Trying to Break 100

Thanks. WHen I got back last year I thought it was going to be impossible. I kind of froze at 102 through the winter. With this break and little drills I felt better. Just need to keep up the practice.
The year before I broke 100 I was about the same...I kept flirting with it...101, 102, etc....then my first round the following spring, I think it was, I hit like a 98 or 99 I believe.

I had fun, but the golf was not good tonight. I shot a 49 and this was a recovery effort after starting quad, par, triple. The quad was from another round of the tops and a 3-putt and the triple from a drive OB. I had 1 par, 1 double, and the rest bogeys the rest of the round.

I had 3 GIRs and 5 disastrous misses from the turf. The practice work on my backyard mat is generally not translating to the course.

Dave

I'd book a session with him, take both sets of irons, and have him tweak the "better" one to your swing. The RBs might be a lie angle adjustment away from being deadly for you.

Well I’m going on the upcoming holiday. Monday the 25th. He said bring both sets of irons and let’s see what we are working with. So here goes nothing I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I’m going on the upcoming holiday. Monday the 25th. He said bring both sets of irons and let’s see what we are working with. So here goes nothing I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think positive! You might be a small tweak away from killing either set! I kid you not, having my irons bent 2 degrees more upright changed them completely.

Playing a difficult course with small greens and several narrow, sloping fairways today.
I'll be arriving earlier than normal to get dialed in.
Not expecting to break 100 on this one, but I'll try to play it smart and give myself a chance.

Playing a difficult course with small greens and several narrow, sloping fairways today.
I'll be arriving earlier than normal to get dialed in.
Not expecting to break 100 on this one, but I'll try to play it smart and give myself a chance.
Just have fun and enjoy it.

I had fun, but the golf was not good tonight. I shot a 49 and this was a recovery effort after starting quad, par, triple. The quad was from another round of the tops and a 3-putt and the triple from a drive OB. I had 1 par, 1 double, and the rest bogeys the rest of the round.

I had 3 GIRs and 5 disastrous misses from the turf. The practice work on my backyard mat is generally not translating to the course.

Dave
Deep breath, my friend. It will get there.

Think positive! You might be a small tweak away from killing either set! I kid you not, having my irons bent 2 degrees more upright changed them completely.
I'm interested to see how it goes...I'd love it if it were something that simple (rather than - "here you need this specialized set of irons that cost x amount of dollars") but whatever the outcome I'll be armed with some good knowledge, hopefully!

I'm interested to see how it goes...I'd love it if it were something that simple (rather than - "here you need this specialized set of irons that cost x amount of dollars") but whatever the outcome I'll be armed with some good knowledge, hopefully!
If you check out a YouTube channel called TXG (Tour Experience Golf) they recently posted a video about the effect on lie angle and shot direction. I watch a ton of their stuff. Another eye-opener was the tee height video. Just a boatload of really good info.

If you check out a YouTube channel called TXG (Tour Experience Golf) they recently posted a video about the effect on lie angle and shot direction. I watch a ton of their stuff. Another eye-opener was the tee height video. Just a boatload of really good info.
Their channel is one of the few I watch and enjoy

So much information mixed with fun stuff

Deep breath, my friend. It will get there.

There are no worries. I had fun. I would LIKE to play better, but that is what it is. If golf can't be fun when I'm not on my game then I accept there is a problem and maybe I should do other things instead.

Golf is a hard game in the best of times. When it is against the law to practice (literally) it makes it that much harder.

Dave

If it ever stops raining I’ll get a round in. Between the lockdown work and the weather I’ve yet to play a round. Did get a new to me Jeep Sahara to carry my clubs in though.

First post-lockdown round is in the books, 41/41=82 (par 66), so bang on my handicap (16) for 36 points. Delighted.

My playing partner went even better for a +10 76 gross off hcp15 for a net -5 / 41 pointer.

