Hit into from behind! How do you respond?

Younger days, tee it up and hit it back at them. Now, raise arms and yell What the hell?

First time no big deal. Second time they get a WTF wave. Third time, I’ll tee up and hit back. Recently, I was playing a round with my brothers and about the fourth time these guys hit up on us, we were standing on the green of a very drivable par 4. All 4 guys went for the green in 1, 2 guys made, 2 guys were pin high and missed left. Well my hot headed younger brother ensured that all 4 of them would be taking a drop unless they planned on playing out of the swamp next to the green.

Never had anyone hit it a 2nd time. I think common courtesy on 1st could be accidental smoosh... 2nd ok boys let's wait until we get to a safe distance...3rd is tough ... I'd never hit it back. Maybe hit into woods? Wait on next tee?

I've been hit into way too many times to count. Only hit it back at them once.

Crowded course. 2 or 3 groups on the same hole all day; so they know we are not the problem.

They hit into us on 9 with their tee shots; we look back at them but do nothing. Ball lands 5 yards in front of me as I'm over my 3rd shot into the par 5. I turn around and wedge it back at them. (best shot I hit all day).

They get pissy on 10 tee. My 2 playing partners bail on me. Heated argument ensues, but they waited until we were on the greens before teeing off the rest of the round.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have only had this happen a couple of times, and the first one was not a pleasant experience which I don’t care to relive. It was a whole mess when there was a confrontation (my group was the one who hit into them, accidentally) and the two fellas made a big deal of it, looking for a fight. Well they found one. It wasn’t anyone’s finest moment. My buddy did not do it on purpose. The twosome was on the side looking for a ball and my buddy hit into the fairway. Hardly into them, but you would have thought it was a mortal sin. Crazy.

But now when it happens, me and that same buddy have a different approach. We just ask them if they want to make it a money game. If they say no, then we ask them to quit hitting into us if no money is on the line. No one has said yes yet.

1st one look back with the WTF arms up

2nd one. Hit it back in their direction about 100 yards And gage some words with them.

3rd time well it hasn’t happened yet.

I wave hello on the first one.
I give the 2 arms up WTF on the second one.
I pick up the ball on the 3rd one and they can come ask for it back.

The 2 times I have picked up the ball, no one ever came and asked about them.
That's pretty classy, I like that.

We have a custom to tee it up and leave it there. Usually the the group behind gets the point and there is no 2nd. There is golfers who take the ball with them, but I feel that to be too provocative.

Have you ever hit a ball back to the group behind for hitting into you? Stepped on it? Kicked it into tall grass? What do you do if/when you're hit into.

I'd never do any of those things on the first shot, but I'm a firm believer that once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, and three times is a trend. I've been very close to hitting a ball back once or twice.

We usually take the ball and put it up on a tee.

You can do the "Sideways" thing (the movie) and hit it back to them if you want to rumble ... but I don't suggest it.

Normally it's just the WTF arm wave... and it's rarely happened.

One time my buddy and I were playing a long time ago and the same guy hit into us for a second time... my buddy grabbed a wedge and sent the ball into the woods.

First time, I like to give the obnoxious “special” wave, you know the one, Forrest Gump had a good one. Second time, I will tee it up and leave it there. If the second was especially egregious I will write “FORE!!” on their ball before teeing it up.

I'm notorious for hitting into the group in front of me. I don't do it on purpose. But it happens... a lot.

If it got to 3 times I would definitely hit it back. Once is an accident especially if they apologize. Kinda like the idea of taking the ball on #2.:ROFLMAO:

First time, If nobody is injured I stay until the group shows up only to make a point that we were here. If it happens again I am throwing down. I've lost a friend who was hit by a golf ball, suffered a stroke a month later due to the blow. Lived unable to walk and with slurred speak and died way too young. If I am going to slow for you just ask and move ahead but I am not a sitting duck.

We usually take the ball and put it up on a tee.

You can do the "Sideways" thing (the movie) and hit it back to them if you want to rumble ... but I don't suggest it.

I like that idea. Tee it up... show them you did not appreciate that.

1st time could be an accident, the 2nd time I'm calling the club house to get a ranger out there.

A certain person, about whom a 10 part documentary just aired on ESPN, has a home in the Park City area and is pretty famous for driving into the group ahead and simply playing through, without even asking. Would anybody have a different response for that person?

Once .. Ok it's accidental. Twice .... we need to have a serious chat. Third time .... pick the ball up, throw it in the water, woods, etc. I might chip it into the woods deeper. Either way they aren't getting it back. Even if they ask for it. Even if they thought it was in the middle of the fairway. :rolleyes:
I've done it a few times ... if you haven't then you're not hitting the ball far enough. :p But I'm always apologetic & rarely do it more than once a round to the same group.

lately, it seems I've been getting "hit into" from an opposing fairway tee box :rolleyes:...it's happened twice in the last 2 weeks

First time, I like to give the obnoxious “special” wave, you know the one, Forrest Gump had a good one. Second time, I will tee it up and leave it there. If the second was especially egregious I will write “FORE!!” on their ball before teeing it up.

I like this. Will have to remember.

I’ve been playing golf for 35 yrs, and I can’t remember a time I have been hit into from behind. I’ve seen balls roll up in the green on a par 5, but it was their 2nd shot. How do you get mad at a guy for hitting a green in 2 when he clearly didn’t think he could. If the ball is in the way, I mark it then replace it when I’m off the green.

The thing that bothers me most of all is drives coming at you from opposing fairways. If you know you have a bad slice, and someone is in the fairway to your right in the landing area, please wait for them to clear, or go get some lessons before you play again.

If you suck so bad that you can’t keep from possibly killing people please wait, or don’t play when it’s crowded. You aren’t doing yourself or anyone else any favors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A certain person, about whom a 10 part documentary just aired on ESPN, has a home in the Park City area and is pretty famous for driving into the group ahead and simply playing through, without even asking. Would anybody have a different response for that person?
Hmm... personally I don't know. I probably wouldn't be allowed on the same course as him

Hmm... personally I don't know. I probably wouldn't be allowed on the same course as him
As a Cavaliers fan, I would have to attack him with vengeful fury.

First time around, no worries. Mistakes happen.

If you yell FORE, no problem, you are at least letting us know it is coming.

If it happens again, we will have a talk. Just wait another minute or two before you hit next time.

No point getting in a fight, screaming, all that stuff. You are adults. If you hit into someone, apologize and be more careful. If you are hit into, talk to them, let them know (for real maybe they had no idea), and go about your round. If it is a bigger issue. Call the clubhouse or get a marshall.

It depends on the situation on how I react. If I'm walking off the green and I hear the fore call because they couldn't wait the extra ten seconds to hit into a green (and still missed in my direction), I do not react well. I may have said something I regret in the past. If it is a drive that went a MILE and is just tumbling at me in the fairway at a low speed and it only happens once, I let it go entirely. If it becomes a thing, I get angry.

Back