60 Degree Wedge Distance

I added a 60 degree wedge with a 10 degree bounce to the bag today. I have never played one in the 41 years I have played the game.

I just wanted to ask everyone who plays a 60, what their normal yardage is on a full swing? I know that it will vary from player to player.
I never swing full with my lob wedge. If I’m trying to max it out, I’ll likely just hit the 54

I haven’t done a full swing 60 in over 10 years. One significant chunk in a shoot out match final of a member guest stings to this day. 3/4 54 all day long now.

I haven’t done a full swing 60 in over 10 years. One significant chunk in a shoot out match final of a member guest stings to this day. 3/4 54 all day long now.
For real. It’s why I don’t let my JH/HS kids even carry a LW until they’ve hit a skill and ability level to understand when and where it’s right to use.

I’ve also taken a 60 away from a kid that his dad snuck into his bag before a tournament when I watched him try a flop from the fairway. It rode in the cart with me the rest of the tournament.

For me a full swing with a LW is about as smart as trying to carry that pond that‘s 240 to the other side. Sure it can happen but odds are there’s a better way to go at it.

For me a full swing with a LW is about as smart as trying to carry that pond that‘s 240 to the other side. Sure it can happen but odds are there’s a better way to go at it.
Now that’s funny.

Recently dropped my 60*. Very inconsistent distances because it depends greatly on the strike. Needed to re-gap anyway and that landed me with a more consistent 58* in the top spot. Either way, I never hit a full swing on anything more than my 50*.

The longest distance I hit my 60* is 75-80 yards. I can hit it farther but too much risk with a bigger swing.

This also brings up something I see often with specialty wedges. I typically hit my irons as far or longer than playing partners and yet they commonly hit their wedges longer than me. I’m not trying to toot my own horn, but I tend to be far more accurate with my wedge play. I think there is a tendency to over hit wedges.

The longest distance I hit my 60* is 75-80 yards. I can hit it farther but too much risk with a bigger swing.

This also brings up something I see often with specialty wedges. I typically hit my irons as far or longer than playing partners and yet they commonly hit their wedges longer than me. I’m not trying to toot my own horn, but I tend to be far more accurate with my wedge play. I think there is a tendency to over hit wedges.
Definitely agree here, a lot of golfers try to just full swing all their wedges no matter what, and don’t ever take the time to learn a 1/2, 3/4, or whatever shot

Last edited:
I don't risk trying to hit a 60 long, even though I have done it to get maximum height (actually a 58 for me), but that is not really the purpose for that club. Why not club up some that is why clubs have different lofts. 48-50 and 52-54 are probably the most commonly used wedges in this area with the occasional 58-60 on those rare situations when it is needed. You could leave it a home most of the time. :cool:

What distance you hit your lob wedge full should be the last thing on your mind. Gaps are meaningless at the high end and it's all about how effective your wedge is around the green and not any gap by degrees or distance. Pros don't swing full with their wedges and neither should you.

Not sure how far I can hit mine, never have done a full swing with it. Just use a finesse swing from 40 yard and in. Could probably get 75 if I tried a full swing though.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Only reason I know my smooth balanced full 60* carries 65 yards is because I wanted that number to include it in my '140 yards and in matrix'. I'm just not consistent enough in my strike to count on a smooth full 60* on the course ... unless there is 100% no other option. I'd be even worse if I try to step on it a little. On the course I rarely pull my 60* LW outside 45-50 yards and usually will still use my SW, GW, or even PW inside 45-50 yards if the shot allows for it.

According to Arccos, I average 93 yards with my 59* wedge.

I avoid using it on full swings unless I absolutely have to. I can carry it 100 yards but I don't have much control over it. Usually bladed. On a proper golf shot it is around 65-70 yards. I'm better with my 56 so I use it for most everything else.

I hit my 58° (my highest lofted wedge) about 60 yards with a full swing. I only know that because I play around with it on the range/short game practice area, I don't use it for full swings on the course. I'd rather go down to a partial swing with a 54° or gap wedge than full swing the 58°.

Some hyperbole in the yardages listed perhaps? :p;)

...or maybe I am just a hack? :LOL:

Pros don't swing full with their wedges

They're are plenty that absolutely do. Their full 'wedge swing' isn't typically the same as their swing with a longer club though.

Pros don't swing full with their wedges and neither should you.

4qe0qw24g0y21.jpg

Those are some big numbers @baylrballa. Very Nice!

ha Koepka, thanks for clarifying.

Thank you for all the replies everyone.

I hit a small bucket with the club before playing today.

65-70 yards seems to be the sweet spot for me with this club, and I don't think I would want to force it much farther. I didn't have any need any pitches around the greens during the 9 holes but I did hit it from the sand on a short sided pin with a decent result.

The weight/balance of the club seems a little off............ so I'll be tweaking on it for a bit of fun this week.

It's funny reading all of the comments saying not to full swing the 60. It is my go to shot - 80 yards. I'd rather be 80 yards out from the pin than any other distance because of my confidence in direction and distance with my 60. If I can't get to a green, I'll calculate backwards to be left with 80 yds to the pin. To each his/her own.

It's funny reading all of the comments saying not to full swing the 60. It is my go to shot - 80 yards. I'd rather be 80 yards out from the pin than any other distance because of my confidence in direction and distance with my 60. If I can't get to a green, I'll calculate backwards to be left with 80 yds to the pin. To each his/her own.
I used to play with a guy who was absolute money with his 64°. He used it out to about 85-90 yards, and threw darts with it. I tried a 64 and it was a pile of hot garbage for me. I couldn't get more than 40 yards out of it with a full swing, and I skulled it or went right under the ball way more often than I hit it well. As you said, to each his/her own.

Definitely agree here, a lot of golfers try to just full swing all their wedges no matter what, and don’t ever take the time to learn a 1/2, 3/4, or whatever shot
@gkeller813 is about to be master sensay said on these variations of shots!

Back