Par 5s, First and Last

CanaryKid

Reaction score
Handicap
My course starts with a par 5 hole, which has always struck me as a bit mean, but it also finishes with one too. Does anyone else play on a course with par 5 hole first and last?

My home course currently has #9 and 10 as par 5s. The 9s have flipped back and forth a few times over the years so I've played it that way.

My course starts with a par 5 hole, which has always struck me as a bit mean, but it also finishes with one too. Does anyone else play on a course with par 5 hole first and last?
One of mine starts with one, one of only 3 on the course, it’s odd. Makes you feel like on the first hole if you don’t capitalize then you’ve cost yourself the day already.

Seems a tough way to start a day... but is it a wide open fairway at least?

Both courses here start on a par 4.

Mine starts with a par 4 which is the #3 handicap and ends with an easy par 5 (#10 handicap).

One of our area courses starts par 5(tough drive but not bad 2nd shot), 200 yard uphill par 3, 600 yard par 5, then #1 handicap par 4... its as ridiculous of a start Ive ever played.

Does not finish with a par 5 though.

There are two courses near me that start with a Par-5 and road all the way down the left. One also ends with a Par 5. I don;t mind them too much.

yeah, we have one that starts/ends with a 5...

My course has three nines.

The Hills nine starts with a 4, but the second and ninth holes are 5s. The Woods nine starts with a 5, as does the Lakes nine but the eight hole on both are 5s but they finish with 4s.

I always look at a par 5 as a hole where you can afford one less than perfect shot and still have a shot at par. I guess I don't have the fire in me that seeks birdies, as I'm happy making pars. I do, however, despise bogeys on par 5s.

I am not a fan of starting courses on par 5s as so many think they can reach the green in two. This starts. Back up almost immediately. I have one course that starts par 5 and this backup happens all the time

I think the optimal start is back to back par 4 holes followed by a par 3.

I'd take a par 5 start over a long par 4 any day. I'd like it at the end too, actually. No though, we don't have any start or finishing par 5's here.

I have one that starts that way. It's a relatively short par 5 to start, and a short par 5 to finish. However, while the 1st hole can be reached in 2, the 18th hole is more of a gamble. The 18th has water and a bunker to clear in front of the green, so if you're leading in a tournament you'll lay up. Most people lay up, although if you get a good drive, you can reach it with a long iron or hybrid on the second shot, and honestly that's the right play because there's a DZ around the sprinkler head at the narrowest point which leave you a 36 to 45 yd wedge pitch onto the green and a one putt par. If you make it over and onto the green it's an easy birdie.

My home course opens with a Par 5 and ends with one of the longest hardest par 4s on the course.

I have played several that start with par 5's and several that end with them. I have not played a cours that starts and ends with one.

I’ve played courses like this before.... I actually kind of love it to start, and dislike it to finish, especially on tour.

Maybe I dislike it more from a tour perspective. Finishing with a par five feels like the score is already settled, just a chance to go lower.

I’ve played 3 courses with ending par 5s, one of which actually starts with one too. It’s nice as I get a chance to go driver and FW or hybrid right off the bat which I usually use to tee off on at the next hole too so it can help out a bit. Ending par 5 sometimes stinks if I’m having a bad round so I know my score could be 6 or even 7 more.

My home course doesn’t, but one I play semi regularly does. Give me a par 5 to start any day. My home course starts with a par 3 which I hate.

Yep. My course plays this way and both are round wreckers. The first is a blind tee shot uphill That plays tight to both the right and left (water hazard to the left and a bunker in the landing zone if you go too far right) and the last is not reachable in two by hole design unless you play AMAZING golf and can reliably work the ball high and both ways at 250+. Billy Mayfair was an investor in the re-design of the original course and he alone designed the final hole. I've come to the conclusion that Billy Mayfair is a tw*t.

I used to play a course from time to time (Beaver Brook CG) that started with 2 par 5's and ended with 2 par 5's. You start down the hill then back up the other side and then again for the last 2 holes. Nothing special about those 4 holes, just long'ish and straight.

A par 5 first hole should be a golfers dream.

You can hit 3 of those, and two of these.................... and still make par. ;)

I played a favorite course where the par 5s are 1/9/10/18... Creates a nice look for the tee boxes up and back as well as a picturesque view from the patio and clubhouse.

Also kicking off the round with a tough hole, but presenting each end of 9 with scoring opportunity

Not my home course but a couple nicer local courses I play a few times each year start and end with par fives. Highland Springs CC which hosts our annual Korn Ferry event and Buffalo Ridge which was one of the courses our annual Campions/Legends event was played on...up until it was axed this year.
#18 is the more challenging par 5 on both.

My course also starts and ends with a par 5. However the first hole is a double dogleg, and I end up hitting two mid-irons and, if all went well, anything from an 8-iron to wedge for my third shot into the green.

One of our area courses starts par 5(tough drive but not bad 2nd shot), 200 yard uphill par 3, 600 yard par 5, then #1 handicap par 4... its as ridiculous of a start Ive ever played.

Does not finish with a par 5 though.
Ooft, I would be delighted to get to the 5th only 4 over!

Back