Do you have a controversial golf take?

#3) Eliminate "The Turn". Why the helllll do we need to add a customary 10-15 minute break after 9 holes so Ted & Larry can shove 3 hot dogs down their gullet? Eat before, eat after - I don't care. The golf course ain't the dinner table.
Makes me wonder - is this a regional thing where it's common to stop for lunch/take a break after 9 in some places? We have a lot of out-of-state snowbirds during the winter, and some of them seem surprised when they stop for a long food break at the turn and lose their place on the course. I've always lived in the southwest (southern CA and AZ), and it's always been grab-and-go if you want something at the turn. Grab a dog or whatever, throw it in the cart and head for #10, you don't stop and kick your feet up for a leisurely meal.

Makes me wonder - is this a regional thing where it's common to stop for lunch/take a break after 9 in some places? We have a lot of out-of-state snowbirds during the winter, and some of them seem surprised when they stop for a long food break at the turn and lose their place on the course. I've always lived in the southwest (southern CA and AZ), and it's always been grab-and-go if you want something at the turn. Grab a dog or whatever, throw it in the cart and head for #10, you don't stop and kick your feet up for a leisurely meal.
Up here it's awful mid day. Everyone expects to be able to grab 3 Stellas and a plate of nachos without losing their spot.
Another reason why I'm #dawnpatrol4lyfe

I am in AZ too, I played with a group once that ordered steak at the turn.

Up here it's awful mid day. Everyone expects to be able to grab 3 Stellas and a plate of nachos without losing their spot.
Another reason why I'm #dawnpatrol4lyfe
That's crazy. 5 min at most around here.

Last edited:
Ban music! Probably not that controversial outside of this forum.

I don't wait for people at the turn. Grab a hotdog, sure. But if I get paired with someone and they stop to sit down and eat I'm going to keep going.

I’m in favor of increasing the allowable club limit. My take is, if a player is good enough to make the shot with a certain club, why limit his/her ability to do so? I’m not saying unlimited, but I don’t think 16 clubs is unreasonable. I’d like to carry both a utility iron and hybrid instead of having to decide between the two, maybe an extra wedge, etc. If one shot calls for a hybrid based on circumstances, then another calls for a utility iron, doesn’t make sense to me that I shouldn’t be able to have both clubs in my bag. I know technically I could, but then the same question arises around whatever club I removed to make room, and the cycle continues.

golf courses should be subsidized by the tours. lower the costs for amateurs and pump money into clinics and junior programs.

if you take the subsidy, your course should be required to offer junior tee times at least 2 days a week. no adult unaccompanied by a child under age 16 is allowed to play during those times.

and they should have reverse handicap times. present a handicap card, and if your cap is under 16 you can’t play during certain blocks. let the higher caps have fun without being pressured by better golfers.

and big oems should subsidize more fitting centers. pump money into nicer facilities with real grass and short game areas, and a standardized fitting system. let the best oem win in fittings.

there’s a lot of unnecessary bloat in the budgets of big companies that can be put to better use in the hands of average golfers.
Huge grow the game ideas, love it. That's what we need

Ban putting. It’ll speed up play and make everyone think they’re good.

Given the direction the equipment debate has gone, it would have been interesting if the powers that control the game (not the OEM's) had ruled that drivers and fairway woods used in professional events must have wooden heads.

strange to me to see some of you guys put ban riders. here in dallas no body walks. i would say maybe 5%. most days i can go a full round and not see a single walker.

strange to me to see some of you guys put ban riders. here in dallas no body walks. i would say maybe 5%. most days i can go a full round and not see a single walker.

Same here in Charlotte. It’s pretty rare, especially on weekends.

No issues with the cigar, don't ash that bit%^ on the green though. Never understand why guys do that.

That and cigarette butts. I'm a smoker but also a former assistant superintendent. Nothing pisses me off more than cigarette butts on a course or sunflower seeds on a green (other than unrepaired ball marks).

You 'll find 10 cigarette butts in my pocket before you'll ever see me throw one down on a golf course.

might be an age thing, get old and you will appreciate the ride. Could I walk? Sure but it would not be as enjoyable to play and also heat is not your friend.

No dress codes.....

What other sport would you not be allowed to play if you show up wearing a basic t-shirt and cut off shorts?!

I think walking should be the norm for everyone unless you are handicapped and have a sticker in your car. Game was made to be walked and max group size is 4. Most of golf in the UK still plays by this standard.
Come on out to AZ and play a summer round when it's 100+ degrees and see if you still feel the same about walking. :ROFLMAO:

Is that a shirt or a shirt of some sort?:D

No just any kind of shirt. And honestly, I'd be perfectly fine playing alongside shirtless golfers. In general, I think golfers are far too anal about what other people are doing, and that attitude drives people away from the game. Dress codes are just another example of this. In my opinion, if what you're wearing would be acceptable in public, it is acceptable on the golf course.

Turns out I've got a few lol.

#2) No more 2-seater power carts. Single rider carts, or none at all. I'd like to thank Covid-19 for this clarity.

#3) Eliminate "The Turn". Why the helllll do we need to add a customary 10-15 minute break after 9 holes so Ted & Larry can shove 3 hot dogs down their gullet? Eat before, eat after - I don't care. The golf course ain't the dinner table.

#3 happened to me today. Spent 20 minutes at the turn and it started pouring on the 17th green and we finished in the wet.

Come on out to AZ and play a summer round when it's 100+ degrees and see if you still feel the same about walking. :ROFLMAO:
I walk during the summer in Phoenix. Now there are some courses that it is impossible to walk because you have to go through 4 city blocks to get to the next tee. If walking was the norm then course design would change.

Walkers can ruin a round. The fastest walker will never move faster than the fastest cart rider.

A single walker was behind my son and I who were riding together recently and he literally ran between shots (I guess he was getting his exercise in) and he couldn’t keep up with the two of us. It was weird and a first for me. I don’t want to exercise on the course - that’s what gyms are for.

Walkers can ruin a round. The fastest walker will never move faster than the fastest cart rider.

A single walker was behind my son and I who were riding together recently and he literally ran between shots (I guess he was getting his exercise in) and he couldn’t keep up with the two of us. It was weird and a first for me. I don’t want to exercise on the course - that’s what gyms are for.
I can easily keep up with 2 in a cart. Most of the slow play I see is caused by cart herding, not walkers.

2nd Jman, ban riding. It’s a game meant to be walked, you’ll generally play better & the courses will be in better shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back