Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.

The lockdown narrative is falling apart.

It’s hard to have a discussion with someone who wants to lockdown healthy people until the end of the year...

Locking down vulnerable people is called quarantine. Locking down healthy people is called Tyranny.
It’s hard to take seriously someone who thinks he has a right to risk infecting others.

It’s hard to take seriously someone who thinks he has a right to risk infecting others.
Spoiler Alert 🚨- No one is taking you seriously...
I’m not going to allow you or anyone to tell me that exercising my freedom to decide what I’m going to do is selfish.

No one is obligated to do anything to make you feel better. That’s part of living in the United States of America, deal with it.

Spoiler Alert 🚨- No one is taking you seriously...
I’m not going to allow you or anyone to tell me that exercising my freedom to decide what I’m going to do is selfish.

No one is obligated to do anything to make you feel better. That’s part of living in the United States of America, deal with it.
There are plenty of laws that stop you from doing whatever you want if it could harm others. Stopping someone like you from infecting others is why mandated shutdowns are needed.

One coworker came back a week ago after testing positive, 2nd, who I work a lot more closely with, just got held home for testing starting today

There are plenty of laws that stop you from doing whatever you want if it could harm others. Stopping someone like you from infecting others is why mandated shutdowns are needed.
So leaving my house harms others? Do you read what you are saying before hitting the button to post it.

You are talking about restricting civil liberties, those liberties are guaranteed in the constitution, they are also not suspended due to a virus.

Last edited:
And don’t forget the governor sending COVID patients back into nursing homes.

In addition, the Governor and the Mayor of New York City allowed their political rivalry to affect when NYC was shut down. It’s sad because their political infighting likely caused a number of people to die from this.

For context purposes, can you share a few of these laws?

Who linked the study in Lancet that supposedly proved hydroxychloroquine ineffective? It appears that study has been called in question. Other studies are showing the hydroxychloroquine based treatment showed “significant major outpatient treatment efficacy” and concluded HCQ and azithromycin “need to be widely available and promoted immediately for physicians to prescribe.”

So leaving my house harms others? Do you read what you are saying before hitting the button to post it.

You are talking about restricting civil liberties, those liberties are guaranteed in the constitution, they are also not suspended due to a virus.
Straw man. No one said anything about being locked in your home.

In addition, the Governor and the Mayor of New York City allowed their political rivalry to affect when NYC was shut down. It’s sad because their political infighting likely caused a number of people to die from this.
Yet Cuomo was getting praised by the liberal media throughout. Terrible.

Keep politics out of the thread please.

Despite the fact that the vast majority of those who die are elderly with a pre-existing condition, everyone is made to suffer. I can hear the single Mom now: We stayed locked down and I have no money, and no food to feed my kids, but no one got the virus!

Suicide rates are skyrocketing, as well as less lethal mental health issues. In same places, suicides are killing more people than the virus. But the narrative folks don't seem to care about those people, or the single mom's, the small business owner, or the 40 million people out of work. It's like your house is on fire, but you are told not to use a hose to put it out as you need to conserve water.

There is no reason to keep things locked up. The at risk population can take precautions to mitigate the virus, but locking down healthy people doesn't border on tyranny, it is tyranny.

People don't like being told what to do. Especially folks who don't know anyone with the virus, but have had their livelihoods taken away.

Despite the fact that the vast majority of those who die are elderly with a pre-existing condition, everyone is made to suffer. I can hear the single Mom now: We stayed locked down and I have no money, and no food to feed my kids, but no one got the virus!

Suicide rates are skyrocketing, as well as less lethal mental health issues. In same places, suicides are killing more people than the virus. But the narrative folks don't seem to care about those people, or the single mom's, the small business owner, or the 40 million people out of work. It's like your house is on fire, but you are told not to use a hose to put it out as you need to conserve water.

There is no reason to keep things locked up. The at risk population can take precautions to mitigate the virus, but locking down healthy people doesn't border on tyranny, it is tyranny.

