I love it. Some set wedges aren't great. It sounds like maybe those weren't well suited for you or your game. Or it was mental. No reason any of that should have been happening.

As far as touch, I don't know quite how to respond without sounding like a Richard, but Idon't think a lot of people are near as good as they think they are around the green, and could use the help. I remember the first time I tried an RTX 3 cavity back I noticed immediately how it was livelier compared to my blades (don't recall what they were at that time), but I just had to adjust to it for a minute. Like you would with any new/different club, ball, whatever.
I've tried the CBXs and I play Glides right now. I have countless videos on course showing me dropping balls from all kinds of places within a few inches of my intended landing. I don't think the clubs are hurting my touch, and certainly not making shots worse.
I’m definitely bad around the greens lol. I was playing Callaway x-14 pro series and got a mix of Cleveland and vokey wedges so I also upgraded 15 years in tech. It definitely could have been mental but as soon as I got those wedges I was performing much better with my chipping (which is still not very good).

Cool thing about the CBX2 and Full Face? Versatility isn’t sacrificed much at all.

I believe that the Full Face is every bit as versatile as any other wedge I have played. I can hit any shot with my 58 degree Full Face that I can with any other specialty wedge.

Maybe it was mental for me looking at a thicker wedge or just that I was newer to the game but I have down much better since I switched to a vokey. I love my dads Cleveland wedges so definitely giving some thought to trying out the CBX
Vokeys were just the opposite for me. I bought a 54 and 58 back when I didn't know anything about bounce - I don't remember how much bounce they had, but all I could do with those Vokeys was dig ditches. I should've saved them for in case I ever want to do an irrigation project in my backyard or something, they'd work better than a trenching shovel. :LOL:

I think we will continue to see improving sole designs with wedges.
More effective bounce has many benefits across all skill levels. The v sole on iron designs is growing in popularity. Relieved leading edge with pronounced rocker or v has shown a lot of golfers that you don't need a wedge with a razors edge to be effective.
The tour level wedges are great in tour level turf but can be brutal at the Muni.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Vokeys were just the opposite for me. I bought a 54 and 58 back when I didn't know anything about bounce - I don't remember how much bounce they had, but all I could do with those Vokeys was dig ditches. I should've saved them for in case I ever want to do an irrigation project in my backyard or something, they'd work better than a trenching shovel. :LOL:
This happened to me, but I stuck with my Vokeys (almost threw the towel in a few times though) and now they are becoming my aces. I would say in the last 8 or 10 rounds I have had really decent wedge games.

The only thing I am trying this week are the same wedges 54 and 58 with graphite shafts because the Vokeys are a bit heavy compared to my other irons and I notice that affects me especially when I am tiring down on the back 9.

I like the idea of forgiving wedges. But what I like even more is having the second set wedge.

That set A/G/U whatever you want to call it makes a lot of sense of flowing from your set to the wedges. I think a lot of golfers still use that club as more of a full swing club than for around the green. It also helps make sure that the sole design is consistent with your irons.

Forgiveness in a sand wedge and lob wedge makes a ton of sense. With that much loft having preservation of ball speed on slight mis hits will help ensure consistent performance off more of the face. I think the sole design goes into how versatile the club feels, not the perimeter weighting of the club. So long as it looks good I could see myself using one.

I've always used a full swing with all my wedges, so I guess I'm on the minority side of wedge use. BUT to comment on the recommendations for a more forgiving wedge I give you ... the EDISON wedge.
I played the SCOR wedges (same designer) for as long as I could find them, then Ben Hogan TK-15 (same designer). I've been trying Cobra & Mzuno since with OK results but now will be going Edison from here on out.
I bought the 51° gap as a tester and it is as good and in the forgiveness dept better than my favorite SCOR wedges. The back of the club looks different than what you're used to but it pretty much perfect at address. Excellent head size and shape, clean looking face, little offset, nice top line, excellent feel, good trajectory. I will be replacing my 56 & 60 with Edison as well.

They now have a demo program that allows you to buy & try a set of wedges and if you don't like them they will take them back and buy you another brand. That's confidence.

