Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.

A lot of this has been reported but thought it was a fun read regardless

I guess I just don't understand the desire to be defiant in something as trivial as putting a covering over your face for a temporary time. Is it because people don't like being told what to do? Perhaps. I get it. I don't love authority and like my freedoms.

But I fail to see the big deal about doing it. Restaurant patios are open now in IL, and I had a great weekend (and a few too many beers) sitting with my friends, no mask while drinking/eating, and felt great. When I got up and was still around others, I slipped my mask on for like three minutes until I was away from others and went about my day.

Maybe it is totally about feelings over function. But aren't those important too?

Defiant? Did I say I absolutely refused to wear one? No! I said I will not be wearing one unless it’s required. That is hardly defiant.

Once a vaccine is available widespread, I can see the economy bouncing back very quickly, within a year.
That would certainly accelerate things. I don't think it's necessary though. The more we learn the less dangerous this virus is. We know it's really only a high risk for very old and/or folks with several comorbidities specifically around heart disease. The only thing a vaccine will really change is the ability to visit nursing homes and extremely ill family members. I think most everyone else will be willing to live with the risk.

The info has admittedly gone back and forth so it’s a little hard to remember where we stand but I think the latest word is that wearing a mask doesn’t protect us from acquiring C19 but it does help against spreading it to others. If that’s correct, not wearing a mask is putting others at an increased risk. I don’t know about respect but that seems to demonstrate a lack of consideration for others.

I personally do not feel it’s lack of consideration for others or disrespectful to not wear a mask.

If I am doing my part to wash my hands, shower, cover my cough/sneezes the proper way and practicing good personal hygiene then I’m doing my part. None of those require me to wear a mask.

The wife and I will be finding a bar/pub/restaurant this weekend to have a sit down beverage and food. It will be glorious.

Friends from CA are visiting S. Carolina. They report things are WAY different in SC than CA and that it’s almost weird to be able to sit at a bar and have a drink.

It really will be glorious. We have gone out to eat in a restaurant quite a few times now and it has been so nice to feel somewhat "normal" again. I hope you have a great time!

I’m happy to see that less than half of the people in the airport are wearing masks and it’s damn easy to maintain social distancing.

DB7A98B7-13B8-4318-AC13-D1EB541AD4A1.jpeg20FC5FD1-D2DB-44C6-A477-CB3816BC7C21.jpeg

That would certainly accelerate things. I don't think it's necessary though. The more we learn the less dangerous this virus is. We know it's really only a high risk for very old and/or folks with several comorbidities specifically around heart disease. The only thing a vaccine will really change is the ability to visit nursing homes and extremely ill family members. I think most everyone else will be willing to live with the risk.
Please, please, please, respectfully, PLEASE stop with this narrative that Covid is not risky for young people. Yes, the elderly are higher risk, but all are at risk.

Please, please, please, respectfully, PLEASE stop with this narrative that Covid is not risky for young people. Yes, the elderly are higher risk, but all are at risk.

We are all at risk of car accidents. Should we all stop driving?

Average age of Death here in Minnesota is 82 and so far zero deaths under the age of 30. The common flu kills the young at a much higher rate than Covid 19. 78% of the confirmed cases here are under the age of 60 but they only are 7% of the deaths. Younger people need to go back to work and school ASAP.

B5748DBC-0D2B-41B2-9942-A4037014CD18.jpeg

Last edited:
We are all at risk of car accidents. Should we all stop driving?
How contagious are car accidents? Forget comparing apples to oranges, this is comparing apples to Kirkland putters.

Regular flu is more dangerous for kids.

How contagious are car accidents? Forget comparing apples to oranges, this is comparing apples to Kirkland putters.

Im not sure how to quantify this and while I agree, death by car accident is at the hands of others, so you could say yes

That is not his point. The point is, wrecking an economy and telling people what they can and can’t do. Even in the privacy of their own home, in the name of safety.

NY may not be the best resource for this. Contrast with my home state of Oregon. We have 4.2m residents. We have had 4302 cases. Of those, 244 are people under 20. Of those 10 have required hospitalization and 0 have died. So the risk for anyone getting C19 is extremely low (0.001% - 4302/2.4m). And yes, it can be serious for young people (10 hospitalizations) but the incidence rate is extremely low (.05% of total cases - 244/4302), as is the risk that it will be serious (.004 - 10/244) much less fatal (0).

Last edited:
Do you really think nominal GDP in a year? Maybe 18 months?

Despite a complete overreaction, what is done is done, but I am genuinely not sure how it would even be possible to get GDP back to nominal in that short of span. Expectation is a full 12% drop in 2nd quarter, with unemployment tripling. As a numbers guy, how would that shake out?

Well I imagine we could federalize rioting and looting cleanup to create Jobs.

