Maltby Tour Grind MG forged wedge

Popeye

Reaction score
Handicap
I wore out my Cleveland Rotex 2.0 and the rest of my bag is the black DBM forged irons so I wanted to go black again. Once you go black you never go back!
I used the same 105g Xcaliber Tour X shaft that was in the Cleveland so it was a smooth transition. What I wasn't ready for is how much better the feel is. Feel is night and day better. To be fair the MG is forged but the change is drastic.
It's a 56° with 11° of bounce. Even in wet some what muddy conditions the wedge glided through turf. Distance control was spot on right away. Around the green chipping felt so good I wanted to drop another ball and do it again after every shot.
Best of all these can be bought as a club pack for $39.
On a budget or looking for a top quality wedge, try them out.
8c035147c5a1120b8b702027b805c732.jpg
d5fc69518348d880464ec800ae4ef402.jpg
aaac5d3d2ca81766b745684707da3165.jpg
f07761d38a73c62227662c5e7cfbe10b.jpg

As a final note the DBM finish on these and what is now popping up on some OEM clubs wears better than any other finish I have ever seen. If you shy away from black because the PVD finish of old goes away after a month, this is a whole different story. As proof here is a pw, most used club in my bag after 1.5 Seasons ,
d03ab3e498a510465df054d108a1e816.jpg

c2ddd39b51ce47532c384e29a3d5318f.jpg

Very nice looking club and a great price point!

Price wise it's impossible to beat. Never mind the quality

Nice looking. I have looked at the wedge heads every time the new Golfworks catalog comes. Might have to give one a try.

I want to hear more about the shafts.

Those are AXE XCaliber Tour X shafts. I never played them but had a buddy who built a set of clubs with these shafts a while ago. He really liked them considering the price point.

I want to hear more about the shafts.
The shafts can be found at http://xcalibershafts.com/
These shafts are really unique. They play just like steel yet dampen like graphite. They have a steel woven mesh over the graphite. It's basically a hybrid shaft. They are very stable and have great feel. I build these into a set of clubs almost exclusively. Every one loves them.

They have three weights. 85 95 and 105. In my Gamers I have them set up as an ascending weight style. In the wedges u play the 105. Mid irons are 95 and the long irons and hybrids are 85. So weights of shafts are fairly constant. If I build in just one weight I do the 85s. In extensive testing the 85 gram shafts are the longest if you are squeezing out distance. They also had the best dispersion.

I think over the counter cost is 29 a shaft I believe. You can pay more for graphite shafts but I doubt you would ever notice any added benefits beside being a little more broke.

If you think you have to play a metal iron shaft but need shoulder and wrist saving graphite, try them.

I'm ordering the Maltby M series 52°, 56°, and 60° and playing them off Rifle 5.0 shafts from my old wedges. It will be very useful and cost efficient until a future upgrade.

I'm ordering the Maltby M series 52°, 56°, and 60° and playing them off Rifle 5.0 shafts from my old wedges. It will be very useful and cost efficient until a future upgrade.
Which ones did you order? The three options give you a ton of choices.

The Tour 52 and mid 56 and 60. Was thinking wide sole 60 but the mid should do.

The wide sole on the 60 is really easy to hit

Thanks for the review..... I am glad to see some component love on THP. As a hobbyist club builder I enjoy tinkering with quality components.

Played some Maltby products over the years, never disappointed.

Is anyone using the M-series+? The Tour Grind MG is a bit more than I would want to bite off.

Dave

Is anyone using the M-series+? The Tour Grind MG is a bit more than I would want to bite off.

Dave
I have switched over to the M+. They are night and day more forgiving than the MG Tour. They have 3 options for sole width. A wedge for almost everything. As a digger i was caught far to many times hitting the MG Tour fat. The M+ have far more effective bounce. The wide soles glide through or over the turf.
Right now I'm playing the 52 M+ Tour or .900 width sole. The 56 is the mid width sole. The 52 is a little wider than my GW and then the 56 is progressively bigger. Just enough help to give me confidence in any conditions. I have no fear of hitting these fat anymore.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I have switched over to the M+. They are night and day more forgiving than the MG Tour. They have 3 options for sole width. A wedge for almost everything. As a digger i was caught far to many times hitting the MG Tour fat. The M+ have far more effective bounce. The wide soles glide through or over the turf.
Right now I'm playing the 52 M+ Tour or .900 width sole. The 56 is the mid width sole. The 52 is a little wider than my GW and then the 56 is progressively bigger. Just enough help to give me confidence in any conditions. I have no fear of hitting these fat anymore.

Interesting. I didn't think you'd get along with the medium width, I thought you'd be a tour width guy.

I'm nowhere near confident enough in my game to play the MG Tour in northern Illinois conditions. It is soft here a lot. I much prefer a square face wedge game and am concerned I'd have a risk of laying sod over the Tours.

I'm really enjoying the TE forged and am going to take the FDI out on Monday. Life's getting tough and I don't want to spend much extra money. The M+ with the Score only runs a little more than $40 after tax though, but I may stay with what I have as a matter of principle.

Dave

Interesting. I didn't think you'd get along with the medium width, I thought you'd be a tour width guy.

I'm nowhere near confident enough in my game to play the MG Tour in northern Illinois conditions. It is soft here a lot. I much prefer a square face wedge game and am concerned I'd have a risk of laying sod over the Tours.

I'm really enjoying the TE forged and am going to take the FDI out on Monday. Life's getting tough and I don't want to spend much extra money. The M+ with the Score only runs a little more than $40 after tax though, but I may stay with what I have as a matter of principle.

Dave
My ego will tell you that I'm too good to play an M+ mid sole. My miss is a 1/2- 3/4 wedge swing that I release too early on and bury the club head.
At times that miss could show up when I was playing full shots with the MMBs. I recently had a round where this was all too common. When I got home I unceremoniously pulled those heads three weeks ago and sold them. I'm now bagging the PTM set. No more fat shots anywhere PTM have a wider sole yet still have a players look at address.
That sharp leading edge for me can only be played in country club style turf.
So with that little extra sole width makes a huge difference in my full shot game, it also keeps those half shots from getting hit fat.
So that was also the reason I upgraded my wedges. Gapping to match the PTM. The 52 M+ Tour is just wider than the GW. The 56 M+ midsole gives me that safety zone for fat shots. I never have a use for a lob wedge..... see 'Fat Shot'.

Back