Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

Hit the driving range today to do some side by side testing.

SZX 9* set at -1.5* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 60TX

Ping G400 Max 9* at 9* w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX

Taylormade M2 '17 8.5* at Upright w/ Matrix Black Tie 70X

SZX launches super easy. Even as the lowest lofted option it had the highest peak height. M2 had the lowest.

Forgiveness. Off center forgiveness I think is the Ping G400 Max but it's close. M2 is not anywhere as forgiving.

Distance. SZX had the most carry. G400 Max was very neutral. I think a shaft tweak to something lighter but just as stable will unlock a little more distance. M2 was a distance monster but I would not feel confident on hitting a consistent carry. Like the other ping I think a different shaft (well at least grip) will help optimize things.

Feel/Sound. Ping had thr loudest sound metal sound. The M2 had more of carbon crack. Kinda obvious with those. The SZX was in between. Not as dull as the M2. But definitely had a powerful feel off the face.

It's always fun to do some driver testing. It's even better when the guy next to you has some swag gear and asks do you always hit it that far and wants to talk swag. He even had an F9 driver to hear some side by side comparisons.

Decent round today with the SZ Extreme.

Holes I hit driver today:

Hole 1: Fairway
Hole 2: Fairway
Hole 3: Blocked right, took a drop
Hole 14: Fairway
Hole 15: Snap hook that hit a tree and came back.
Hole 18: Fairway

Not a bad day but I’ve certainly hit it better.

really cannot wait to get my linq in this thing though. I’m hoping it gets sent soon. Then I’ll be able to battle my helium, attas 11 and the linq the. Hopefully have a shaft to put in my 3 wood to try.

The simple change from the STD 9* loft setting to the STD D setting has transformed this driver into the straightest hitting driver I've ever played, that's 60 years of golf. Also removed the tour velvet 360 align grip, that the loft change put the raised red strip on top of the shaft at address, to a tour velvet 360 +4 grip.

Had my lesson this aft and we did nothing but work on the driver swing. I had my SZ extreme set at 9* draw when we started. I was getting solid hits and good contact on the face but he wanted to see a little more height on the trackman. We bumped it up to +1 and still set in draw. I went form 50 feet in height to about 72. Gained a bit more distance and loved how it was feeling. I can honestly say this is the most forgiving driver i have ever owned. Even a toe strike goes a good distance and just a little right.

Spin numbers were running about 24-2700 on my drives. I did get some higher spin when i got a little steep and off the heel once. Even on that ball didn't peel far right. The combination of the linq gunmetal and extreme head are going to be in my bag for a long time if i keep getting results like i have seen. I have 18 holes planned planned for the next three days so hopefully i can report back some good results!

Is the Speedzone fade biased? Read a lot of guys struggling with that miss and it doesn’t sound like it has been an issue with other drivers for them?

Is the Speedzone fade biased? Read a lot of guys struggling with that miss and it doesn’t sound like it has been an issue with other drivers for them?
I think the standard Speedzone is fade biased.

The 9* SZ seemed to be fade biased. I would not say it's an issue.

So wanted to give a brief update from the range session. Hitting the ball decently well and the Xtreme gave me a nice high ball flight but still was pretty low spin. Averaging in the 2600-2700 range with a launch of 14 (which is pretty good for me as I work to get less steep.

I love the sound it offers with a nice crack and the crown to face design is something I have come to really really really really really like.

My only knock on it is the headcover doesnt fit well, but that’s okay.

I am seeing really good distance overall, on par or longer than anything I have tested this year. I know I mentioned forgiveness earlier and I still swear its the most forgiving high on the face driver I have come across in recent history. Very little spin deviation and virtually no loss in speed is kind of crazy. Most of the time, you will see higher launch, lower spin and less speed In that region and I am just not seeing any of that deviation.

Pretty darn impressed.

So wanted to give a brief update from the range session. Hitting the ball decently well and the Xtreme gave me a nice high ball flight but still was pretty low spin. Averaging in the 2600-2700 range with a launch of 14 (which is pretty good for me as I work to get less steep.

I love the sound it offers with a nice crack and the crown to face design is something I have come to really really really really really like.

My only knock on it is the headcover doesnt fit well, but that’s okay.

I am seeing really good distance overall, on par or longer than anything I have tested this year. I know I mentioned forgiveness earlier and I still swear its the most forgiving high on the face driver I have come across in recent history. Very little spin deviation and virtually no loss in speed is kind of crazy. Most of the time, you will see higher launch, lower spin and less speed In that region and I am just not seeing any of that deviation.

Pretty darn impressed.

I noticed that about the headcover as well, but it’s the same way on my custom headcover that I use too.

I noticed that about the headcover as well, but it’s the same way on my custom headcover that I use too.

You hit this thing so freaking well when I saw it at Distance Bash, it can easily be overlooked.

You hit this thing so freaking well when I saw it at Distance Bash, it can easily be overlooked.

