Is Callaway in trouble

Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
I just found this article. The author seems to think they are.. I disagree with many of his points, and wonder what his axe is. But, I thought it would make for a very interesting conversation here.

Maybe I completely overlooked it, but I missed any sort of explanation of his reasoning. His statement that Callaway "continues to miss the mark on products, branding and quality" is very generic and not factual. This article is meaningless.

I was going to read the article, but before the meat comes there's this;

Callaway Golf is trying very hard to become the next MacGregor. The company continues to miss the mark on products, branding, and quality.

Wait what?

Click bait.

Callaway Golf is trying very hard to become the next MacGregor. The company continues to miss the mark on products, branding, and quality.

Wait what?
Exactly.

I read the article as well. I lost interest and the author lost the most credibility when he said that (paraphrasing) "Toulon Putters are failing because he never sees them with anyone he plays with". Not exactly scientific. Show me sales numbers, show me units moved, show me what data you used to come to your conclusions. Otherwise its an opinion piece from someone who seems to not like Callaway. I could easily paraphrase that entire article and swap another OEM and their various product lines and come up with essentially the same article but just focused on that other vendor as there is no data or substance that is unique and only applies to Callaway.

I read the article and don't agree at all. A direct quote Toulon Putters also cost about twice as much as a Scotty Cameron putter – the most prized brand in putters – so I’m not even sure who the market is for a Toulon putter. This is laughable. Plenty of Toulon's out there, and they're quality putters. Callaway is not in danger more than any other major golf brand. This is exactly why a "layperson" shouldn't be writing, reporting, or sharing their opinion on something they know nothing about.

Sounds like the guy has an axe to grind to me.

not sure there is much merit to the article and didn't find anything to indicate the claims. feels more like click bait than anything. Swap out Callaway and input any other OEM and I would feel the same. pretty poor take imo

Eh, looks like click bait to me. Comparing Callaway to MacGregor?? lol

I read the article and don't agree at all. A direct quote Toulon Putters also cost about twice as much as a Scotty Cameron putter – the most prized brand in putters – so I’m not even sure who the market is for a Toulon putter. This is laughable. Plenty of Toulon's out there, and they're quality putters. Callaway is not in danger more than any other major golf brand. This is exactly why a "layperson" shouldn't be writing, reporting, or sharing their opinion on something they know nothing about.
I think he's confusing the Garage with an OTR Scotty.

Which is adorable. I'd definitely believe what I am reading.

Make no mistake, Toulon was intended to be Callaway’s version of Scotty Cameron. And while they may both be putter-designing savants for all I know, only one of them will be around in a couple of years.

Now I can't get enough of these hot takes hahaha

Click Bait for sure.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Mavrik line and know a lot of people who play the Epic or Epic flash. I played with a new guy last night who was gaming a Toulan Austin putter. The balls he counters his agruement about quality in that they just invested $50 million into the new ball plant. He tried to make it seem like they've only been in the ball market like 3-4 year.

I'm not a Callaway fan boy and I find his article to be way off the mark.

I wanna know where this guy is buying his Scotty’s at bargain prices! 😆

It is well written...grammatically. That’s about it. I can’t really think of a single point in which he voices any kind of accuracy.

As the old saying goes, the article has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. He claims, based only on his never having seen a Toulon putter in the wild, that the brand is failing, but neglects to mention that Odyssey is selling more putters than any other brand. He asserts that the Epic, Rogue and Mavrik releases lack focus and that the Epic irons were a miss in terms of sales, but then fails to mention that the Rogue irons were the biggest selling irons in the industry.

I started to do a little search on who the author is, but decided it wasn’t worth my time. I am wondering if he is affiliated with that other site that portends to review products and has it in for Callaway balls. He praised that group.

One of my greatest pet peeves with all of the content available since the advent of the internet is all of the writing that is empty, but taken as instructive by so many.

I’m glad to see I don’t need to read the article. Another site - people can guess - had a similar take so maybe this is going to be a theme among the lazy for a while. Anyway, I think the article is wrong. The one thing I will say is I’m concerned about the loss of talent Callaway has endured. I don’t think any company loses talented people like this without an impact. I do think Callaway’s social media and marketing game haven’t been as sharp since the departures happened.

I would make the argument that they are in a tough place. They diversified some holdings by financing the acquisition of some other companies and sales are massively down this year across all markets. That said, I think they are in a position to work with their creditors to ensure the future financial stability of the company.

Hard Goods Products wise, I think they are fine. They have had some stumbles, but that is in comparison to how dominant they have been since 2016. I would hazard they were overdue for a difficult year, but did not expect something this big.

Also, the author made a bunch of factual errors in his "hot take" and really did not do anything to discuss that actual difficulties that the company is facing.

My thoughts across the board and when i read that Toulons are twice as much as a Scotty...Was he comparing a new Toulon to a Bag rattled, chattered up no cover Scotty on Ebay?

Clearly someone **** in this guys post toasties, and why have i not heard of West Valentine before now? Sounds like an assumed name for sure. Clearly delusional

I read the article and feel like he just has a chip on his shoulder. As said a little further up, just click bait. Trying to make waves to garner attention. Much like another outfit likes to try to do at times.

His take on the Rogue woods and irons is laughable. They go long but into the woods? Lol. Maybe he needs some lessons because I am pretty sure the Rogue iron line was the #1 selling iron for a long time. Personally, the Rogue SZ driver and I probably had the best driving year I have ever had in terms of accuracy and distance.

Wait what?

right after this he says Wilson is making some headway.. :beat-up:

Just clickbait ... lots of opinions, nothing to back it up, just like many posts on social media.

I don't buy any of his arguments. The ball issue created a problem for Callaway, but I played a lot of CS, and saw no issues. Played Rogue woods - the comment about far into the woods was laughable. Try getting fit. Guess I'm part of a market that would prefer Toulon over Scotty.

The guy just doesn't like Callaway.

I read this, and it seems like the guys just plain doesn't like Callaway. He mentions the golf ball, but he doesn't mention any of the recent upgrades to the Chicopee plant. That's just one in a long list of unsubstantiated claims.

Just clickbait ... lots of opinions, nothing to back it up, just like many posts on social media.

I don't buy any of his arguments. The ball issue created a problem for Callaway, but I played a lot of CS, and saw no issues. Played Rogue woods - the comment about far into the woods was laughable. Try getting fit. Guess I'm part of a market that would prefer Toulon over Scotty.

The guy just doesn't like Callaway.

when I hear “I just don’t like X golf company” I always wonder why? Sure I have my brand preferences. I am sure we all do knowingly or otherwise. But, there is not a single company I dislike...

Wait what?

Decided to scroll through the thread before reading the article and came across this. I think I'll pass on the article.

Back