Another Club Champion Iron Fitting

I did a 3 wedge fitting at CC back in Feb. I echo the comments about them being excellent with customer service second to none. I ended up with 3 new custom fit Honma wedges, with pured shafts for $700. Pricey, but...

... I have seriously seen a difference in accuracy on course, with the new wedges over the old ones. It’s phenomenal!

It’s a tough pill to swallow, but you get what you pay for. Perhaps try another fitting to narrow down a slightly more affordable option?
What is a pured shaft? Never heard of that

Now I’ve seen the CC fitting on the THP video and really liked it. However Chicago is a long ways from California, and the story’s here all lead to $$$. My buddy looked into the Roseville site but was steered away by other golfers familiar with them and referred to another local fitter. Now to me , hearing your story I am less inclined to visit the establishment. Not sure why they wouldn’t just provide all of the raw data up front. Sorry but it doesn’t sound like a great experience to me. If I’m not mistaken it sounds like you didn’t get to hit several of the clubs you we’re interested in.

Club Champions markup is out of hand imo. The process overall is fun and does offer the chance to hit different clubs, shafts and see the numbers BUT they will lead you to the most expensive choice in my honest opinion and personal experience. With CC, I was a not thinking and purchased a driver for waaaaay too much $$!! I’m embarrassed to even think about it. I should have taken the numbers and found a preowned head and shaft and had them built. That would have been the smart thing to do but now it’s only an after thought. Less than a year of purchasing it, I sold that overpriced driver for a fourth of what I paid originally. It all just seems wayyyy over priced.
Honma is way overpriced also in my opinion btw.

I'll agree with you that there is a markup for their builds. I will disagree with the push to put you in the most expensive setup though.

One of the things that needs to be said at the beginning of the interview is what is your budget. While they dont have a lot of stock/no-upcharge shafts they do have a range of items from extreme premium to slight premiums.

Then for their not being a push, they agreed my driver they likely could not beat after seeing a few swings. My irons they fit me into CTaper Lites (which is a no up charge for a majority of OEMs) and the fairway wood as was a reasonably priced choice as well (I think project X).

Their build is more expensive, but they will stand behind their build for on course play if they built it. SST Pure is optional. They will make sure the weighting is correct based on your fit and lofts/lies will be spot on. I believe a gapping session is included with iron builds (dont quote me on that one)

My real advice if you do a CC fitting is to spread it out over 2 days if you are doing a full bag. Second, make sure you are honest with yourself on what you want out of your fitting and your budget. If you say cost is no issue dont be surprised if they start bringing out the most exotic options since you said cost is no issue. Finally, have an open mind but swing your swing. If you start over swinging everything they will notice. You are not trying to impress the fitter, you are just trying to have their expertise help optimize your game.

Again, I can only go by what my personal experience was with the middle TN location. I guess it was just a bad day for that locations fitter, I don't know.

I did research the local CC that I decided to go to and read the online reviews but did not really "listen" to what the reviewers stated unfortunately.

I loved the thought of FINALLY getting professionally fit but "was sold" on a setup that was not truly necessary at the cost that it was sold. However that is ON ME. I have to take responsibility for that.

In my opinion, get fitted, try everything your heart desires, listen to what they determine is the "best fit" for that fitting session then go and do your research before pulling the trigger. Research research research. Get pricing from other club assembly professionals and THEN make a decision. Do not put yourself in a "now now now" position. The more time you give yourself in the process the better decision mentally and your wallet will appreciate it also.

Final note: like others have stated in this forum, be upfront and honest with your fitter and TAKE YOUR TIME!!

Last edited:
What’s up with the shaft puring? I thought we’d been told by shaft OEMs that it’s not necessary or effective with modern shafts.

What’s up with the shaft puring? I thought we’d been told by shaft OEMs that it’s not necessary or effective with modern shafts.

CC will still push it and there are people that still adhere to it. Pretty much every shaft is close to 99% or above round with some shafts now being made without a spine. I would not pay for it, but I would not stop someone who believes it will improve their golf.

I'll agree with you that there is a markup for their builds. I will disagree with the push to put you in the most expensive setup though.

One of the things that needs to be said at the beginning of the interview is what is your budget. While they dont have a lot of stock/no-upcharge shafts they do have a range of items from extreme premium to slight premiums.

