Do you full swing your highest lofted wedge?

Do you full swing your highest lofted wedge?

• Of course.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • No one should ever do that.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • It's my favorite.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I stop at 3/4.

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • I hit it harder, faster, and deeper than everyone else.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Not a lot, but I aint scared of it.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • No - other

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • If the distance is right.

Votes: 22 19.5%

• Total voters

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
The 60* distance thread has me wondering what the actual percentage is among THPers. And tonight is the last night of the Post Drive, so let's hear from some of you.

Oh man, some click craziness happened there as I dropped my phone and it wasn't quite ready. lol Anyway...

What say you, and why/why not?

I do sometimes but I top out at 58 degrees. Maybe once every other round but only if the pin is at the carry distance of that wedge and spin won’t kill me. A lot has to be right to full swing it

I generally don’t swing harder than 3/4...

Ask me again in July after I get my 60 degree Vokey, but at 56 degrees max, I do occasionally hit full out

Normally no, I carry a low bounce 60. Problem is , too easy to catch high on the face and then it goes no where, or the dreaded blade.

I have a 58° that I 3/4 swing regularly. When I played a 60° I would full swing that on occasion.

I do full swing my 60 degree wedge

"No - other". As a general rule I don't do it - but if the lie was just right, my swing was good that day and I was feeling froggy, I might attempt it. But it's not a usual or common part of my game and probably 99% of the time I'd go to a partial swing with a 54° or AW.

I never used to. Then I changed to the Ping Glide 3.0. It’s a cavity back design, and I have no trouble putting a full swing on the club. More people should look into these cavity back wedges IMO. For reference, my most lofted wedge is 56 degrees.

Not my answer but now you have me thinking... What would happen?

"I hit it harder, faster, and deeper than everyone else."
Also made me think of the song

Why have it in the bag if I can't swing it?😆

The 60* distance thread has me wondering what the actual percentage is among THPers. And tonight is the last night of the Post Drive, so let's hear from some of you.

Oh man, some click craziness happened there as I dropped my phone and it wasn't quite ready. lol Anyway...

What say you, and why/why not?

Considering that my normal full swing with any club is about 3/4 compared to most sane golfers, wedge were always easy to hit full.

But with that said, I try to play wedges more by feel more than maxing them out for distance.

Whether it's been a 58* or a 60* wedge, full swings with them during a round for score is an extremely rare occurrence for me. Many seasons I'd bet my number was zero full swing attempts. Experiments have proven to me that I'm simply not good enough to count on the requisite consistency. I get MUCH better results with partial swings with less lofted wedges. Maybe not every single shot but the differences are staggering when I compare sets including several shots.

Last edited:
I never used to. Then I changed to the Ping Glide 3.0. It’s a cavity back design, and I have no trouble putting a full swing on the club. More people should look into these cavity back wedges IMO. For reference, my most lofted wedge is 56 degrees.

Rarely.

I have a 58° wedge and if I am between 75-80 from the green I will go full swing.

Not my answer but now you have me thinking... What would happen?

"I hit it harder, faster, and deeper than everyone else."
Also made me think of the song

At least your mind is in the right place.

58 degrees. It'll go about 75 yds. and back up. I usually hit my 54 from that distance.

My highest lifted wedge is my 60. I use that in the 60 to 75 yard range quite often. A full swing I will get about 75 yards. If I throttle the full swing I get about 60 yards. Anything under that I usually go to the 56 because I can hit that more consistently with a 3/4, 1/2, and shorter swing.

That's just smart. You're killing it, but with how little time you've been playing, it doesn't seem like a necessity.

I stop at 3/4 with my 60* and only do it if it’s the only shot available. I have tried to take a full shot with it on the range before and there’s just so many better ways to hit that shot with more margin for error

I have before but usually do 3/4 with my 54 instead. If there is room I’ll even go down to an A or PW and bump n run it on.

Back