Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet literally thousands die from it every single year.
I am not sure why this is different (I mean I know its different), but the angry mobs kicking people out of stores, etc. Its nuts, and in my opinion the media should be ashamed with how they handled it. Headlines like "Its official, come home from WWII, and die from Virus" or "Virus kills more than Vietnam war" make me ******* sick. So do many things each year, but its so disgusting.

You mean triple the population since that time causes more numbers? Crazy. Wait 10 years and the common cold will kill more too.

I wont touch on the MSM in the US. Based on this thread though and the reactions from people, it's clear it causes a lot of issues and divide within the country, which is a shame.

Not saying we don't have the same issues, as we do, but seems like on a much smaller scale and not just 10x smaller.

Yuck! There’s nothing worse than Typhoid Mary sitting one cube over at work coughing away and then going to the coffee machine, fridge, sink, printer, and germing everything up. Part of it is corporate culture, but hopefully we’ll have increased general awareness from management and employees in the future.
This is the one thing I wish would change more than ever. I can't count how many people I've worked with in an office who refuse to take the day off sick because they either don't want to use their sick days, think they have too much to do and won't delegate, and/or come in because working from home is frowned upon due to upper mananagement believing people can't be productive at home and insist on sucking every last drop out of a person during the work week.

In my previous job we were not allowed to carryover vacation and could only carry over a portion of sick time. I've had managers who took only half of their allotted vacation time and everyone else seemed to stock it up for late in the year because people are afraid to take time off without some sort of retribution.

working from home is frowned upon due to upper mananagement believing people can't be productive at home and insist on sucking every last drop out of a person during the work week.

This was my absolute biggest pet peeve with my Dad when I worked for the family business. Everyone was salaried employees and expected to be available 24/7. Yet, there was a very passive agressive attitude towards working from home or not being in the office for your 8 hours. It drove me nuts. I am so glad I don't work there anymore. Even during the mandatory stay-at-home weeks, he said to me "there needs to be a way to monitor everyone's productivity remotely" - as if everyone is a robot. He has always assumes that everyone is out to f**k him over.

This was my absolute biggest pet peeve with my Dad when I worked for the family business. Everyone was salaried employees and expected to be available 24/7. Yet, there was a very passive agressive attitude towards working from home or not being in the office for your 8 hours. It drove me nuts. I am so glad I don't work there anymore. Even during the mandatory stay-at-home weeks, he said to me "there needs to be a way to monitor everyone's productivity remotely" - as if everyone is a robot. He has always assumes that everyone is out to **** him over.

Yes, face time is overrated.

What do you mean?

We used to joke about it ... that employers cared more about seeing your face at work - the more hours, the better - than the work you produced.

We used to joke about it ... that employers cared more about seeing your face at work - the more hours, the better - than the work you produced.
Haha. That’s the truth.

When I was nestle I could do my supply planner job in 4 hours - a weeks worth of work. Now keep in mind it took the last person every bit of 40+ hours to get the job done. I would be bored out of my mind for the other 4.5 days per week. When I looked for more work I was told just to slow down. It was more important for me to keep my Butt in the chair and look busy than anything else.

Wow this thread flies.

This is just more evidence that the only real factor in the spread of the virus is population density (and for mortality it's age). If you live someplace like NYC, Madrid or Sao Paulo it's bad news for you. Meanwhile some counties in the US have as few as 1 case. What the data unfortunately suggests at this point is that SIP doesn't really matter, social distancing doesn't really matter and wearing masks doesn't really matter. Living in a city with 20,000 people per square mile? It's going to take more than social distancing and wearing some homemade mask to keep you healthy. But then that's been the lesson about infectious diseases since we knew what caused them so why we're having to learn that again I don't know.
But the SIP did and does matter (in the densest places)
It was only after (well after because everything is a delay result) but was only after the SIP In NYC and surrounding areas that those areas health care systems began to improve as for being overwhelmed and overrun. So the SIP did really matter. I will be shocked once the area opens more and ,more (especially the city itself) that we are not going to again see some good amount of ballooning numbers again. The city is simply just too freaking dense. Unless they get ,lucky and so many more folks in the area already had this thing that herd immunization in the area prevails. I dont know.
Florida:

Population—22,000,000
Income tax—0%
China Virus cases—50,100
Virus deaths—2,200+

New York:

Population—19,500,000
Income tax—8%
China Virus cases—366,350
Virus deaths—29,000+

Seems like one State handed this crisis better than the other... I know, I know wait two weeks on the Florida data... 😉
Im kind of surprised that you posted this because you have been on and maintained the opinion that not every place is NYC nor should everywhere treat itself like it is NYC and its not the united states of NY.
Yet here you want to compare NY with FL while you know full well the population density NY vs florida isnt even close especially considering that NYC flaws the NY state numbers. Fl is a different animal than NY especially NYC which compares to a,most no other city in the US as for density and even few places around the world as well. Due respect....Its not fair imo for one to imply that other places dont or didnt have to do what NY did(as for closings)because its a different animal (which fwiw I dont really disagree with) but then go on to compare it to another place as though there isno difference except for the way it was handled.

I used to believe that MSM served a purpose, it has become obvious they just promote division and scare tactics. My local news has a constant red banner with breaking news even though numbers are barely changing. I just keep thinking of this

Attachments

• BB2EACFF-D29B-4D7D-808A-4EB1733CB680.gif
    BB2EACFF-D29B-4D7D-808A-4EB1733CB680.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
This was my absolute biggest pet peeve with my Dad when I worked for the family business. Everyone was salaried employees and expected to be available 24/7. Yet, there was a very passive agressive attitude towards working from home or not being in the office for your 8 hours. It drove me nuts. I am so glad I don't work there anymore. Even during the mandatory stay-at-home weeks, he said to me "there needs to be a way to monitor everyone's productivity remotely" - as if everyone is a robot. He has always assumes that everyone is out to **** him over.
I'm yet to see if it last long term or not. My current place of employment has pretty relaxed work environment and talked very early in the process that they were concerned with the home/life balance and understood people were having to deal with kids, etc. I don't know where they will stand long term. I'm technically a contract employee so I'm still a bit of an outsider but it does seem quite a bit different than my previous job. The corporate environment always seems to stress flexibility and adaptability in employees but lots of places are still driven by people who are set in their ways who aren't flexible and adaptable until they have to be and still bow to the almighty stock price above all.

58A0E8F1-79EC-458A-AB9C-859712CFE3FE.jpeg
What did Costa Rica do that the others didn’t?

Personal hygiene is pathetic and I complete agree that not only due to the annual flu, but in general people wake up to simple things like regular hand washing, alternatives to shaking hands, etc.
I sort of touched on this bit earlier in the thread. I often get kidded upon by family members and close friends for being a bit of a germophobe.
Some thinghs that always bothered me I felt are problematic and not many folks at all take them seriously enough.

Not using a serving spoon or fork in shared apps or food dishes.
No placemats on bare tables that do not have cleaned linens between seatingsand no where to place your utensils except a bare tablke that was wiped down with a half dirty cloth afgter which the last guest sneezed all over it.
Ketchup bottles (instead of squeeze type) in diners are disgusting. Ive seen folks put their used knives inside them not to mention bang them on thier plate filled with half eaten food and such.
On thsse very THO forums I once had gotten destroyed , mocked, and received so much negative feedback because I pointed out that too many folks directly place thier empty water bottle right onthe spout of the course water dispensing coolers. Thats is a terrible habbit. I also got mocked and killed for pointing out how some folks have the worst spitting habbit where as they (medical conditions aside) just simply spit every freaking few seconds all over the tee biox and greens etc,,,
So then you go fill your botttle at the cooler spout that someone basically licked via putting ther uses bottle against it and then after that you go place your tee in the ground right onto someones spit or you putt through it and then pick your ball up.

I sort of touched on this bit earlier in the thread. I often get kidded upon by family members and close friends for being a bit of a germophobe.
Some thinghs that always bothered me I felt are problematic and not many folks at all take them seriously enough.