Then for their not being a push, they agreed my driver they likely could not beat after seeing a few swings. My irons they fit me into CTaper Lites (which is a no up charge for a majority of OEMs) and the fairway wood as was a reasonably priced choice as well (I think project X).

Their build is more expensive, but they will stand behind their build for on course play if they built it. SST Pure is optional. They will make sure the weighting is correct based on your fit and lofts/lies will be spot on. I believe a gapping session is included with iron builds (dont quote me on that one)

My real advice if you do a CC fitting is to spread it out over 2 days if you are doing a full bag. Second, make sure you are honest with yourself on what you want out of your fitting and your budget. If you say cost is no issue dont be surprised if they start bringing out the most exotic options since you said cost is no issue. Finally, have an open mind but swing your swing. If you start over swinging everything they will notice. You are not trying to impress the fitter, you are just trying to have their expertise help optimize your game.

As a long time hobbyist club builder, I do not envy the professional fitters & custom club builders who have a lot of overhead tied up, and all the expenses that go with a brick and mortar business. I used to have coffee in the mornings with very competent local club builder/repairman. It was always a very thin line for him between affordable pricing and keeping the lease paid.

And then, having to deal with golfers who came through the door with inconsistent swings and unrealistic expectations. He may have been the most patient man I ever met.

Is there a thread on this anywhere? This is something I’ve never heard of. Didn’t find nothing using the search

So I heard back from the fitter again, and he has now answered most of my questions. Really good explanation on the shafts, which is really key for me. He explained that for me, the primary factor was the weight class, and that the 95 gram class shafts were the best fit. Once there, he said he stuck with the Steelfiber, as I said dispersion was a high priority, if I was looking more for feel he would have moved to the Recoils, but that either shaft would be a good fit.
Now I’ve seen the CC fitting on the THP video and really liked it. However Chicago is a long ways from California, and the story’s here all lead to $$$. My buddy looked into the Roseville site but was steered away by other golfers familiar with them and referred to another local fitter. Now to me , hearing your story I am less inclined to visit the establishment. Not sure why they wouldn’t just provide all of the raw data up front. Sorry but it doesn’t sound like a great experience to me. If I’m not mistaken it sounds like you didn’t get to hit several of the clubs you we’re interested in.
I would still absolutely recommend this Club Champion. I didn't have a problem with him sending an edited version of the data originally, there was no hesitation in providing the rest when I asked. As to which heads I did or didn't hit, some were just a matter of what he thought would or wouldn't work for me as the fitting progressed. I have asked about the Cleveland UHX, and we will see what he says, but I'm sure there was a reason he discarded the idea of putting it in the mix. I did specifically ask to hit a few that I was interested in at the end of the fitting, and it was no problem at all, I just didn't think to include the Cleveland at that time.

So it is still an ongoing process, my personal idea on a budget will have a lot to do with what I end up with. The Homna XP-1 and the Taylormade P790 are definitely in the mix, but both are pretty much at or a bit above the top of the $$$ range I'm looking at. I am going to hit the Mizunos again, and the Cleveland too. I'll probably be sticking with the Steelfiber i95 shafts, but the Recoil 95 isn't out of the question.

Is there a thread on this anywhere? This is something I’ve never heard of. Didn’t find nothing using the search
It’s been in a few threads. It may even be in a video or two. @JB may remember.

Last edited:
This has not been our experience at all in fact genuinely the opposite as during the initial interview, budget can be discussed. While I do think the prices are higher, because compared to off the rack, I do not believe price plays much of a role genuinely. They have a playability guarantee and the last thing they want to do is get someone into high priced gear that they have to take back.

I would even venture a guess that most of the fitters do not even know the margins on the different setups.
Yeah. I was going to say, CC is actually the one I feel most confident would never try to lead someone to a price point. I’ve never seen that from them, and we have done a lot with CC.

People also forget, when you buy from them you’re essentially getting a tour van quality build, with everything as on point as possible.

CC is a huge believer in it.

Personally, I don’t think most would notice a difference, but the mental aspect is real.

As a long time hobbyist club builder, I do not envy the professional fitters & custom club builders who have a lot of overhead tied up, and all the expenses that go with a brick and mortar business. I used to have coffee in the mornings with very competent local club builder/repairman. It was always a very thin line for him between affordable pricing and keeping the lease paid.

And then, having to deal with golfers who came through the door with inconsistent swings and unrealistic expectations. He may have been the most patient man I ever met.

