Your Most memorable Golf Trip?

Trmpt98

2024 Vokey / 2023 GOAT Cup / 2019 Bridgestone
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Story time folks, let's hear them!

I'm sitting here drinking my coffee this morning and reminiscing about my golf trip to Bridgestone exactly a year ago. Previously my golf trips consisted of traveling 1-2 hours away and playing golf for a weekend at some municipal courses where they lived. I remember it as such a whirlwind of excitement that I hardly slept the night before. I love to fly but don't do it often, the last time I flew was taking the family out to Arizona for a family reunion 2 years ago and before that was probably another 5 years ago. I can't even pick a favorite part of the trip, I got to experience something very few people get to see (Outside of THP experiences that is....). JB rolled out the red carpet (not to forget the hidden hero behind the scenes of GolferGal) and got to meet the awesome people of Bridgestone. Get a tour of the ball factory, have lunch and dinner with the CEO, get to listen to the guys in R&D and learn about some of the tests they are doing, get fitted for clubs by Zach and get shown how to golf by Adam (@rehbirdie). The weirdest think for me was getting fitted on the Bridgestone golf mecca range. It's a completely surreal experience to hit a ball, turn around and have someone toss you a ball to hit another shot, like I've seen caddies do on TV a million times with their pro. Then Heather making sure my club face was properly cleaned, making sure I had water, a glove, a hat, etc. Being so busy and caught up in the moment that I wish I would have gotten more photos and video (luckily JB and Adam were on point so I have some). If you can't tell I'm still in awe of the experience a year later. Thanks again to THP for giving us golfers, who would never be able to do it on their own, a wonderful, memorable trip to remember for ever!

Edit: What sucked was flying back to Chicago after beautiful weather in my shorts and going back to work that afternoon in 40 deg weather only to get sent outside for a survey..... Brrrrr. I was on such a high though it could have been snowing and I wouldn't have cared.... ok, maybe a little.....

So what's your trip that you remember all the time? Was it a THP experience? A trip to Vegas to play an exclusive course? Playing TPC Sawgrass 17th? Let's hear your stories!

Easily the best trip for me was to Ireland about 12 years ago. We stayed in Killarney for 8 days and played golf for 7 of them. Old Head is my favorite course of all time and we also played Killarney, Doonsbeg, Waterville, Tralee and Ballybunion (I may be misspelling some of them...).

We toured Columbus as a makeshift golf weekend. I know not a trip but we enjoyed 5 new courses over Friday - Sunday weekend. It was a fun time. Only one to speak of and Saturday was a maquee day hitting EaglesSticks and Virtues. Both great golf courses. Awesome!

Iv been on a few, but any THP Experience is memorable! If you havnt experienced one I would suggest getting on it.

We toured Columbus as a makeshift golf weekend. I know not a trip but we enjoyed 5 new courses over Friday - Sunday weekend. It was a fun time. Only one to speak of and Saturday was a maquee day hitting EaglesSticks and Virtues. Both great golf courses. Awesome!

Doesn't have to be a THP trip, I just know those who've been selected will probably call that their most memorable. I also have a buddy who goes to Vegas every year for a golf trip, that would be quite memorable to me as I've never been.

Not even close for me on this. My THP event last year with Odyssey. I had such a great time meeting everyone, the Odyssey crew, THP, JB, and all. Nothing like it and why I understand the reasons people covet these events so much.

I still talk regularly to the guys that went.

Doesn't have to be a THP trip, I just know those who've been selected will probably call that their most memorable. I also have a buddy who goes to Vegas every year for a golf trip, that would be quite memorable to me as I've never been.
Oh this was a personal golf trip. just a few buddies that are spread out across Ohio.

St. Andrews Old, New and Jubilee and Carnoustie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Non THP, has to be a Vegas outing a big group of fantasy football guys setup. We have over 40 I believe for a shotgun start. Can’t remember which hole, but it was on the front nine I believe where I was driving the cart down too steep a hill. I tried to turn and flipped over the cart on my side. I dove out, but my brother in the cart with me didn’t. The cart somehow landed on his leg and what looked like broke his leg ended up being an incredibly bad sprain that needed a boot after swelling up so bad. We had to call 911 and an ambulance drove on the golf course to get him. Never thought I would see an ambulance going down a fairway. 😂

Funny story now, scary then. Surely, my most memorable.

