The Putting Stroke

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
So I have been watching Shell's Wonderful World of Golf on YouTube. I noticed that Snead, Nicklaus, and Palmer have very active risks in their putting strokes. I have always putted with my shoulders, keeping my hands and arms out of the stroke, with mixed success.

I know it goes against today's conventional wisdom, but I thought I would give the "wrist stroke" a try. I made three longish birdie putts. Maybe it was a one off, but I found I could judge the speed a lot better with a wristy stroke. Only time will tell...

Interesting experiment.

I was pushed towards less wrist as a kid, but also ultimately towards whatever allowed me to have to most touch/feel for it. I think you probably try to start with good fundamentals and find whatever works for you off of that. One of the better putters I play with is really handsy compared to me, and my grandpa, who was a great putter was too. He always thought if people could control the distance that it actually allowed for a shorter stroke and less head rotation problems.

Mine are a little bit more or less active depending on the day, but I don't know how others would say they are overall. I don't think it's overly handsy.

Interesting experiment.

I was pushed towards less wrist as a kid, but also ultimately towards whatever allowed me to have to most touch/feel for it. I think you probably try to start with good fundamentals and find whatever works for you off of that. One of the better putters I play with is really handsy compared to me, and my grandpa, who was a great putter was too. He always thought if people could control the distance that it actually allowed for a shorter stroke and less head rotation problems.

Mine are a little bit more or less active depending on the day, but I don't know how others would say they are overall. I don't think it's overly handsy.

This stroke is definitely very handsy...the only modern player I can think of who is a bit handsy is Snedeker.

This stroke is definitely very handsy...the only modern player I can think of who is a bit handsy is Snedeker.

That would be something. I don't know how many people can pull that off. He's handsy, and quick. It seems like a pretty unique skill. You should take a video of it to show us. I think that'd be cool to see. :)

Probably the main reason they used such wristy strokes back in those days was that the greens were much slower than they are today. Took more effort and moving parts to get the ball rolling, especially on longer putts.

That would be something. I don't know how many people can pull that off. He's handsy, and quick. It seems like a pretty unique skill. You should take a video of it to show us. I think that'd be cool to see. :)

I am camera shy, lol.

Probably the main reason they used such wristy strokes back in those days was that the greens were much slower than they are today. Took more effort and moving parts to get the ball rolling, especially on longer putts.

I read that was the reason for that kind of stroke. I will see how it works over the next few rounds.

I am camera shy, lol.
So I made a joke at first, but I'm editing because honestly, putting it out there can be pretty freeing. And the guys/gals here are really supportive overall. Absolutely no pressure though. (y)

Think of it like darts. If you ever watch any pro dart tournaments, you’ll see as many different techniques as there are players. They all have the same goal, similar mechanics, but widely different ways of doing it.

Think of it like darts. If you ever watch any pro dart tournaments, you’ll see as many different techniques as there are players. They all have the same goal, similar mechanics, but widely different ways of doing it.

That is kind of what I was thinking, especially with putting, as it is such an individual thing. I practiced it this morning with good results, but you can't take anything for granted in this game, and as Smiter said in a PM, just when you think you have something figured out in this game...lol

I changed my stroke after watching replays of Spieth - I stand taller, the left arm is more in front of the shoulder socket, the right arm in the shoulder socket - and yes, you can hinge more on longer putts.

So I have been watching Shell's Wonderful World of Golf on YouTube. I noticed that Snead, Nicklaus, and Palmer have very active risks in their putting strokes. I have always putted with my shoulders, keeping my hands and arms out of the stroke, with mixed success.

I know it goes against today's conventional wisdom, but I thought I would give the "wrist stroke" a try. I made three longish birdie putts. Maybe it was a one off, but I found I could judge the speed a lot better with a wristy stroke. Only time will tell...
I have putted both ways and I have to have some wrist movement in my putts or the "feel" is simply not there. When I use the triangle pendulum from my body it feels way too rigid/stiff for me.

I like that fluid feel when I am putting and not so much on short putts, but a decent amount of follow-through on the longer putts. I believe one should find what they are comfortable with as long as the wrist work with the cg of the body you should be golden. I know some guys are so wristy that they get off balance and don't putt well at all.

I've been having wonderful results by incorporating more wrist action lately. I'm also abbreviating the follow through and trying to emulate Schnedecker and Fowler somewhat. I'm also elevating the heel of my putter and addressing the ball slightly toward the toe - this seems to put a very good end-over-end roll on the ball.

I have also been experimenting with this. I am trying the more pop stroke like Sneds. I think it works well and helps me return the putter back to intended position easier.

They played on crappy, and slow, greens compared to modern ones. Agronomy has changed a lot of the game. A pop stroke was necessary then, now it’s more a potential variable than anything.

They played on crappy, and slow, greens compared to modern ones. Agronomy has changed a lot of the game. A pop stroke was necessary then, now it’s more a potential variable than anything.

So far I am putting better with the handsy type stroke. We'll see if that lasts through, lol.

Back