Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
CEO of MERCK on TV right now, believes we will have a vaccine to this.

Marijuana has none of those side effects. Just saying. Probably works just as well also.

marijuana has a lot of those same side effects. 🤷‍♂️

they are rare, just like a majority of the side effect warnings posted on the last page.

That is my favorite drug warning on commercials.You know they have to say that because someone allergic took it and then sued. It’s mind blowing to me.
drug commercials on TV is one of the worst things to happen to medicine in the past 20 years, and that is saying quite a lot.

That is my favorite drug warning on commercials.You know they have to say that because someone allergic took it and then sued. It’s mind blowing to me.

I look at it as another thing you can thank lawyers for. :LOL: ( Disclaimer - I have been a licensed attorney since 1988)

drug commercials on TV is one of the worst things to happen to medicine in the past 20 years, and that is saying quite a lot.
I like how sales reps can’t give out a pen with a drug name, but they can do a minute-long commercial showing you that you can take meds and still be manly...

You can now take a cart in MA without having a disability or a doctor's note. One person per cart.
Some courses here in Arizona are now finally allowing two per cart again. Before anyone gets hot at Arizona, remember allowing is not the same as requiring.

I think there is a huge difference between “Chinese Coronavirus” of the early news reports and “China Virus” as we have here. I’m not a PC pirate at all but the difference is real and intentional.
To be honest, "Chinese Coronavirus" to me suggests a virus that afflicts the Chinese race. "China Virus" to me suggests a virus that was originated in China.

This pandemic isn't only affecting small business...

This pandemic isn't only affecting small business...

This will have major ramifications for the auto industry as a whole where rental companies buy fleets each year.

CEO of MERCK on TV right now, believes we will have a vaccine to this.
I wonder how many states will say they are not fully open until a vaccine?

I wonder how many states will say they are not fully open until a vaccine?

Impossible. At least from MERCK because they will not have something in 2020, according to him.

This will have major ramifications for the auto industry as a whole where rental companies buy fleets each year.
also SW Florida being based in Bonita Springs / Estero

Impossible. At least from MERCK because they will not have something in 2020, according to him.
I wouldn’t put it past some of the Governors. At least one is on record saying no live sporting events until a vaccine is ready.

The travel industry loss of jobs will be staggering.
So many jobs are tied together, people don’t realize it, they just think of their own job. I was playing golf with a mortgage broker a few weeks ago and he said , no big deal it is the crappy jobs
lost. Such ignorance

The travel industry loss of jobs will be staggering.

Absolutely, airline, cruise, etc industries will be slammed in Sept. Here in Houston, United has already asked people to start voluntarily separating from the company as the layoffs right after the period from the government expires will be massive. Oil and gas got the triple whammy - Saudi/Russia price war, market was flooded with oil already, then consumption/demand fell off a cliff.

My sister lives in Orlando and she like many people there, rely on tourism and vacation-goers for their way of life. She's already been furloughed and they expect it to continue at least for the rest of the year. It's crazy tough out there right now.

I think the markets will be fine, they are awash in liquidity, but the businesses and employment is a real issue... Hopefully, they come back strong, but this drip, drip, drip of opening up makes it harder not easier for these numbers to stabilize.

This is the one thing I wish would change more than ever. I can't count how many people I've worked with in an office who refuse to take the day off sick because they either don't want to use their sick days, think they have too much to do and won't delegate, and/or come in because working from home is frowned upon due to upper mananagement believing people can't be productive at home and insist on sucking every last drop out of a person during the work week.

In my previous job we were not allowed to carryover vacation and could only carry over a portion of sick time. I've had managers who took only half of their allotted vacation time and everyone else seemed to stock it up for late in the year because people are afraid to take time off without some sort of retribution.

I was like this pre Covid. I’ve never missed a day in my life pre-accident. I actually was on my personal payroll screen and I thought, “wow-13 years and 13 days and I’ve never once called off”. I shattered my numerous head on the way to work, only leaving once another manager arrived. I’ve been there through kidney stones where the pain was so intense, I was actually hallucinating. Pneumonia? Whooptie. I went to work. Rain or shine. In sickness and in health.