Easy question.

The grandaddy 2019. Callaway fitting at HQ, the hideaway, all new custom equipment. It’ll never be topped

I have a few, and they all involve going down to Devon for four days of golf at the Astbury Manor with 24 other members of our golf society. It involved 72 holes with daily winners and an overall winner playing stableford.
There was the year I played in my final event before I moved to the States. I don’t mind admitting I got pretty darn emotional on the final night.
Then there was the year I won the event, which considering I was giving just about everyone 8 to 10 strokes a day was one of my best golfing performances.
Then there was the year I instituted flaming sambuca night. No idea why, just seemed like a good idea at the time. I redecorates my room that I shared with 2 others (I won’t go into details). One of my buddies collapsed in one of the toilets and was still there when one of the other guys came down for breakfast the next morning and went to the loo. About 75% of the guys came down to breakfast the next morning with raging hangovers and blamed me, quite colorfully. Sambuca night then became a tradition down there amazingly, including having to take a shot on the first the morning after. Great times!!! One of the things I miss most about moving overseas.
F67C3D99-4E6C-4663-B11E-F63DAF71D41B.jpeg

Attachments

• E5FE9388-C9C2-42CC-885E-812DDDB8AC22.jpeg
    E5FE9388-C9C2-42CC-885E-812DDDB8AC22.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 4
I don't take golf specific 'trips', so the one that comes to mind was a tournament when I was a kid. I lived in a nice town, but the course I played every day wasn't anything great. There was a tournament at Cantigny Golf Club I was entered in, and I had heard it was really nice. Nicer than what I had probably ever played at that point (I don't remember my exact age). Really excited, couldn't sleep, up at 4, ready and waiting on mom to go, etc. like a kid on any first trip, even though it wasn't. I remember her noticing how I wasn't napping on the way there like I normally did. We had a nice chat actually, instead of it just the usual stress of getting me to a tournament and her off to work in time still. When I got there it seemed huge. Definitely felt a little out of place and everything was poignant and blurred all at once until I got on the course. More nervous than usual, but I started well. I remember how fluffy the fairways seemed. A lot of water. Had to focus. Think I played the first 9 just over par.

There was a quick storm that went through on the second 9, and while my group hid out under a tree during the delay I had a chance to observe a little and reflect. They were cranky about it. Really worried about their clubs and bags. Mine weren't really worry worthy, and I played in the rain all the time. I sure wasn't going to walk home from the course without getting a round in because of weather. So I sensed opportunity. Was it bugging everyone else this much? The one who was playing really well seemed especially rattled. He was a low ball hitter, too, and it was getting soggy. We got cleared to go and I ended up with the best back 9 score in the tournament. Still didn't win, but realized a lot of things about my game, others, and competition. Mom was off work and waiting when I got done. It had just started raining again and she had a little travel umbrella she was huddled under standing near some other parents. She gave me the usual 'Hey kiddo. We staying?" Gave her a nod, and went to turn in cards. Took near a couple hours to get home bouncing around to pick up one sister late from dance, the other from gymnastics, and mom was in surprisingly good spirits for having two really annoyed girls in the back and no dinner ready for when we got home. Long day, I was beat, and crashed as soon as we got through the door.

So it was one day, but felt like a trip. I got to see and do a lot of new thing, and it was memorable.

Last edited:
Was in Mexico for a cousins wedding & we played a course down there, can't remember where. Anyway had rented clubs, bought about 6 balls @ $2 each & was just enjoying a round with my uncle & his brother when we get a hole that Y' with a pond in the middle. Their balls go to the left, like they should & I of course go to the right (slice) right by the edge of the water. As we are approaching the pond my uncle's brother says "look they have a fake gator head in the pond". As we get closer the head disappears & I'm like fake my a$$ it's real! So needless to say I left the $2 ball at the edge of the pond, took a drop & played on while we kept looking back. When we got to the club house we asked them about the gator in the pond & they said oh yeah the gator had been know to eat small dogs of guests that had been warned not to take their dog on the course.