Suicide rates were aleady up for years before corona, and since unemployment is a large cause of suicide, yes, one can expect that rate to increase. Yes, good point. I wonder why it's been already increasing for 2 decades - my theory is social media causes more mental disease.

Personally, I thiink all of us should take precautions to mitiigate the virus as opening up continues. Why do you want to lock up others? Is it the tyranny of the majority that rules?

The olds and others wtih conditions also have a right to enjoy life. They can't if you do not social distance or wear a mask inside.

Besides, right now, the only way to mitigate the virus is distancing and masks. If people don't recall, young people hanging in crowds during spring break were infected and the proportion of the number infected versus the number together was high.

So I believe everyone must mitigate but many can work from home or outside, can work in social distancing conditions, can travel, enjoy life while respecting the rights of others to enjoy their life with more limited risks. Return to semi-normal until a vaccine is found.

_____
As to suicide,

Unemployment is a well-established risk factor for suicide. In fact, 1 in 3 people who die by suicide are unemployed at the time of their deaths. For every one-point increase in the unemployment rate, the suicide rate tends to increase .78 points. One of the silent drivers of our current suicide crisis is the high percentage of working-age men not participating in the labor force.

In 2018, the U.S. suicide rate was already at 14.8 per 100,000—dangerously close to those Great Depression rates. The average rate between 2008 and 2018 was about 13.1 per 100,000. If the U.S. rate jumps in the same manner it did after the 1929 stock market crash, then the national suicide rate could rise to 16.6 per 100,000. In other words, 2021 could see more than 54,000 deaths by suicide (versus about 48,000 in 2018). The 6,000 excess deaths—which I fervently hope do not occur—would be additional victims of the coronavirus emergency and its economic impact.

A few pages back someone mentioned the 10% herd immunity number, with the 40-60% asymptomatic numbers, and being confused. The asymptomatic folks are just that, no symptoms but haven’t developed the antibodies yet. They can still infect for a time, though. It might take time for them to fully be “immune” and be a part of the herd.

Numerous Counties in Upstate NY were prepared to open today as part of phase two. Criteria was met. Apparently last night Cuomo said he now will not allow this to happen in spite of that. Now he says he needs to gather the data, turn it over to “experts” and he will let these unnamed “experts” decide when we should open. And that will take at least another two weeks. Experts deciding whether businesses who are struggling.can open after a two week review even though the criteria has been met. This is not good.

Suicide rates were aleady up for years before corona, and since unemployment is a large cause of suicide, yes, one can expect that rate to increase. Yes, good point. I wonder why it's been already increasing for 2 decades - my theory is social media causes more mental disease....

I am fully convinced this is true. I’ve talked to people who legitimately suffer from crippling depression and anxiety because they believe global warming will kill them within 20 years. Others feel the same because they think Trump is a fascist and will be opening labor camps as he turns the US into a dictatorship. You hear people describe these things as “stealing their childhood” and they truly believe these things to be true. Why? They spend all their time reading Twitter and in other social media echo chambers. At first you want to mock these people for being screwballs but it’s actually quite sad that these people would be so negatively impacted just because they can’t tell news from opinion and they think shock value headlines reflect reality. I’m not sure what the fix is but it’s taking a devastating toll that is going to bite us all in the ass eventually.

While people are being devastated financially and emotionally by the continued lockdown Cuomo decides to bring on his mask “experts” to lecture New Yorkers on the need to wear masks and to praise him as a “rock star”. This was before he dropped the bomb on Counties that met the phase two criteria and were prepared to open and businesses that are hanging on by a thread that thought they could open today that he will not allow them to open. He now needs experts to now take two weeks to decide if people can open their businesses and go back to work. Not sure who the experts are and whether or not they include. Chris Rock and Rosie Perez. Imagine being a business owner in NY struggling to survive and having to watch that yesterday only later in the day Or this morning to find out the shutdown will continue until some unnamed unelected experts decide whether or not your business will survive. Thats what many in New York woke up to this morning. They thought they could open and have a chance to save their businesses and go back to work. 07E557AA-EE27-4DFC-BBD6-115C5B1BEFB4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back