Fearing the inevitable rustiness, neither one of us attempted a hero shot at any point, just played the percentages, didn't take liberties if we were in hazards, took our medicine, etc. but neither one of us came out and said it, or noticed the other was doing it until afterwards when we were walking back to the car park. Worst score on a hole between us was a double a 7 on a par 5, and a 5 on a par 3 (me, him respectively). A real exercise in course management through nervousness (y)

We'll see how we go at a trickier course next week. (y)

Just got back from playing 9. Shot a 48. Nothing spectacular, nothing horrible. Topped a few but shots were online to the point of keeping it in play. No GIR and two pars that came from scrambling, which isn't my strong suit.

Had a decent round going until I got to the par 3 ninth. There was a crew working just off right side and in front of the green. Instead of moving, they just stopped worked and waited. I know it's part of the game, but that messes me up every time. I pulled the shot left. May have been in play but I just gave myself a double and moved on.

When I got to the ninth, I hadn't scored anything higher than a double. Hit a nice tee shot, followed by a decent approach pin high but off the green. Walked to the ball and there's a #!%ing bulldozer doing work about 20 yards from it. Skulled the chip across the green, putted back off the green and finally ended the hole with a triple. I've got to work on my concentration skills, lol.

Their channel is one of the few I watch and enjoy

So much information mixed with fun stuff
And both of them are extremely enjoyable as presenters. They don't have the usual "LOOK AT ME!!" attitude. And, dear God, can Matt hammer a ball.

First post-lockdown round is in the books, 41/41=82 (par 66), so bang on my handicap (16) for 36 points. Delighted.

My playing partner went even better for a +10 76 gross off hcp15 for a net -5 / 41 pointer.

Fearing the inevitable rustiness, neither one of us attempted a hero shot at any point, just played the percentages, didn't take liberties if we were in hazards, took our medicine, etc. but neither one of us came out and said it, or noticed the other was doing it until afterwards when we were walking back to the car park. Worst score on a hole between us was a double a 7 on a par 5, and a 5 on a par 3 (me, him respectively). A real exercise in course management through nervousness (y)

We'll see how we go at a trickier course next week. (y)
Smart play equals good scoring, you say? Never heard of such a thing!

And both of them are extremely enjoyable as presenters. They don't have the usual "LOOK AT ME!!" attitude. And, dear God, can Matt hammer a ball.
Yeah, Matt can certainly hammer the ball - makes me feel inadequate when he slows his swing down for certain videos and looks like he isn't even trying but still hits it a lot further than I do when I am swinging out of my shoes lol

Off to post in another thread as had a nice round of 79 today despite finishing with a bogey on 18 :mad:

Well with my fitting coming up Monday...I decided I wanted to go to the range as much as possible this week and continue to knock the rust off my swing, iron some things out. Yesterday I wrapped up a bunch of work early and went down a rabbit hole of reading articles and watching videos and for whatever reason - I found some things that just sort of clicked in my head. I went to the range yesterday evening and focused on irons (since that's what my fitting focus will be). I sort of had things in my head that would pretty much have me looking at every part of my swing from setup to grip to backswing to follow thru.

One thing I know I do...tighten my grip too much at times. Been making a conscious effort as I've started playing again this year to really relax on the course when I set up to hit...from my shoulders through my hands...to just force my grip to relax. This time I had a different thought in mind...mainly focusing on Hogan's rule of right hand grip all being in your middle two fingers...it really helped.

My swing...I think I have struggled so badly because when I get off the tee, I think I force a change (I think I was doing it unconsciously) in my swing plane. When I took lessons...the guy always said, you have a fine natural swing plane...we don't need to mess with that. I think when I get off the tee...I get in that mindset of hitting down more...with irons...and I think it was changing my plane. So...I made a conscious effort last night to mimic my swing with the driver. Take a couple of loose practice swings at a fuller speed...then set up over the ball with an iron and put that same swing on (maybe at a slightly lower speed...so I wasn't overdoing it...want to keep the swing smooth, stay on balance, etc). The other thing I tend to do at times is overcontrol my swing...and guide the ball or aim it by trying to control the club thru my swing. Yesterday with all the looseness I was feeling was just letting it rip to full follow thru...felt great.

