Upright or flat is a bad reference as standard varies among manufacturers. I have to admit I don't recall the lie of my 6i that everything is off of but I was fitted for them.

I was fit 1degree flat years ago. I have changed my stance and swing quite a bit through lessons and will be curious to see when I get fit for irons next.

2 flat

"factory default setting" so far...haven't gone in for an iron fitting yet.

Depends on the brand. I was fit though and have the exact specs, so for some companies that might only be .5% upright, others might be a full degree, others still might even be a degree and a half.

Since there is no standard lie across companies, there is no standard response for it :p

i play standard
the only thing i have to go off of is a ping chart stating -
height 6'2 wrist to floor 37"
middle finger 3.5" overall hand length 8"
which both compute to white 3* upright
i need to do a fitting to understand more...

I'll tell ya what; getting my lie angle fitted to my swing was the single best thing I ever did for my game. Eliminated the left side of the golf course, and my handicap dropped multiple strokes.

Ping G20s 2 degrees upright

Depends on the brand. I was fit though and have the exact specs, so for some companies that might only be .5% upright, others might be a full degree, others still might even be a degree and a half.

Since there is no standard lie across companies, there is no standard response for it :p

I have adjusted my answer to fall in line with this information...:LOL:

Usually 2 Flat for me

I tend to play my irons flat, but I'm supposed to be playing them upright according to the mizuno DNA and GC Quad fittings I've done. I go flat to help cheat my left tendencies.

I'll tell ya what; getting my lie angle fitted to my swing was the single best thing I ever did for my game. Eliminated the left side of the golf course, and my handicap dropped multiple strokes.
I found out I was playing too flat, and right is a big miss for me. really interested to see if this helps that out and what results I will be seeing. Maybe my "I can't hit a draw to save my life" wasn't all me haha

Used to be 2* up, but last fitting were standard Mizuno specs. Almost a 3* difference.

I'm currently playing 3* up on my Pings. Since this fit was made when my swing was ust coming out of dormancy, I plan to check it with teh sharpie test soon. Maybe it's changed in the past 11 months.

I’m 1° upright...

2* upright

Along long (many moons and countries ago) I was actually lie fitted and they suggested 1 deg upright.

My current sticks are all stock but I'm sure I need to recheck these and adjust. I did manage to find two new Adams IDEA CMB Lie Angle 6 irons, one adjusts to flat/1 deg down, the other head adjusts to 1 deg/2 deg up so I should be able to determine something from those

interesting topic as lately i have been discussing this a lot with fellow golfers locally.

Ive almost always played standard. however, the older i get the more the toe of the club seems to be digging in to the ground a ton.

So, the pro says: well we need to adjust your lie angle. Youre probably way too flat. That change is coming soon....HOWEVER.....my argument is that if i am indeed way too flat, I should be losing distance. When everything is working and im playing well im still hitting it on the toe and the toe is digging a bit.

I know that moving more upright will "fix" this. HOWEVER.....my miss is a hook. Not a pull hook, but just a massive over sweeping hook. So, If i go more upright that so called miss will startout (by default) more lfet and thus become a pull hook....no??

just looking for some discussion on it.

EDIT: i should also add i hit the ball entirely too low for my liking.

I tend to play my irons flat, but I'm supposed to be playing them upright according to the mizuno DNA and GC Quad fittings I've done. I go flat to help cheat my left tendencies.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

1 flat.

1 up

2 degrees flat

Depending on the iron itself, usually play either 1 deg flat or std through PW. On my other wedges I tend to go 1 degree flatter than the rest. Right now I am std across until my wedges where I am 1 deg flat.

2* upright for me.

Back