p
ohhh cannot do it... makes me want to oil them remove the spots and return the shine...

I have a 60* RTX 3 that was raw and rusted... didnt look right in the bag.

Absolutely nothing I would want to clean them all the time lol.

I like the rusted, weathered look. To me, it makes a club look like its vintage and has been used for decades to the point where the chrome as worn off and the club is starting to rust.
Honestly, if I could get all my clubs in raw, even my woods, I would do it.

Love the look (I have 3 x RTX 3s in raw). I especially like them when the soles are shiny through use but the rest of the club is rusty. As @Jman said, it’s like it’s been earned at that point.

I thought it would be fun to use the Rick Shiels method of intentionally rusting out my wedges, just to see how they would look/perform. IIRC, the concoction was a combination of Distilled White Vinegar, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Salt.

Here are a pic of before and after.
Wedges Before.jpg
Because there is such a lack of humidity in the state of Utah, these really didn't rust well, at all. I had always thought that rusty wedges looked cool.

Wedges After.jpg

This was after a couple of coats. As I added more coats, the color turned from a light-bronze to a dark copper patina.

Initially I'd thought this was really cool. But, I've noted that the rust gets all over my bag, which I'm not a fan of. Also, because the patina isn't natural, it actually comes off easily. As a result, the top line, upper face, and back of the wedges are still copper. But, the sole and sweet spot have gone back to the dull, raw finish.

I'm actually debating just cleaning off the rust in entirety, and starting from scratch.

I love raw. Its all a looks thing. I dont understand why youd want a glare wedge. All preference

I thought it would be fun to use the Rick Shiels method of intentionally rusting out my wedges, just to see how they would look/perform. IIRC, the concoction was a combination of Distilled White Vinegar, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Salt.

Here are a pic of before and after.
View attachment 8942768
Because there is such a lack of humidity in the state of Utah, these really didn't rust well, at all. I had always thought that rusty wedges looked cool.

View attachment 8942770

This was after a couple of coats. As I added more coats, the color turned from a light-bronze to a dark copper patina.

Initially I'd thought this was really cool. But, I've noted that the rust gets all over my bag, which I'm not a fan of. Also, because the patina isn't natural, it actually comes off easily. As a result, the top line, upper face, and back of the wedges are still copper. But, the sole and sweet spot have gone back to the dull, raw finish.

I'm actually debating just cleaning off the rust in entirety, and starting from scratch.
Those are big time rusty!!!! Don't think I could handle seeing that in the bag.

Nothing. I think they look awful. Each to their own though.

Nothing draws me in cuz it's gross. ;)

I would love true rusty's maybe not the whole set, but wedges, yes

I don't know, because 😁.

I love it on wedges in particular. To me the wedge is the blue collar workhorse of the bag. It's tough, it gets beat up and it saves my butt. A raw finish with rust gives it that tough, badass look in my eyes.

I went raw on the putter, mainly for something different.
After encouraging it to rust, and getting some pretty aggressive results, I dialed it back a bit and cleaned it up again.

All in all, I like it for the look. The Handsome One Raw started off brown/coppery colored to begin with, and I really became a fan of the look over the past year.

Less glare and they have an appealing looking for me

My irons and wedges are Kyoei raw blank blades that I had to grind to a finish shape, weight and bounce.
Yesterday I just refinished them with Perma blue liquid gun blue. Had them semi-rusted for the last 2 years but like this look better

Back