Anyway...long story short...was really compressing the ball well and getting the loft I don't usually see. I hit a lot of low iron shots. Yesterday was flying them high and at a decent distance.

Knocking on wood big time....but hopeful that two big ideas from all this will help my game on the course: 1) remember to leave my swing plane "natural" and 2) remember to swing the club...don't guide it. The swing plane thing was really the revelation...and it also helped me release correctly, etc.

Going to test this as much as possible between now and Monday...

Played 18 this morning on a longer course than usual at 6,000 yds and shot a 96 (HC diff of 24.7) with the 6-club bag. The course isn't as difficult as my home course, but it's got a lot of hazards and the rough was pretty high today.

The front nine was fun as I shot a 45. It was some of the best golf I've played in some time. The 3h felt very good through that stretch and I was able to keep the ball in play for the most part, even hitting a green with it from 184 yards out.

Ran into some trouble in the back nine including making a cluster#$@% out of an easy par 4 when I landed in the sand and proceeded to hack my way around for 4 lost strokes. Lol. I started to have some trouble with the hybrid on the back nine. Overall though, I'm fairly happy with that club being the longest in the bag right now.

Contact with my new irons was spotty, but I'm ok with the starting lines I'm getting with them. Putting was weird. I was struggling with my lag putts, but then sinking some longer putts. I actually 4-putted after hitting a GIR on a par 3:facepalm:. Ended with 36 putts.

Finally got under 100 this week. Started off my usual 50+, topping a couple, hitting into water hazards for triples. But almost got it together with a 45 on the back 9, 3 pars and 3 bogies after a double double 10 and 11. Hope that I can keep it up and have another 6 rounds in the 90's or less.

Finally got under 100 this week. Started off my usual 50+, topping a couple, hitting into water hazards for triples. But almost got it together with a 45 on the back 9, 3 pars and 3 bogies after a double double 10 and 11. Hope that I can keep it up and have another 6 rounds in the 90's or less.
Under is under...doesn't matter if you shot 50 on the front :) Look at it this way...shave a couple strokes off the front next time and you should shoot even better!

Played a niner today. Horrendous 58. Nothing really worked. Neither did for my usual playing partner. One of those days. We still had fun laughing out the mishits and poofies. I had few really great irons shots. Still, it was golf, better than being home listening kids whining :D

I shot 84 on a par 60 course today that I never played before. The grass was very different than on my “home” courses. I left at least 5 great putts short. Everything was on the proper line but an inch or two short. Also the first cut was fluffy so every chip shot was off because the ball was sitting up too high. Either I short hopped my chips or blasted them off the other side of the green.

All that being said, I generally hit the ball well and had a great time. I need to play that course again.
b7b6f43d0ec07dc1ec6e5d1001e03687.jpg

7942707f3f303580505d4d545a2a4c90.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hamfist dragging me out of bed for a 8:20 tee time, early for me. Should be fun

We went out again last night after work and I shot a solid +2, but I was more impressed with how Jen played

She is still very much a beginner with a maximum 54 handicap, but last night she shot a 55 for the 9 holes (par 35) and there were a couple of very close putts that could have meant an even better score if they had dropped

Her struggles are more from tee to green at the moment, but she has started striking the ball much better in these last couple of weeks, probably due to the fact we have played a lot and it is helping her get some consistency in her swing
Once she gets to the green she is a bit of a dark horse.....I have seen her average very close to 2 putts per hole for an entire round on a lot of occasions, even when the greens aren't at their best
If she can get her tee to green game more consistent and pick up a bit more distance with each club, I honestly believe she can knock a lot of shots off her handicap

Back