Walking to Cart Before Others Finish?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The recent episode of @golfunfiltered with @Canadan and @HipCheck as guests had a segment about finishing the hole and walking to the cart while someone is still putting.

If you haven't listened to it, it is definitely worth it, but where do you stand on the issue?

Against @golfunfiltered . Lol

'My enjoyment is done at that point'? (when I hole out)

Can't really say no one wanting to play with you is bad/unexpected when you could care less if they're even there.

That exchange was great. Loved @Canadan 's approach to rationale.

I'm guilty of this from time to time. And it has nothing to do with trying to be inconsiderate. I'm just impatient and hate the place of play issues that sometimes pop up. I know it's something I need to work on, but I think overall the right thing to do is to wait it out. Sometimes I do it w/o even thinking.

I wait until everyone is done .............. unless I'm with "that guy" that is painstakingly slow. You know the one, the group behind is waiting in the fairway, and he's consistently lining up his ball and viewing the two footer from every angle. I start walking off on that guy pretty early on.

When playing together, we always wait and go to our carts together. Can't get to the next hole until we're all there anyway. Just wait, be patient and considerate.

I am against GU based on his rational haha.

I can't say I don't do it from time to time, but almost never is it because Im done with the hole, I don't need or want to watch you play it out. (unless of course the person is just dragging it out by putting a 5 footer for a 10 or higher haha).

If I do leave the green early, it is literally as they are tapping it in after a lag putt or its because of a legit reason like the beer cart in order to not slow the group down, to see how far my last drive was based on score card hole lengh, to make sure that partner isn't stroking on that hole and make sure he is reminded before he finishes it, etc. You know the important reasons.....

I wait until everyone is done .............. unless I'm with "that guy" that is painstakingly slow. You know the one, the group behind is waiting in the fairway, and he's consistently lining up his ball and viewing the two footer from every angle. I start walking off on that guy pretty early on.

haha, I will get on board with that, if you need more than one angle on a <3 footer, I'll be on the next tee.

Out of respect, I definitely wait until everyone has putted out. I might walk closer to where my cart is located, but definitely turn around and watch.

Haven’t listened to the episode. I don’t care either way. All else being equal, ready golf trumps someone getting their feelings hurt over it.

I'm waiting for all to finish the hole before heading tocart.

Gotta wait until everyone is finished putting. I have no problem picking up your ball and moving to the fringe but show some sportsmanship and watch the playing partners finish.

oh yes.... played with a twosome like this a couple of weeks ago. not great at golf, which is fine, but felt the need to just stroll from shot to shot with no urgency and on the greens just lining everything up, checking, re checking. I walked off a few greens early that day.... not all, but the ones where i could 'watch" from the cart, yep......

I have done it on occasion and apologize when I do. I think with always leaving the pin in, I have gotten worse about it. Used to, you knew everyone was still putting because the flag had not been replaced.

Sometimes I am just in a hurry to get a drink or something. Sometimes I see someone putt out from 2 feet and think everyone is done. No matter my reason, I should not be in that big a hurry. I don’t care if someone walks toward their cart while everyone finishes, but I don’t like when they just keep walking to the cart.

I try to always wait. If really slow and grinding over their 3 footer I will walk to the side and hope they get the hint.

I regularly walk to my cart (push cart) that is off the green before others are done. Usually I am writing down scores and want to keep moving so we don't fall behind on pace of play.

Also, I am a selfish prick and don't worry about others.

I regularly walk to my cart (push cart) that is off the green before others are done. Usually I am writing down scores and want to keep moving so we don't fall behind on pace of play.

Also, I am a selfish prick and don't worry about others.
I do this from time to time too, but it is normally when my cart is “out of position” and will take extra time to join the group at the next tee.

Depends on who is finishing out. Out of the 7 people that I play with a good bit, 6 I will stick around for because they play at a good pace. The 7th can be really slow so I don't have the patience to stick around for him and head to my push cart when he starts his very deliberate routine. On the tee, I am usually walking at least 50 yards down the tree line before he hits. He plays senior tees so I always hit before him and put my club away and go. He rides in a cart. No way I would play with him if he walked.

I'm a firm "it depends". If we're having pace of play issues or I'm trying to be time efficient about doing something (unwrapping a snack, cutting/lighting a fresh cigar, getting a drink, going to the bathroom, etc.), I'll walk off early just to speed things up. If none of those things are in play, I'll move to the fringe out of the line of sight of anybody else left putting, and wait for everybody else to walk off together.

Last edited:
I have done it on occasion and apologize when I do. I think with always leaving the pin in, I have gotten worse about it. Used to, you knew everyone was still putting because the flag had not been replaced.

Sometimes I am just in a hurry to get a drink or something. Sometimes I see someone putt out from 2 feet and think everyone is done. No matter my reason, I should not be in that big a hurry. I don’t care if someone walks toward their cart while everyone finishes, but I don’t like when they just keep walking to the cart.
I’ve seen this a lot more now that pins are generally left in; and even more with mandatory pin rules.

I’m guilty of walking to my bag sometimes for sure but that’s generally when I need to do something and don’t want to hold the group up.

Also seen it done when trying to pick up the pace and make up time.

It shows poor form and a selfish attitude. I can't imagine being that much in a hurry where I couldn't stay for a few more seconds for the group to finish. A lot of times if I am finished before the others, i will look around and pick up clubs or whatever is laying around to make sure something isnt left behind.

I can't say I've never done it or won't again but it'll be more than exceedingly rare that I do it. I may wait off the green in the direction of the cart but I'm not turning my back on the guys finishing the hole.

When I walk (others usually ride) and I know that I have a long walk to next tee I will finish up and say I am leaving for next tee. I have walked towards cart before others have finished out and nobody has ever said anything about it. I do look back to make sure I am not in eye line or making noise as others putt but they don't need me watching them.

If someone really has a stick up their butt about it then it will probably be the last time we golf together anyway.

I always wait for my playing partners to be done. But if I am playing with someone that doesn't wait I am not upset by it.

Back