Music on the Course

Its not like it just makes me goofy when I hear it out there. But it just cuts like an electronic knife through the otherwise "natural" sounds of the course. Its just hard to ignore if you aren't partaking in it. Had a boss with a cart with two 6x9's and an amp in it years ago. Played all ways. Just prefer the course sounds, nature.

Its not like it just makes me goofy when I hear it out there. But it just cuts like an electronic knife through the otherwise "natural" sounds of the course. Its just hard to ignore if you aren't partaking in it. Had a boss with a cart with two 6x9's and an amp in it years ago. Played all ways. Just prefer the course sounds, nature.
I definitely agree that it shouldn't be loud enough that it can be heard by anybody outside your own group on the golf course. If people can hear your music from two holes away, you need to turn that s**t down. I keep mine at a volume where I can hear it in the cart while sitting still, can barely hear it over the wind/cart noise while the cart is moving, and can't hear it standing on the green from where the cart is parked on the cart path. We'll get a little looser with the volume if we're playing in something like a charity scramble, which are usually a drunkfest party atmosphere anyway - but for everyday rounds with friends, I like to keep it discreet and mellow. No need to turn the golf course into an outside concert venue.

I will say I have pivoted to not minding having music played while on the course. I do agree that it shouldn't disrupt anyone on the golf course. When I am out alone I generally wear headphones or play music softly. I play a lot of golf as a single and I don't play music when I join up but I do tell people that might have it playing that I don't mind.

Always. On the golf course it's Garth Brooks/Alan Jackson. My preferred genre is hip hop but just not on the golf course.

We rocked 60’s 70’s and 80’s radio today. Lots of singing along while we played.

And you know what? It made practice for the HS kids more fun and they enjoyed everything about practice more. That’s a win.

Is strange, playing here in the UK I genuinely can't remember ever hearing people play music on a course. As in, ever!
I definitely agree that it shouldn't be loud enough that it can be heard by anybody outside your own group on the golf course. If people can hear your music from two holes away, you need to turn that s**t down. I keep mine at a volume where I can hear it in the cart while sitting still, can barely hear it over the wind/cart noise while the cart is moving, and can't hear it standing on the green from where the cart is parked on the cart path. We'll get a little looser with the volume if we're playing in something like a charity scramble, which are usually a drunkfest party atmosphere anyway - but for everyday rounds with friends, I like to keep it discreet and mellow. No need to turn the golf course into an outside concert venue.

Exactly! I've heard something approaching a "boom cart" on the course! I could hear the music clearly 200 yards away! This is why if you "MUST" have your music, get some earbuds! I never liked "boom cars", and still don't, for the same reason! I DON'T want to hear your music!

We rocked 60’s 70’s and 80’s radio today. Lots of singing along while we played.

And you know what? It made practice for the HS kids more fun and they enjoyed everything about practice more. That’s a win.

Neat that they dug the old tunes, but in general HS kids are not that sophisticated, and will pretty much go along with anything! They do not wish to be seen as standing outside the group! You need to understand that, and not just engage in self congratulation!

Exactly! I've heard something approaching a "boom cart" on the course! I could hear the music clearly 200 yards away! This is why if you "MUST" have your music, get some earbuds! I never liked "boom cars", and still don't, for the same reason! I DON'T want to hear your music!

Neat that they dug the old tunes, but in general HS kids are not that sophisticated, and will pretty much go along with anything! They do not wish to be seen as standing outside the group! You need to understand that, and not just engage in self congratulation!
2C29CDA3-5561-4761-9F33-778BBE6FE17B.gif

That’s hilarious. Both that you think this is “self congratulation” and that you belittle the congnitive and social capabilities of high schoolers.

You do you, and I’ll keep on endearing this game to future generations by not letting the stuffiness run them away.(y)

I will say I have pivoted to not minding having music played while on the course. I do agree that it shouldn't disrupt anyone on the golf course. When I am out alone I generally wear headphones or play music softly. I play a lot of golf as a single and I don't play music when I join up but I do tell people that might have it playing that I don't mind.
I'd consider earbuds if I was playing solo and the course wasn't crowded. But I'm very rarely out alone and wearing earbuds/phones would cut me out of the socialization with the rest of the group, so I save the earbuds for the gym - where I don't want to talk to anybody else anyway. :ROFLMAO:

"Haters gonna hate" is nothing more than intellectual laziness, and self congratulatory in its own right!

Fine! If you "must" have your music, which is a phenomenon that I do not understand, please play it at a volume that others cannot hear. What I do not understand about this phenomenon is that every waking moment must be accompanied by music!

Do you ever enjoy a moment of solitude? Some quiet introspection. Peace and tranquility?

I love music as much as anyone. I was raised with it. My mom was a musicphile! She had tons of albums, all the old crooners, big bands and had the Columbia master pressings of classical music. She'd put on Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony" and watch me, at the age of 3 or 4 keep time with my hands!