I went on a family trip to Ireland last May with my wife, parents, and sister & BIL. We did not schedule any golf even though my parents and I are big golfers 😒 but we finished up our tour early one day near Killarney, so we had the driver drop me, my dad, and my BIL off at a nine hole course that was actually inside a horse track. A pint followed by golf followed by another pint or three and then we walked a few kilometers back into town to our hotel.

The actual golfing wasn’t very good and the course wasn’t spectacular, but it was a really cool experience.
1589997156913.jpeg
2698FDEF-C0E8-4351-BE0A-41103ED06BC3.jpeg

I have 2 most memorable trips.
The first was my wife taking me to Pebble Beach for my 50th birthday in 2007. I remember every second of that trip. Especially the 6 foot par putt on 18 that I drained.

The second one happened in 2011. I won the THP Kingdom Experience trip along with Puttin4bird(Jake) and Dr. Teeth(Steve). That is another trip that I remember every second and will never forget.

Definitely Turkey last year. We have been going to Spain for many many years but decided to switch it up last year. Immaculate courses, bottomless beer glasses and amazing company. We’re supposed to be back this October but looking less likely as things go on...
98CA2964-ED2A-45F8-A069-18B60DBD393C.jpeg

The Breaking 100 gatherings.

From my Father-in-law. "If you suck in the sand, don't hit it there"

The Odyssey Experience and Graphite Challenge from last year. I can't choose one over the other. The golf and swag were awesome but the people were the deal. JB, the guys enjoying the experiences with me, the crew from Odyssey, Danny Le and Tyler Brewton made the weekends.

25 years ago to Pinehurst! Played 5 courses over 3 days, shot 85 on #2! Was amazing the hospitality, and the golf and maniac hill....

I got a few. Lol. It would take too long to explain but a trip from NJ to Illinois my dad and I stopped in Ohio. Played Sharon country club (oldest men only club in the USA), Firestone, and Wooster country club. Amazing.

Another was going out to play in the member guest at ledgerock golf club in PA. Best course I’ve ever seen. Fastest greens, longest holes, hardest holes and highest shot values. I’d say near impossible to go under par from tips unless your Rory long. Done that twice.

Third was trip to masters. Took 4 days driving down to play golf along the way. Played a fuzzy zoeller course, Georgia bulldogs course, one in southern Illinois, one on the RTJ golf trail, and at least one more but can’t recall. The actual masters sucked because that was the Wednesday it got rained out a few years ago. So I stepped on the course for 1 hour and never saw much. They do not pick you again if you got screwed in your life’s biggest lottery pick. Rain sucks.

I got a few. Lol. It would take too long to explain but a trip from NJ to Illinois my dad and I stopped in Ohio. Played Sharon country club (oldest men only club in the USA), Firestone, and Wooster country club. Amazing.

Another was going out to play in the member guest at ledgerock golf club in PA. Best course I’ve ever seen. Fastest greens, longest holes, hardest holes and highest shot values. I’d say near impossible to go under par from tips unless your Rory long. Done that twice.

Third was trip to masters. Took 4 days driving down to play golf along the way. Played a fuzzy zoeller course, Georgia bulldogs course, one in southern Illinois, one on the RTJ golf trail, and at least one more but can’t recall. The actual masters sucked because that was the Wednesday it got rained out a few years ago. So I stepped on the course for 1 hour and never saw much. They do not pick you again if you got screwed in your life’s biggest lottery pick. Rain sucks.

Bandon for sure. Got a few things in the mix right now that may change this in a year or two but right now it’s Bandon.

Ex-wife surprised me with an entry in a Sr. PGA pro-am in Puerto Rico, but thinking it was just the 2 of us going to play, I packed only every other club for each of us. When I found out I was in the event, I freaked and said I needed all my clubs, so had the ex mom in law (consistent thread here) overnight them. Had a wonderful time as the clubs arrived and I played with 2 cool seniors, but the trip almost ended in divorce as the ex was pissed I was more worried about having my clubs than appreciative of the birthday present. (I could have done better, I guess).

Grandaddy 2018 ... the why is in some thread around here. ;):cool:

Back