Walking to Cart Before Others Finish?

How can I provide "roaring engine noises" when they blow it past the hole, or "Weak!" when it goes short if I walk away?

Last edited:
Not something I'll do unless there's a reason. I'm usually the only walker in one regular group. So sometimes when I'm in and the next tee is a longer hoof I'll excuse myself first and get a head start. Also do it if I played the hole unconventionally and my cart is sitting on the wrong side or a long way from the green. I don't ever consider someone else leaving while I'm putting to be rude, nor am I trying to be rude or get in someone's head when I do it. Excusing myself first should quash any potential drama there, anyway. I don't think I've done it to leave a subtle hint we need to pick up pace. I tend to be much more direct in those instances.

Last edited:
I usually wait, but admit occasionally when I am ticked off about the way I am playing I will go back to my cart to sulk :) and get my head straightened out.

I’ll add this in there too: what about the cart that drives up to the green while other cart is still playing approach shots into the green?

Not something I'll do unless there's a reason. I'm usually the only walker in one regular group. So sometimes when I'm in and the next tee is a longer hoof I'll excuse myself first and get a head start. Also do it if I played the hole unconventionally and my cart is sitting on the wrong side or a long way from the green. I don't ever consider someone else leaving while I'm putting to be rude, nor am I trying to be rude or get in someone's head when I do it. Excusing myself first should quash any potential drama there, anyway. I don't think I've done it to leave a subtle hint we need to pick up pace. I tend to be much more direct in those instances.

Very similar situation for me. I am often the only walker, and if it’s a trek to the next tee, then I can either risk bothering others by leaving the green early, or I can risk bothering others by holding up play at the next tee box. Usually a “hey it’s a long walk; gonna get started and I’ll see you up there” does the trick.

Doesn’t bother me in the slightest if someone walks to the cart before I’m finished putting out.

I usually wait, but admit occasionally when I am ticked off about the way I am playing I will go back to my cart to sulk :) and get my head straightened out.

Same, there are times when I deliver a “gonna take a little walk here fellas” thru gritted teeth and will go ahead a bit to get back in the right frame of mind.

I always make it a point to hang around the green until everyone in the group is finished.

Doesn't bother me at all. Heck I push guys off the green before I putt because they somehow find a way to take 30 minutes to put their head covers back on.

I would argue if you are trying to address pace of play issues, a player who is finished and standing by the green while others finish out isn't the root cause.

It isn’t, but it still helps. Also, I haven’t seen an argument for why it’s actually rude other than “it just is”.

I wait until everyone is done except if there is a reason I forme to get to my bag (like to apply sunscreen or grab a jacket). Figure that way I don't fall behind the group or distract when we are at the next tee.

I will wait within reason, but if you're taking your sweet time over that 3 inch putt-- I'm bouncing to the cart.

I’ll add this in there too: what about the cart that drives up to the green while other cart is still playing approach shots into the green?
Yeah my buddy does this sometimes. It starts to annoy me a little when he goes ahead and chips up to tap in for birdie and finishes the hole while others are searching for or getting ready to hit their ball.

Yeah my buddy does this sometimes. It starts to annoy me a little when he goes ahead and chips up to tap in for birdie and finishes the hole while others are searching for or getting ready to hit their ball.

It doesn’t bug me just something I’ve noticed before & esp. now that everyone has their own carts. It helps the speed of play but I better hit the green or else I’ll be last arriving & 1st to be hitting. Ha-Ha

i usually wait, i feel like if someone has the common courtesy to stand there for me then i should in return, it is a distraction when people are walking off and your trying to line up a putt or even putt. i mean we're not pros but does tiger finish a hole and go stand on the next tee box while the other 2 are still putting? show some class..

I always wait until they finish up. Help with the flag (pre-covid), grab a wedge for them if they brought it, etc. Never walk off early.
Good one for somebody who never picks up a flagstick - ask them "Hey, do you know how much a flagstick weighs?". When they answer no, say "Well, if you picked one up once in a while, you might!".

I used it once on a friend, and after that he'd almost run to pick up the flagstick after everybody holed out. :LOL:

I’ll admit when first started playing I was impatient when I was longer or making better shots than some opponents. So I would often be much farther ahead of them not knowing it bothered anybody. Then one day, a friend pointed it out to me and how annoying it was. I then stopped doing it.

Good one for somebody who never picks up a flagstick - ask them "Hey, do you know how much a flagstick weighs?". When they answer no, say "Well, if you picked one up once in a while, you might!".

I used it once on a friend, and after that he'd almost run to pick up the flagstick after everybody holed out. :LOL:
That's a good one. May have to keep it in my back pocket.

I like that... Definitely won't use it on me as I'm usually playing caddy with clubs, hc scattered on the fringe by partners and trending the flag.

I truthfully don't see how much of a time sving you can gain by walking to cart Early... Kind of seems like golf is a "only as fast as the slowest buffalo"

It isn’t, but it still helps. Also, I haven’t seen an argument for why it’s actually rude other than “it just is”.

if you can’t figure out why it’s rude or in poor form then there is no use trying to explain. We’ll just agree to disagree.

AKA I can't think of a good reason.
Or I can't find the section in the unwritten rules book.
I’ll stand at the edge of the green while people putt out but never head to the cart while playing partners (friends) are finishing up a hole. To me, just shows that you’re disinterested in their putt(s), & I’m the first one to say “nice putt” when one is made. We don’t have time for Sabbatini’s in our groups.....just not as fun or social.

AKA I can't think of a good reason.

AKA I choose not to be An a$$hole and choose to enjoy the company rather than hurry off and distance myself for no good reason.

Not watching your playing partners putt does not mean you don't care about their game. Also, not socializing as much as possible on the golf course does not mean being an asshole. All these "unwritten rules" and golfers being so uptight in general are why the game struggles to attract new players.

Back