Votes: 17 22.1%
  • Lower

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Mixed

Votes: 44 57.1%

• Total voters

-CRW-

Reaction score
I was watching an episode of Skill Code RX with Cameron McCormick regarding short game/yips and noticed that regardless of the type of shot he was hitting, when around the green he was gripping at the end of the club. The last two coaches I’ve had both suggested gripping about halfway down the grip for all shots around the green. This episode made me realize that I’ve never really paid much attention to what most tour players do or what the big name coaches teach.

So, where do you grip the club for shots around the green: end of club, middle of grip, bottom of grip, or mixed depending on what type of shot you are trying to make. And why do you do what you do (taught that way, etc.).

Definitely mixed depending on what type of shot I’m playing and with which club. Especially true with pitch shots or little bump and runs.

I tend to change my grip but focused on gripping the middle of the club and had great success Sunday

I selected bottom, hit for me it’s middle to bottom on any “touch” shot around the green. I can’t say I learned it anywhere other than more of what I’ve been comfortable with

Middle of the grip for me on most pitches. Bottom of grip for chips except for flop shots which I grip at the end for whatever reason.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a tendency to hit the ball a little too far past pins even using a 60* when gripping about midway down the grip. I tried gripping at the end of the grip/full length of the club for all shots around the green for my 9 hole round today and the shots actually flew higher and landed softer, with most ending up short. It may be my new preferred method, but will require some most practice before knowing for sure.

Mixed for me. I was taught to vary it based on shot/stance/lie/etc to whatever degree I was comfortable with and could reliably execute. Which for me, ends at about the middle of the grip unless there's a crazy stance needed or something. I live mostly from about a 1/4 to an inch down, but I have my wedges flatter than my irons. If I don't, I choke down further more often.

Definitely mixed according to what kind of shot I'm trying to hit.

My first thought was middle of the grip, but as I think more I do change my grip depending of both the lie and what I am trying to do with the wedge.

Middle, less club to deal with...

Middle of the grip

Definitely mixed. Top of the club for 'full shots' with any club, but around the green I can be anywhere from the top almost down to the steel depending on what shot it is that I'm hitting. Definitely bump and runs are down the grip considerably.

Mixed grip for me. I was taught that way. It allows for more "usable" shots in my bag.

It just depends on what type of shot I need to pull off. How important accuracy, and/or distance control might be.

Out of green side bunker, I'm most likely gripping the end of the club, using my full swing. I want to get out of that bunker. Tough to finesse that shot most of the time.

On a short chip. I'm most likely gripping down for accuracy, an distance control. I'm trying to land the ball on a particular spot on the green, with an appropriate amount of roll out. Same with longer pitch shots.

Using multiple grips is also a comfort issue of sorts, as in having confidence for the shot at hand.

I'm out on the end of the grip. The only reason I do that is because choking down is too hard on my back during practice.

I was always taught the farther down you get on the grip, the more you can control the clubhead.

By "short game" I am limiting my distance to, say, 20 yards from the edge of the green and in. I grip down at the bottom of the grip, as my teacher showed me. For various types of shots, the swing is what I adjust.

I had a eureka moment during my practice earlier this year and now I vary my grip based on the shot I’m looking to hit.

Towards the end on full shots, a little more choked up towards the middle for knockdown/ longer pitch shots, and move more toward middle low for shorter pitches and chips.

Thanks for the reminder. I think this might solve some thin shots around the greens.

How about in the greenside bunkers?

Mixed. I am very much a feel player around the green. Really don't even think about where I am gripping it. Just do what feels right for the shot at hand.

I posted middle. But, thinking about it, mixed is a better answer for me. Mostly middle. But, will do end of grip for certain pitches.

I voted mixed. I'd say middle for most shots, but there are the little delicate shots that I may grip down a bit more and the occasional long, high flop that I need to grip it normally.

Mixed, it is funny just yesterday as I was practicing some short game stuff. I tried shots gripped all the way down to the steel, and all the way to the end to see what affect it had on the ball.

Depends on the distance needed and type of shot I am trying to play.

Mixed for greenside shots and also full shots. When I’m hitting a greenside sand shot it’s especially important for me to pay attention where I’m gripping it so I get the proper depth for distance control. I’ll also often take full LW shots and control distance primarily be choking down and opening the face. It requires less practice for me than controlling distance with my backswing length stopping at 9, 10, 11 O’clock.

I don't over think it, but i do have a trend of gripping too low and thinning some chips. If i catch 1 or 2 thin while practicing I generally check my grip location a bit, make sure i'm leaving myself enough stick.

Back