Current fairway wood setup: What's in your bag?

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Do your fairway woods match? Are they completely different? Tell us all about them.

Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 woods adjusted -1 from standard.

I'm normally a matching fairway wood type, but I got good deals on both of these so I'm sticking with them for now.

3wd is an Epic Flash SZ w/ an Aldila Rogue MAX 85x and two 14g weights.
5wd is an M4 w/ a HZRDUS Black 6.0, 75g (for now), but I have a 6.5, 85g shaft waiting in the wings to be put in it.

Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 woods adjusted -1 from standard.

You beat me at my own game. Nice setup. What made you completely skip the 3 and 4 woods?

Never been a matching FW guy. Not sure why, tbh. No particular reason really

Cobra F9 3W

2009 Cleveland Launcher 4w with avs shaft..

Hybrid doesn't count... So short story here

Never been a matching FW guy. Not sure why, tbh. No particular reason really

I think, for me, it's because I've built my own stuff for nearly 20 years. I figured if one worked for me, the other would, too. With my current setup, I found the SZ on eBay for a steal for the head only and then picked up the other in a package deal over at WRX for like $60. Couldn't pass that up for a great condition M4.

You beat me at my own game. Nice setup. What made you completely skip the 3 and 4 woods?
The 5 wood -1 is basically a 4 wood. It is easier to hit off the fairway at 17 degrees instead of 15 degrees and a slightly shorter shaft. With the drop in prices on the Epic Flash fairway woods to $199, I am considering getting a 3 wood and turning it +1 or 2.

2009 Cleveland Launcher 4w with avs shaft..

Hybrid doesn't count... So short story here
Hey, nothing wrong with that! I like short stories. As long as the setup works and you enjoy it, that's what matters.

The 5 wood -1 is basically a 4 wood. It is easier to hit off the fairway at 17 degrees instead of 15 degrees and a slightly shorter shaft. With the drop in prices on the Epic Flash fairway woods to $199, I am considering getting a 3 wood and turning it +1 or 2.

Makes sense. The shorter shaft definitely makes sense sometimes.

Close right now for me. Just got a Epic Flash SZ 9.5 driver about a month ago. Been gaming a Epic Flash Heavanwood for a year or do. May have picked up a Tour Exotic 220 3w 17degree today on ebay so that will change it. But not married to matching. FW tend to be my oldest clubs in the bag. I don't plan on changing the HW any time soon. Love that thing. If the EXS sticks it will probably be in there for a while unless I get a smoking deal for something I have hit.

Prior to these changes in the last year I have been on an R9 driver for a long time and a rocketballz 3wd.

Taylormade M1-3HL is the only one I carry.

I just got a TaylorMade M2 3 wood that I have a couple rounds in with and I love it so far.

I’m also playing a Callaway XHot 20* hybrid as well.

Cobra F7 - 3W with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7
Cobra F8 - 5W with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X

I’ve considered replacing the F7 with an F8, but I don’t use it enough right now. Maybe one day. The F8 - 5W is probably my favourite club right now.

Current bag is only with one fairway, Cobra Speedzone 3 wood.

Old bag had Epic Flash 3 wood and a Ping G410 5 wood.

I just got a new 3W last week so mine almost match. Same OEM now separated by just one generation instead of two.

Callaway MAVRIK SZ 3+ (heavy weight forward) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70S - for yardage eating bullets; (replaced an OG Epic SZ 3+ weighted similarly)
Callaway Epic Flash 5W tuned to 17* Project X Even Flow Green 70S - for high, guaranteed carry, target stickers; (replaced a zillion different hook prone hybrids)

Last edited:
Cobra F9 3w set at 13.5 draw setting
Nike Vapor Flex 5w set at 17 draw setting

I’ve never hit a 3w better than I have with this one so I don’t see myself replacing that anytime soon. I hit the 5w well and haven’t been looking to change that up either

I have two 3wd's that I rotate and use. A Callaway 3wd pro at 14 degrees and a Tour Exotics EX9 at 15 degrees, then I am currently using a 23 degree hybrid as my next club. Sometimes if I am gonna play a long course I will add a Ping G2 3 iron at 19 degrees which is kinda like a hybrid iron or crossover type club. It is steel shafted which I think is good for control. :)

Only play one, so it doesn't apply.

OG V-Series Heavenwood. My definitive get out of trouble club. So much confidence with it, and it rarely disappoints.
I'll see my way out.

Mizuno ST190 3W Atmos Blue and ST190 5W Atmos Red

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 and 5 wood. That has always been my setup and likely always will be. As evidenced by my signature, they do not match. My extra 3 and 5 woods do but just haven't found the proper shaft pairings with the heads to beat out my current FWs.

Only fairway wood I carry is a 15ish year old Callaway Big Bertha 3W. I don’t use it too often in a typical round, but I’ll take it off the tee when needed and feel comfortable hitting it in just about any lie outside of thick rough. I’d love to swing some new technology in this department to see what’s changed!

XR15 3W in my mixed bag, TM M2 3W and R15 5W in my TM Homer Bag

When I used a 3 & 5 Wood, they would be matched both head and shaft. Now, I don’t carry a fairway wood but my 3 utility irons match.

Back