I need to rework my wedge setup with my new irons. Ordered a CBX2 for the sw spot and will probably add one of the full face in 58* at some point. I suck so I’m all for more forgiveness

I like the idea of forgiving wedges. But what I like even more is having the second set wedge.

That set A/G/U whatever you want to call it makes a lot of sense of flowing from your set to the wedges. I think a lot of golfers still use that club as more of a full swing club than for around the green. It also helps make sure that the sole design is consistent with your irons.

Forgiveness in a sand wedge and lob wedge makes a ton of sense. With that much loft having preservation of ball speed on slight mis hits will help ensure consistent performance off more of the face. I think the sole design goes into how versatile the club feels, not the perimeter weighting of the club. So long as it looks good I could see myself using one.
The AW in my Mavrik set is absolute money, it's my favorite club in the bag. I'll play layup shots to a yardage just to have that club in my hand, and will gladly use it for pitches/longer chip shots.

Seems like people are being more and more educated on clubs and it wouldnt surprise me if forgiveness was added especially after Cleveland proved no loss in versatility. I doubt Vokey would add a forgiving wedge as they are known for the signature look. Maybe other brands, but the "next" forgiving wedge will need to differentiate itself because Wedge category is heavy competition.

Would the guys who have used the CBX2 say that it would be a lot easier to hit than my JPX919 gap wedge? I do not get on well with that thing.

How do people think the Cobra MIM wedges fit in for forgiveness? I played CBX last year and use Callaway so Far this season.

How do people think the Cobra MIM wedges fit in for forgiveness? I played CBX last year and use Callaway so Far this season.

The MIMs would be similar to the Callaways.

Would the guys who have used the CBX2 say that it would be a lot easier to hit than my JPX919 gap wedge? I do not get on well with that thing.

”A lot” is relative, but it definitely would be more forgiving than the JPX 919 gapper.

Is there a wedge out there that’s forgiving for all the high, toe strikes I have? Guessing I’ll get my Hogan’s bent up to match my Mizuno’s (2 up from fitting) because they are really good when I do get them right but most of mine are high toe hits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what goes underrated is what shaft goes in the wedge. Most wedge shafts are heavier and stiffer. For instance the Cleveland RTX wedge comes with a DG Tour Issue shaft that probably weighs 120 grams. I'm a big believer in using a softer shaft in the wedges where you can have some feel for the touch shots.

I played the 919 for about 6 months, and I'd say that the CBX original and CBX2 are much easier to hit. The 919 is very friendly, but kinda funky looking. The CBX(s) have such a friendly bounce and grind, they cover up lots of small errors in contact.

I played the 919 for about 6 months, and I'd say that the CBX original and CBX2 are much easier to hit. The 919 is very friendly, but kinda funky looking. The CBX(s) have such a friendly bounce and grind, they cover up lots of small errors in contact.
Not hijacking the thread but curious what shafts the CBX2 users are playing in their wedges. Want to get a CBX2 gap wedge but concerned it won’t blend well with my 950GH iron shafts (regular Flex).

I like the DG 115 shaft that comes in them stock. As someone mentioned earlier, not having a piece of rebar for a shaft is part of the reason the CBXs are so easy to use. The club as a whole feels a bit lighter, and swings smoother than standard wedges with DGS200 or DGS400 shafts.

Super excited for the new cleveland wedges... They are going to be very interesting.

I just picked up a CBX2 in 50 and a 56 degree. They look and feel great.

Is there a wedge out there that’s forgiving for all the high, toe strikes I have? Guessing I’ll get my Hogan’s bent up to match my Mizuno’s (2 up from fitting) because they are really good when I do get them right but most of mine are high toe hits
You might want to give the Callaway PM Grind a try. It has a real high toe and the grooves go all the way out to the edge of the clubface, so it might save you on some of those shots.

Update.... I got the CBX2 wedges in my hands yesterday and today I nicked out of the office at lunch to give them a go, and they are awesome. I can't get over how much confidence I have standing over them and just swinging away. These things are money!

I'm so close to the CBX2 switch. I'm almost willing to go CBX2 in 50 and 54 and Smart Sole in 58. Not much info on the new Smart Sole

got to see a Cleveland full face in hand this morning, very interesting...looks better than I expected.

Back