Agreed. It costs a lot of money to have that shaft wall at each location and have the equipment and expertise. Then people dont want to pay for any of it or your time.

I would still recommend Club Champion to someone that wants to be fit correctly. Hands down. Its just the cost of the assembled clubs (or club in my case) that was my mistake, not theirs. I assume all responsibility for it. They are there to make money, not just give it away or provide their fitting and Trackman cost for free. It is a professional establishment and it is tons better than any other that I have seen or read about. The reviews about my local CC was mainly concerning my specific fitter. He was a good dude, but the cost was waaaayyy over priced (IMO for an hour fitting) even with me asking for a discount or if there was "room to move" the cost. I was in too much of a rush to get the driver in my hands and didn't allow myself to think it over and price it out (head, shaft and assembly). Either way I received a better understanding of my specific shaft needed for my driver which I still have in my new Mav Max. (y)

Last edited:
What is a pured shaft? Never heard of that

Dawg, they showed me some vids when I was there. Basically, they find the harmonics of the shaft and which way it naturally flexes and vibrates. We’re talking micro-inches here. Then they rotate the shaft and mount it to the hosel/head in-plane with its natural flex and vibrations. Supposedly allows for less shaft twist during the swing and greater return of the face to square at impact.

Makes sense to me, but not sure how much it gives you for accuracy. But I kinda like the idea and I do have to say, my wedges have never been more accurate... although I’m guessing that’s mostly due to the club/head design and shape/forgiveness.

So I heard back from the fitter again, and he has now answered most of my questions. Really good explanation on the shafts, which is really key for me. He explained that for me, the primary factor was the weight class, and that the 95 gram class shafts were the best fit. Once there, he said he stuck with the Steelfiber, as I said dispersion was a high priority, if I was looking more for feel he would have moved to the Recoils, but that either shaft would be a good fit.

I would still absolutely recommend this Club Champion. I didn't have a problem with him sending an edited version of the data originally, there was no hesitation in providing the rest when I asked. As to which heads I did or didn't hit, some were just a matter of what he thought would or wouldn't work for me as the fitting progressed. I have asked about the Cleveland UHX, and we will see what he says, but I'm sure there was a reason he discarded the idea of putting it in the mix. I did specifically ask to hit a few that I was interested in at the end of the fitting, and it was no problem at all, I just didn't think to include the Cleveland at that time.

So it is still an ongoing process, my personal idea on a budget will have a lot to do with what I end up with. The Homna XP-1 and the Taylormade P790 are definitely in the mix, but both are pretty much at or a bit above the top of the $$$ range I'm looking at. I am going to hit the Mizunos again, and the Cleveland too. I'll probably be sticking with the Steelfiber i95 shafts, but the Recoil 95 isn't out of the question.

I find it odd the fitter thinks the recoils and steelfiber are equal for you fitting wise, these are two almost entirely different feeling and acting shafts IMO. This is only from my personal experience so there is that, but most folks that like recoils hate steelfibers and the reverse applies most times.

CC is a huge believer in it.

Personally, I don’t think most would notice a difference, but the mental aspect is real.
Jman does CC own the PURING process? I thought I read that but not sure it is fact, not that it matters if you like the process (I do) then it is just up to your wallet.

Please bear with me, this is probably going to be a bit long.

Well, I had my iron fitting at Club Champion earlier this week, another great experience, but still has me coming away asking questions. I was at the Sacramento (Roseville), CA store, first appointment of the day, on the second day of business after being closed due to the state Covid-19 shutdown. My fitter, Rob Weizer, was great. We talked a bit about my game, my clubs, my preferences, and my expectations. I let him know that I’m a bit intrigued with hollow body irons, and brand interests include Srixon, Cleveland, Mizuno, and Ben Hogan, but I’m there to see what works best, so no strong allegiance to any particular brand.

After a brief warmup, and hitting some baseline shots with my current 6-iron, we got started with the Callaway Mavrik. Going with graphite shafts, starting light weight and moving towards the heavier end, settled in really well with the Aerotech Steelfiber i95, which I think was the fourth shaft we tried. I hit the Mavrik pretty well with that shaft, but nothing special. So now to the other heads, Ping G710, Taylormade P790, Wilson D7, Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220, and Honma XP-1. The best results were with the Honma, with the P790 not too far behind. During the process Rob eliminated a couple heads he had taken out based on what he was seeing, and I asked about the Cleveland UHX, but he didn’t bring it out.