I bought some really basic face shields for SA Fishing and am willingly wearing them into places like grocery stores, larger stores, places I do not regularly go. They have a marginal impact on particulates, but this is my version of telling others, particularly the older population, that I recognize the potential health concerns.

Last time I went to the golf course, I had it around my neck (which is actually a surprisingly viable way to keep sun off it wearing as a gaiter, but never bothered to put it on while checking in to golf, and after my round. I felt comfortable in my surroundings and the people I was with (who ranged from 24 to 65+). I put it up a couple times for jokes, and even offered my Dad one who gladly accepted it.

Truth is, I felt very strange wearing an around the ear cloth mask to the store. Based on reading, it was my understanding that I am not shielding myself from the Rona by wearing even an N95, and my ability to navigate a store and read the situation was a more effective tool.

This is what I would consider to be a happy medium. It shows some support of the basic concerns (aka reducing any blasting of germs I could be promoting) while not making me feel like a moron.

If that's not enough? well... I'm sorry. With 5 dollar click list options at groceries, I'd recommend using that instead of exposing yourself.

It's not as risky as other risks that we take though. I never get a flu shot and the flu is way more risky for me. Sorry, there is some risk, but it is infinitesimal for me a healthy 40 year old. For my children it's near 0. Data is on my side.

I bought some really basic face shields for SA Fishing and am willingly wearing them into places like grocery stores, larger stores, places I do not regularly go. They have a marginal impact on particulates, but this is my version of telling others, particularly the older population, that I recognize the potential health concerns.

Last time I went to the golf course, I had it around my neck (which is actually a surprisingly viable way to keep sun off it wearing as a gaiter, but never bothered to put it on while checking in to golf, and after my round. I felt comfortable in my surroundings and the people I was with (who ranged from 24 to 65+). I put it up a couple times for jokes, and even offered my Dad one who gladly accepted it.

Truth is, I felt very strange wearing an around the ear cloth mask to the store. Based on reading, it was my understanding that I am not shielding myself from the Rona by wearing even an N95, and my ability to navigate a store and read the situation was a more effective tool.

This is what I would consider to be a happy medium. It shows some support of the basic concerns (aka reducing any blasting of germs I could be promoting) while not making me feel like a moron.

If that's not enough? well... I'm sorry. With 5 dollar click list options at groceries, I'd recommend using that instead of exposing yourself.

Any virus can easily enter through the eyes if you are in close proximity to a contagious person so wearing goggles is essential along with an N95 or P100 respirator. If you have not been fit tested or trained on proper use or have any facial hair an N95 respirator will provide little protection for you or anyone around you. This whole idea that homemade or surgical masks are protecting anyone outside of a medical setting is laughable. I wear my N95 on the rare(less than once a week) occasion I go into a store or public place with more than a few people out of respect for others and am wearing a mask on my Delta flight right now but only because it’s required.

It's not as risky as other risks that we take though. I never get a flu shot and the flu is way more risky for me. Sorry, there is some risk, but it is infinitesimal for me a healthy 40 year old. For my children it's near 0. Data is on my side.
Covid is far worse than the flu. I can't imagine to what data you are referring.

Any virus can easily enter through the eyes if you are in close proximity to a contagious person so wearing goggles is essential along with an N95 or P100 respirator. If you have not been fit tested or trained on proper use or have any facial hair an N95 respirator will provide little protection for you or anyone around you. This whole idea that homemade or surgical masks are protecting anyone outside of a medical setting is laughable. I wear my N95 on the rare(less than once a week) occasion I go into a store or public place with more than a few people out of respect for others and am wearing a mask on my Delta flight right now but only because it’s required.
I think that's kind of the point.

If my wearing of this sort-of-mask makes people feel better, I'm okay with it. I'm not doing the homemade around the ear ones. It just isn't happening. To me, that's no different than wearing a seat belt made out of fruit by the foot.

Covid is far worse than the flu. I can't imagine to what data you are referring.

I would genuinely love to see the current data that supports this for healthy younger people.

The use of a mask is Safety Theatre, It’s an illusion of safety. I’ve participated in enough 3M fit tests and training to know that a regular cloth mask will not prevent anything like COVID19 droplets from getting though.

No one is required to do anything to make you feel better, and your whole point is about respect and feelings not function.

No, it is about function.

Current thinking is the less dose of covid you may receive, the better.

55E9AC65-DCA0-405D-9434-786E19796528.jpeg
This is the data that they are referring to ⬆️...

Look, I know that I won't persuade or evidence won't persuade, or even being conservative, won't persuade those who don't want to wear masks.

I get it - you don't believe you may hurt others although CDC asks one to wear a mask, and you don't believe there is a chance in hell that you'll infect others. A mask is really not that much of an inconvenience when you go inside or in crowds. It's a balance and the cost to wearing one in certaiin siituations is relatively low.

But good luck with that... hope you are right for those who are around you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back