Utility Iron vs Hybrid

KCSmitty

Reaction score
Handicap
All of it.
Looking for thoughts, feedback, pro's vs cons.

I currently need to fill a 3-4i spot (21-23°). Torn between the versatility of a hybrid or playability of a utility iron.

I'm currently hovering around a 12hdcp. Playing the Callaway Mavrik Pro irons and hit the 5i well but it's a relatively "one trick pony". Playing in Kansas, I'm constantly battling the wind. Currently have a 2hybrid, I hit really well. Yardage is about 235ish and can shape it some.

Thanks all for the feedback.

The first question I would ask is how do you think you will use this club the most?

If you find you are unsure, look at the Taylor made gapr mid. Great cross between both

The first question I would ask is how do you think you will use this club the most?
I find myself needing it for "creative" shots. Example- yesterday I had a 190yrd, par 3, dead into the wind. I have a high trajectory so my 5i was out of the question. Next club I carry is a 2hybrid. Chocked down, hit a good shot but it was long.

I lean toward hybrid just because I don't hit utility irons well. With that said, maybe consider a Mavrik 5H. I had the 5H and then 6i-AW, and had to add the 5i to my set because there was almost a 20-yard gap between my 6i and 5H - the 5H plays about 10 yards longer than a 5i for me, right around 4i length (if I could hit a 4i).

I was battling this same question. I have two hybrids that I’m just not in love with.

I ended up finding a cheap Adams DHY (I’d consider it a pre-GAPR) that I’m going to build up and try. Hoping it’s a nice mix of both at 24*.

I lean toward hybrid just because I don't hit utility irons well. With that said, maybe consider a Mavrik 5H. I had the 5H and then 6i-AW, and had to add the 5i to my set because there was almost a 20-yard gap between my 6i and 5H - the 5H plays about 10 yards longer than a 5i for me, right around 4i length (if I could hit a 4i).
Distance gaping will be off a bit in a perfect world and conditions. But it's just more options.

I used to be a hybo guy in the 22 spot, but I get more use out of the 4U than I did that, but it’s all about how you plan on using it.

I went with the hybrid. Very happy!

I find myself needing it for "creative" shots. Example- yesterday I had a 190yrd, par 3, dead into the wind. I have a high trajectory so my 5i was out of the question. Next club I carry is a 2hybrid. Chocked down, hit a good shot but it was long.
If you have no problem elevating the ball I say go utility.

It all depends on your comfort level with a 4i. I tried a UHX 4i (basically a utility 4i), and although it's great off the tee and good fairway lies, I cannot hit that club on either an iffy lie or out of the rough. I switched back to a 4h mainly because I know I can use it at any time on the course.

Ditched the hybrids at the beginning of the season for a gapr lo 2 and 3. I feel like I can do a lot more with a utility iron over a hybrid.

Currently have a 2hybrid, I hit really well. Yardage is about 235ish and can shape it some.

I feel like that's your answer. It sounds like a club you'd do well with in the next spot.

Since I started playing always had a hybrid, but starting to wonder about a utility/driving iron. Playing in Texas winds could be kinda nice to have a low flying rocket launcher.

But I hit my 3H really well so maybe I shouldn't mess with it

Back