Oh, agreed. It hasn’t stopped me from gaming it. Never really bothered me enough to say anything but then you mentioned it and I was like hmmm...I’ve noticed this too lol.

Oh, agreed. It hasn’t stopped me from gaming it. Never really bothered me enough to say anything but then you mentioned it and I was like hmmm...I’ve noticed this too lol.

Yeah I am an odd duck. I put my cover on one driver after each shot, but not the other and half the time not the putter. It was always the longer driver for me, but now with this one I just keep it off.

Something that has been really common from those of us at the distance bash as we have compared notes since then has been how much speed retention and how little affect the high face toe side hit has on ball flight. When I want to get a runner drive, I am almost feeling like hitting it slightly high, slightly toe is how you get those insane runners. My longest drive in my last round was just that. The center of hte impact mark was on the rim circle in the face. It went miles.

@erock9174 what shaft is that?

The head is fantastic weight/sound performance.

I get good distance out of it averaging 230 in all rounds 240 the last two according to arccos the launch is a nice mid/mid high

Dispersion isn’t as tight as I would like - definitely thinking it’s the reg flex shaft I went with. I’m thinking of going with my LA Golf shaft OLYSS for my upcoming rounds - leaving the 12.5* setup though

Love me some 🐍 drivers

I have been struggling with my swing a bit over the last month. I think I may be starting to come out of it. I have both the standard SZ and the Xtreme heads, although I was gaming the standard. However, I am close to committing to a long term run with the Xtreme head. It is SO confidence inspiring behind the ball, at least to my eye. It looks big and square and feels like you cant miss (although I DO, a lot). When I was originally trying to decide which head, the standard was yielding about 10 more yards, due to lower spin. However, last weekend, I had the Xtreme on TrackMan and it was giving me ideal spin numbers. I am going back on TrackMan today and see if I can replicate it. If so, the Xtreme is going in the bag for an extended run.

Latest round and I tried some lead tape, approximately 1.5 grams near the hosel to see if that would help my right side misses. Hit 4 fairways on the day with ball on each of them starting just to the left and a nice fade coming back to the right. My misses right on other holes weren't as pronounced as prior rounds, but still misses. Still working to dial this one in.

Overall through 8 rounds, 50% drives are to the right. My prior driver, TM M6, was 42% to the right. So, always has been my miss, just a bit more so with the Xtreme. Distance is increased by 10 yards as compared to the M6.

Really needing to get some lessons in very soon.

Also, one thing I am seeing That is more prevelant with the Xtreme vs. M6 is more lower worm burner or stinger type ball flights. Wonder once I get some lessons in, if this will change or maybe need to think about new shaft that might promote a more mid ball flight.

Latest round and I tried some lead tape, approximately 1.5 grams near the hosel to see if that would help my right side misses. Hit 4 fairways on the day with ball on each of them starting just to the left and a nice fade coming back to the right. My misses right on other holes weren't as pronounced as prior rounds, but still misses. Still working to dial this one in.

Overall through 8 rounds, 50% drives are to the right. My prior driver, TM M6, was 42% to the right. So, always has been my miss, just a bit more so with the Xtreme. Distance is increased by 10 yards as compared to the M6.

Really needing to get some lessons in very soon.

I hope you get it dialed in. 10 yards are significant. Have you tried the draw setting?

Also, one thing I am seeing That is more prevelant with the Xtreme vs. M6 is more lower worm burner or stinger type ball flights. Wonder once I get some lessons in, if this will change or maybe need to think about new shaft that might promote a more mid ball flight.

Maybe also try lofting it up, which should address the launch and also slightly close the head, helping to square it through impact.

I hope you get it dialed in. 10 yards are significant. Have you tried the draw setting?
Thanks, me too. Yes, I am currently in +1* draw. Will try just the standard draw setting for today's round to see if that changes things up.

Can anyone comment on the sound of the xtreme? A little louder and crankier like the G410 or closer to Mavrik?

Can anyone comment on the sound of the xtreme? A little louder and crankier like the G410 or closer to Mavrik?

closer to MAVRIK, it’s definitely a crack and not at all metallic.

closer to MAVRIK, it’s definitely a crack and not at all metallic.
Was hoping you didn’t say that...that is what probably pushes me over the edge to pick one up with the sale:cautious::guitar:

@erock9174 what shaft is that?

The head is fantastic weight/sound performance.

I get good distance out of it averaging 230 in all rounds 240 the last two according to arccos the launch is a nice mid/mid high

Dispersion isn’t as tight as I would like - definitely thinking it’s the reg flex shaft I went with. I’m thinking of going with my LA Golf shaft OLYSS for my upcoming rounds - leaving the 12.5* setup though

Love me some 🐍 drivers
its Just a cheap house brand shaft from DiamondTour Golf.

I love the color and it actually has performed well over the years for me. Might not be the longest but I seem to always be very accurate with it. It’s usually around 62-64g after install. And it’s not counterbalanced so it’s nice for shorter builds. Like with the SZ X head with stock weight at 44” it’s a D2.

FGS Plus Neon

Back