How Much Time Does One Player Add To a Round of Golf?

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
Let's say you have the course to yourself.

How much time do YOU THINK adding a single player to your group adds to your round? Generally courses suggest that pace of play is about 4 hours. That doesn't mean that each player should be able to complete a round in one hour.

I was thinking about this today. My friend and I teed off at the first available tee time (6:24,) the exact same day, time and course where we played last week. There was no one in front of us at any point. Today we managed to walk the very mountainous course in 3 hours 21 minutes. Last week it took us 4 hours 40 minutes. The difference? Last week we had a 3rd player.

I played a very similar round. I was actually 3 strokes worse today, and my friend is the type who will pick up his ball if he feels he's mucked up the hole bad enough. Did that 3rd player really add 1 hour 19 minutes to our round? Is that even possible?

What do you think?

All depends on how everyone else is playing and the caliber of players.

Assuming all things equal, I’d guess that 20-45 minutes wouldn’t be unreasonable between all shots taken.

I typically walk 9 in around 1:15... with 3 other guys it’s usually at least 2:00 or so.

It really depends on the player. I know one guy when he plays with you, you may need to bring a tent so you can camp out. I am fairly brisk and get through a round fairly fast.

Completely depends on the player, the environment, how social you’re being together...a lot of things really. I’m pretty sure I could add JB to my group and he’s not slowing me down at all.

It really depends on the player. I know one guy when he plays with you, you may need to bring a tent so you can camp out. I am fairly brisk and get through a round fairly fast.
This, I’d guess the player makes a big difference. My guess would be at least a half hour

Probably around 40 minutes assuming players aren't hitting shots at the same time.

Tough question to answer, since it depends on the individual's game.

Lets say it's a twosome. A par 72 golfer wont take as long, as say a player who shoots 90. How long will those extra 18 shots take?

Lets say a foursome consisting of 4 scores. 78, 81, 83, and 95. Again, how long will those extra. 12 strokes take to play?

Just off the top of my head I might go with 24 minutes. Lets say 90 seconds to get to the ball, and 30 seconds to pull a club, set up, and hit that ball. 2 minutes per shot.

I regularly play with one other guy or my dad and my brother. None of the 3 of my dad, brother and I break 90. My other main playing partner is really good and shoots 75-80. I play way faster with my dad and brother because we play much faster ready golf.

Well here's the thing. The 3rd player is not a slow player. I have played many quick rounds with him and he wasn't holding us up by any means

How much time do YOU THINK adding a single player to your group adds to your round? Generally courses suggest that pace of play is about 4 hours. That doesn't mean that each player should be able to complete a round in one hour.

I was thinking about this today. My friend and I teed off at the first available tee time (6:24,) the exact same day, time and course where we played last week. There was no one in front of us at any point. Today we managed to walk the very mountainous course in 3 hours 21 minutes. Last week it took us 4 hours 40 minutes. The difference? Last week we had a 3rd player.

I played a very similar round. I was actually 3 strokes worse today, and my friend is the type who will pick up his ball if he feels he's mucked up the hole bad enough. Did that 3rd player really add 1 hour 19 minutes to our round? Is that even possible?

What do you think?
you made an ace today and were 3 strokes worse? you shouldve had another beer! :p
no i dont think thats possible unless your friend was taking an 8 on every hole?

Sometimes the chemistry of a group drives slow play. I have a buddy I play with all the time. When it is just the two of us, he is a fast player. He's comfortable with me. When we play with others, he plays much slower. I think he gets a little anxious playing with others and slows down trying to find his focus.

What do you think?
He must have if you laid it all out there. Was he that bad/slow?

If it's another THPer probably 30 mins... A guy from work league up to an hour... One practice swing is good

I'll go with it depends on the player. Today I played in a threesome with two other friends, we finished in 3h 24m. We sometimes go out as a fivesome and still finish in under 4 hours if there's nobody holding us up, so that's adding two golfers and less than 30m difference. There are a couple guys in our circle of friends who are slower players and if they're in the group they'll push us to over 4 hours.

Depending on the skill level of player. Would say 30-40 minutes

I think the answer would be very player dependent. Not everyone is a easy good person and it drives me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back