If I am running a temp now or have cause to suspect that I may have this, it would be utterly irresponsible for me to show up. I asked my boss a couple weeks ago what we should do in that case and he said to call him. I had my normal spring sinus infection a couple weeks back. I did work through that as I’ve had one basically every year of my life the first week it warms up and I’m outside. I knew the exact symptoms and outside of a slight fever, I had them all and no signs of Covid.

Anyways, he said we should call off. I’m not sure I know how. When I had my accident I texted him and my store to make sure they knew what was going on before my emergency surgery. I could barely talk so I didn’t call. I also had a family member call them to make sure they got it.

But I agree, the game has changed. I have enough older people working for me that if I had signs and symptoms of this, I’m not showing up. I don’t want their deaths haunting me forever.

whoops.....

Unfortunately, that's a "common" practice these days in trying to retain what they consider key positions during the bankruptcy. I think what's more important is in this article:
"Hertz still owes about an average of $4,300 in termination pay to 2,500 employees, or just under $11 million in total. It said paying that termination pay will maintain goodwill with employees, reduce the risk of litigation and make it easier to rehire some of those employees once more normal levels of travel resume."

I apologize if that's covered in the WSJ article but I can't read that one since I don't have a WSJ sub...

Some courses here in Arizona are now finally allowing two per cart again. Before anyone gets hot at Arizona, remember allowing is not the same as requiring.

To be honest, "Chinese Coronavirus" to me suggests a virus that afflicts the Chinese race. "China Virus" to me suggests a virus that was originated in China.
Apparently the virus branding debate has been a hot topic in here since I used the term “China Virus”. Wuhan Virus is probably what I should have used.

Historically speaking viruses have been named for the nation or geographic location of origin (with some exceptions where the virus was named for the animal that carried the virus- like Swine Flu or Avian Bird Flu).

There are many examples of geographical based virus names:

Spanish Flu - Not really from Spain
Hong Kong Flu
MERS- Middle East
West Nile Virus - River
Ebola - River

I could go on, I think the question should be why aren’t we using the geographic location when naming this virus?

After some thought, “Wuhan Virus” is probably the proper moniker.

Apparently the virus branding debate has been a hot topic in here since I used the term “China Virus”. Wuhan Virus is probably what I should have used.

Historically speaking viruses have been named for the nation or geographic location of origin (with some exceptions where the virus was named for the animal that carried the virus- like Swine Flu or Avian Bird Flu).

Hong Kong Flu
MERS- Middle East
West Nile Virus - River
Ebola - River

I could go on, I think the question should be why aren’t we using the geographic location when naming this virus?

I mean, "Wuhan Virus" does follow previous naming conventions, so there's nothing inappropriate about it.

The reason we're not using the geographic location is that the CCP has infiltrated our mainstream media and is pushing their spin, which our media has willingly gobbled up and regurgitated. But you (and others) know that as well as I do, so I'll assume it was a rhetorical question. :)

Hong Kong Flu
MERS- Middle East
West Nile Virus - River
Ebola - River

I bet they’d really have a problem with Lou Gehrig’s disease.

I’m the same way. What pisses me off is that I now have a person in my house that is going through Chemo, so her immune system is very compromised. The last thing we need is Covid in our house. All that is being asked right now is to stay 6’ apart and even that cannot be followed.

I feel you. I’m going through similar and it downright sucks. I developed “chemo foot” (do yourself a flavor and don’t google it) recently and life has sucked since.

I'm thinking we'll have less flu this year if we learn the little things, like taking sanitizing wipes into the woods and then - use them.

I mean, I am no spring chicken, and I was taught to wash, then pee, then wash again. I am constantly amazed over my lifetime as to how many guys only do the pee part and then, OMG, they use the door handle - I never use the door handle in or out, or I use a towel.

I’ve always viewed that as the cleanest part of my body. Now the number of guys that go #2 and walk out of the stall back to their feeding trough without washing is fricken just gross. I’m not a true germaphobe but if you see me using a public restroom there was no other way. None. There are few times when I untuck my shirt but if that’s what’s needed to open the door, I untuck my shirt and use it. I then sterilize (via flamethrower) that shirt.

That doesn't make it better for me Obedt :ROFLMAO:

Is this how you use multiquote, @JB ? Hmmm Lol!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back