So it looks like the Honma is the way to go, hit a couple of times on the lie-board to verify that, and then I asked if I could try a few more heads just to satisfy my curiosity, the Mizuno MP-20 HMB and JPX 919 HMP, and the Hogan PTxPro. Just a few swings with each, just did okay with the HMB and PTxPro, but pretty good wit the Hot Metal Pro.

So Rob works up the quote for the Honma Xp-1 with the Steelfiber i95 shafts, and of course the expected sticker shock was not disappointing, out the door for a shade under $2500 for 4 – PW. I let him know that the quote is just a bit above my intended budget, and that I'd need to really go over the data to satisfy my need to over analyze everything. I asked him to email meal the data, and thanked him for a great experience.

More to follow .........
What is the cost of a fitting at CC?
I know it’s included if you buy from them, but what if you do not?

Iron fitting is $150. They do some discounts from time to time, pretty much every December - January they do a 1/2 off full bag fitting and 1/3 off other fittings. They had a promotion recently where if you bought a $100 gift card they would give you a $50 Bonus card, which I took advantage of, so my iron fitting really only cost me $100. Other than the current promotion, they do not refund fitting fees if you buy product, but for me, I'm paying for a fitting, I'm not likely going to buy the clubs from them, and the fitting is worth what I paid.

My wedge fitting was 1 hour and I think $80 IIRC.

Well I can kind of wrap this up, I have talked more with my fitter, and he has answered all my questions, and cleared things up that I hadn't even asked about. Ends up that once we landed on the Steelfiber i95 shaft, he felt I hit almost everything pretty well. He chose the irons I tried based on my interview comment that I was very interested in hollow body irons, on what I had commented on about appearance once we got going, and some on the properties of the irons, such as head weight (I know he eliminated at least one because he felt it would be too light). He excluded the Cleveland UHX because he didn't think I'd like the look of the longer irons, I have since seen and hit them, and although I hit them pretty well, he was right about the appearance, they don't hold a candle to the Honma XP-1s. He put me in the Honmas over some of the others, such as the TM P790s, not because I hit them that much better, but for the added forgiveness. He said that he is sure I could game the P790s, or some of the others, with no problem, just that I would see a bit less forgiveness on my mishits. My main misses are thin or fat, not so much heel or tow, so the performance I saw from the various clubs was very similar.

I went to a local shop this past weekend that has a great demo program, they carry almost everything (full demo sets), and you can take their demos out to the driving range and really compare them side-by-side. I hit some that I didn't get to try during my fitting, and a couple that I had tried I hit some more. My decision is made, I've ordered my new irons, and I'll go into that in detail in another thread.

Bottom line, Club Champion provides an outstanding service. Their fitting process will probably really open your eyes to just how many options are out there, and how narrowing that down to what really works with your swing is incredibly beneficial.

A friend had his fitting at CC today. He was fit into the Mavrik Irons with KBS TGI 80 shafts. Total cost of the irons was almost $1900. He read me the charges and they basically charge for the set, then the shafts, purring, grips, and so in. Everything that comes with the set from Callaway. Only thing is the 80’s are not available on Callaway’s site. I suggested he call Callaway and see if they can do the build to his fit specs. He was very up front that he is frugal. The fitter apologized and said he thought it would be closer to $1200. The fitting he was very pleased with. He was happy with the experience, just not the cost of the clubs.

A friend had his fitting at CC today. He was fit into the Mavrik Irons with KBS TGI 80 shafts. Total cost of the irons was almost $1900. He read me the charges and they basically charge for the set, then the shafts, purring, grips, and so in. Everything that comes with the set from Callaway. Only thing is the 80’s are not available on Callaway’s site. I suggested he call Callaway and see if they can do the build to his fit specs. He was very up front that he is frugal. The fitter apologized and said he thought it would be closer to $1200. The fitting he was very pleased with. He was happy with the experience, just not the cost of the clubs.
How much are they charging for the so called shaft pureing?

That is little cheaper than what they priced me when I had my fitting which was right at 2400. Of course I did not buy my clubs from them since I only paid about half that. I think I paid 1147 for my set custom ordered elsewhere and I got the KBS TGI 50shafts. Just have your friend scout around.

Back