How often do good golfers (~ <5HC) shape their shots

Jmk202

Reaction score
Handicap
~10
I've started working the the ball in both directions (mostly intentionally) which is a lot of fun on the range, but my question is geared toward good players how often do you hit a shot shape different than your "stock" shot in a round you care about? I've starting hitting a lil draw to hold against a left/right wind, or if I have to around a tree/dogleg, but still +90% of my shots are stock, sometime I've gotten too cute to try and go after a pin, and its usually bites me. Is it only a tool when you need it, or something you do a bit on every shot? Watching Rory drive last weekend seemed like he picked a different shape on every Tee shot, pretty sure he's more consistent than it just being an accident.

I've started working the the ball in both directions (mostly intentionally) which is a lot of fun on the range, but my question is geared toward good players how often do you hit a shot shape different than your "stock" shot in a round you care about? I've starting hitting a lil draw to hold against a left/right wind, or if I have to around a tree/dogleg, but still +90% of my shots are stock, sometime I've gotten too cute to try and go after a pin, and its usually bites me. Is it only a tool when you need it, or something you do a bit on every shot? Watching Rory drive last weekend seemed like he picked a different shape on every Tee shot, pretty sure he's more consistent than it just being an accident.
I don't really get too cute with the ball unless I absolutely have to. Off the tee I will try to shape my driver as much as my swing will allow me. But, if I am hitting an approach into a green with no obstacles in my way, I will just go to my stock shot. I may use it a little bit to avoid trouble on one side. If missing left is not an option for example, I will try to hit a fade so that at the very worst, I am right and safe. If there is a strong wind one way or the other, I may try to shape it into it a little bit. But, I am not nearly consistent enough with it to go full Bubba Watson and start bending the ball all over the place.

The ones that I play with regularly only use one shape throughout the round unless a shot demands something else.

I hit my irons pretty straight overall but will have times where a little draw or fade is prevalent. I would say I work the ball a few shots a round because of trees. I try not to unless I need though. That being said, I may try to play that draw or fade and aim at the middle and try to work it back to a pin on one side.

I can usually pull off some pretty crazy shots working the ball. The problem is that I use more natural ability vs. mechanics to do this and if I try to do it too much it can effect my swing negatively.

I will add that while I can pull off some crazy shots, It is pretty much garanteed that the next time I try that shot it will be a disaster!:ROFLMAO:

I don’t know whether I fit in the category to opine, but I almost always play for a straight to a slight draw ball flight. I will intentionally fade or hook the ball to get around a tree, but that is about it.

The ones that I play with regularly only use one shape throughout the round unless a shot demands something else.

How does a 7.1 go about attacking a course? Similar Strategy to the above?

I'm close-ish to what you're looking for I guess haha, but I almost never do it unless its needed. Everyone I personally play with who is much better than me will also do the same. If there is no need, there is no need to try it. Stick with what your swing gives you unless needed.

For someone at Rory's level, it's a different ball game. They can shape anything on demand, but even at that point, they won't do it much unless needed. Sometimes that can be based on wind, sometimes hole layout, sometimes if they need it to land a certain way on the green. But I'd venture to say more often than not, even someone like Rory or Tiger are playing what they play best.

When you're watching the PGA tour you'll hear announcers (whether you care to hear it or not haha) say something about a guy who draws the ball or fades the ball getting uncomfortable with certain tee shots. And those are all guys who could be +8 or less on pretty much any of the courses many of us would typically play.

A lot

As little as I possibly can, although I am sure I do it more than I think.

For me, it's more like playing the highest percentage shot I have in the bag on that given day. There are a couple holes that I'll benefit from expectations, but I'm never looking at each shot thinking I need to shape it to introduce success. It's very much a situational decision where I absolutely have to.

Also, I play the big percentage shots on the harder approaches at my course. Hole 16 is wrapped by water, so I aim to the fat part of the green just left of the bunker and welcome the draw. Same goes for 18 - all water left so I play to a tree and let the ball work. Of all the things that I hate about being a high ball hitter, my stopping power almost never introduces concern that I need to shape it to land and roll without going long.

I also think this answer changes drastically if we bring in flighting shots. I think you'll find many players will flight shots a decent amount. But shaping isn't nearly as common to most. Clearly someone like Bubba is an exception though.

I also think this answer changes drastically if we bring in flighting shots. I think you'll find many players will flight shots a decent amount. But shaping isn't nearly as common to most. Clearly someone like Bubba is an exception though.
I have two flights...

1- normal high
2- attempting to go above the wind higher

I have two flights...

1- normal high
I can relate to this. Wasn't always the case though. The last couple of years I swear that if I try to hit the ball lower, it just goes higher than normal.

I have two flights...

1- normal high
I'm the complete opposite. I have low and then lower.

As little as possible. I have a few go to shots (cut of the tee, mid flight irons and baby draw with wedges) that I want to play as much as possible. Course management is much more of a key for me than trying to fit shots to the course.

Seems like pretty uniform across the board -- play as many stock shots as possible unless there is a good reason (tree, hazard, other) to try and work it the other way. That's kinda what I was figuring and helpful. I'm using learning to work shots to get better control on my "stock" shots right now. Since my my stock is a "fade" need to learn the feels and differences between a slight fade, and a massive slices. So I can learn avoid more of the latter when i'm trying to hit the former.

BTW freaking love this. As a highball hitter I feel this pain, and have yet to find the "above the wind" height, should probably go higher.

I honestly think that working the ball is something that is overstated. At least as right and left go. I will try sometimes, but not very often. Now, high/low working the ball. That is something I do a lot of and I think is 1000 times more useful than right/left go.

Every really good (sub 5hdcp) player I've ever played with, had a primary shot shape. They only worked the ball the opposite way if they absolutely had to. The vast majority, over 90%, hit varying degrees of a draw almost all the time. I can only think of 3 really good players I played with that sometimes played a fade.

I don’t hit cuts and draws much with my shorter irons and wedges but will hit a draw or cut off the tee on about 4 or 5 of my tee shots on par 4’s and 5’s during a normal round. I will often hit a draw or cut with an iron to gain or trim a little distance if I’m between clubs.

The more aggressive I'm being, the more I shape. I use whatever my stock shape currently is whenever possible, because it's the most predictable. I'm sure it's dependent on courses and conditions, but like some other said, I flight more than shape. I do shape more than I used to though. I used to attack bad pins and angles with just a straight high shot, and that has evolved into not being one of my top choices now.

Off the tee I shape a lot like Radiman said. Go for a particular shape to make sure to avoid a problem the other way.

I've started working the ball both directions with good results. On a perfectly straight par-4, I'd likely draw my driver and fade my approach shot.

Back