Not using a serving spoon or fork in shared apps or food dishes.
No placemats on bare tables that do not have cleaned linens between seatingsand no where to place your utensils except a bare tablke that was wiped down with a half dirty cloth afgter which the last guest sneezed all over it.
Ketchup bottles (instead of squeeze type) in diners are disgusting. Ive seen folks put their used knives inside them not to mention bang them on thier plate filled with half eaten food and such.
On thsse very THO forums I once had gotten destroyed , mocked, and received so much negative feedback because I pointed out that too many folks directly place thier empty water bottle right onthe spout of the course water dispensing coolers. Thats is a terrible habbit. I also got mocked and killed for pointing out how some folks have the worst spitting habbit where as they (medical conditions aside) just simply spit every freaking few seconds all over the tee biox and greens etc,,,
So then you go fill your botttle at the cooler spout that someone basically licked via putting ther uses bottle against it and then after that you go place your tee in the ground right onto someones spit or you putt through it and then pick your ball up.

Someone disagreeing with you about some of these things does not mean you are getting mocked or killed. My goodness.

I used to believe that MSM served a purpose, it has become obvious they just promote division and scare tactics. My local news has a constant red banner with breaking news even though numbers are barely changing. I just keep thinking of this
How often does your News Hour lead with "we start off with some breaking news"

uhhhhh unless you were handed a sheet of info 2 minutes before air, it's not breaking news

But the SIP did and does matter (in the densest places)
It was only after (well after because everything is a delay result) but was only after the SIP In NYC and surrounding areas that those areas health care systems began to improve as for being overwhelmed and overrun. So the SIP did really matter. I will be shocked once the area opens more and ,more (especially the city itself) that we are not going to again see some good amount of ballooning numbers again. The city is simply just too freaking dense. Unless they get ,lucky and so many more folks in the area already had this thing that herd immunization in the area prevails. I dont know.

Just because you do something and some other thing follows doesn't necessarily mean they're related. They might be, although for covid when you compare numbers out of Sweden with no SIP vs numbers out of other western countries that did and find essentially no difference in fatalities or the rate of infection you have to start questioning those things. You can also look to the later reports out of NYC that showed most new infections are in people that were already quarantined, or the simple differences between places in the US. Obviously you can't argue that closing the country didn't help in some way from a purely medical standpoint - it has to - but IMO there's little that tells me it made a meaningful, significant difference to the overall spread of covid besides the government saying "trust me bro".

View attachment 8945801
Just a random thought but Costa Rica is a fairly modern, developed country, at least compared to its neighbors. It's not 1st world by any stretch but it's not Mexico or Honduras either. They like their borders and they don't like immigrants so that probably helps too. When was the last time you heard about a group of Costa Ricans marching across all of Central America to the US border and back? That'll keep the spread of disease down. Please don't take this as political or racist because it's not meant to be, these are just some of my personal observations from doing a small bit of work down there.

And what did Panama do/not do that the others did/didn't? Huge difference there.

Can't be arsed to Google it all up, but wondering how the population density compares in those countries.

Just a random thought but Costa Rica is a fairly modern, developed country, at least compared to its neighbors. It's not 1st world by any stretch but it's not Mexico or Honduras either. They like their borders and they don't like immigrants so that probably helps too. When was the last time you heard about a group of Costa Ricans marching across all of Central America to the US border and back? That'll keep the spread of disease down. Please don't take this as political or racist because it's not meant to be, these are just some of my personal observations from doing a small bit of work down there.

“Used in the world for decades in the treatment of malaria, a month ago, the Caja Costarricense de Seguro Social (CCSS) decided to apply hydroxychloroquine to patients infected with the new coronavirus until a vaccine is available.”

This from an article on 4/19, maybe that’s what they did that Panama didn’t?

“Used in the world for decades in the treatment of malaria, a month ago, the Caja Costarricense de Seguro Social (CCSS) decided to apply hydroxychloroquine to patients infected with the new coronavirus until a vaccine is available.”

This from an article on 4/19, maybe that’s what they did that Panama didn’t?
Maybe Costa Rica doesn't pay attention to American MSM. To their benefit. :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back