In Catholic grade school, we were offered piano lessons in the second grade. I told my Mom that I wanted to take them. She footed the bill for that as well. I studied piano for 10 years, until I was a Senior in high school. My teacher at that time told me that she couldn't teach me anything more. She wanted to set up an audition with some profs from the Dana School of Music at Youngstown State University and try to get me a scholarship! I could make that instrument sing!

But, the one thing I hated the most about music was performing in front of people! It terrified me! The yearly recital filled me with dread. i never screwed up, but I still didn't like surviving the experience. I didn't understand until much later, that butterflies are good! It means that you care about your performance.

Anyway, I shut the lid on that piano and walked away from it forever! This is one of the bigger regrets of my life!

"Haters gonna hate" is nothing more than intellectual laziness, and self congratulatory in its own right!

Fine! If you "must" have your music, which is a phenomenon that I do not understand, please play it at a volume that others cannot hear. What I do not understand about this phenomenon is that every waking moment must be accompanied by music!

Do you ever enjoy a moment of solitude? Some quiet introspection. Peace and tranquility?

I love music as much as anyone. I was raised with it. My mom was a musicphile! She had tons of albums, all the old crooners, big bands and had the Columbia master pressings of classical music. She'd put on Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony" and watch me, at the age of 3 or 4 keep time with my hands!

In Catholic grade school, we were offered piano lessons in the second grade. I told my Mom that I wanted to take them. She footed the bill for that as well. I studied piano for 10 years, until I was a Senior in high school. My teacher at that time told me that she couldn't teach me anything more. She wanted to set up an audition with some profs from the Dana School of Music at Youngstown State University and try to get me a scholarship! I could make that instrument sing!

But, the one thing I hated the most about music was performing in front of people! It terrified me! The yearly recital filled me with dread. i never screwed up, but I still didn't like surviving the experience. I didn't understand until much later, that butterflies are good! It means that you care about your performance.

Anyway, I shut the lid on that piano and walked away from it forever! This is one of the bigger regrets of my life!

I just read the first 2 sentences you wrote and instantly decided we will never play golf together......ever. I’m sure the book you wrote was inspiring. Enjoy your time on THP.

doesn't bother me a bit. once i got paired up with this mid 40's white man .. for 4 hrs he played nothing but trap/sound cloud rap. nothing that you hear on the radio. i listen to a fair amount of hip-hop/rap but i didnt know any of the songs.

Ok so without reading this whole thread. I dont need to as we probably have one a year lol.
Truth is we all like music "IF" its the music that we like and "IF" its the music we like to hear at the given time and in the given environment.

very few people want so hear someone else music that they themselves do not like nor feel fits the current environment.

For example....right now its 10pm.b As I write this i am sitting in my yard at a gas fire table with my wife and Im sipping a whiskey and listening to a mix of the two guys in my avatar plus a couple other singers similar to them. That is what I like and also what I like in our current environment of the moment. And
I also love the rolling stones but just not right now.

I hate rap music and many other types of music. I dont want to hear them ever so Im not going to be happy camper if that's what I have to hear while I play. I love easy listening soft rock especially from the 70's. Anything fro elton john to one hit wonders to the eagles or whatever. Play that while Im playing and Im perfectly happy.

Where i use to live there was one house (public course) that sat up next to the golf course and every weekend (this was back in the 90's) this person would play (or should i say blast) sinatra and most people would enjoy the music as they made thier way through those couple holes and many folks looked forward to it. It became sort of an unwritten yet official part of the course even though unrelated. You would hear it through a green and then an entire par 3 then the next tee as well. Most folks enjoyed it.

But again imo it comes down to what music the given person likes and which music suits the current atmosphere for that person. Almost no one wants to hear other peoples music that they dont like and or that doesnt fit the current atmosphere in their own opinion.

I’m a music person in the course. Generally bring a Bluetooth speaker and if there’s someone it will bother, earbuds.

I generally listen to classic rock (Aerosmith, Stones, Springsteen and the like)

We're on the 14th green yesterday and suddenly hear Welcome to the Jungle blaring from the group ahead. I know one of guys in that group and it wasn't him. I chuckled and immediately made a nice par-saving bomb. That's what we needed to get the game going! Other groups started whistling and telling them to turn it down.

Impressive speaker. If it's too loud, then you're too old! Kidding. A respectful volume is the key to equilibrium with your fellow golfers.

Music on the course works for me. However, we typically don't play music at my home course except for Friday afternoons.

I’m sure it irks some of the “traditionalists” that I let my HS kids play music while they practice, eh? :ROFLMAO:

I prefer to not listen to music on the course. I enjoy the natural sounds surrounding our course that include horses, ducks, cows (now gone), the rooster (now gone), the trains going by, the race track a couple of miles away, sounds from the rifle range a few miles away, motorcycles & loud cars driving by and honking, police sirens chasing speeders, my wife yelling at me, .... etc. Just love all those natural sounds of nature. :)

I have music on in a lot in other daily activities, but not on the golf course. I guess it never occurred to me to combine the two things :ROFLMAO:

It doesn't bother me, but I've yet to run into someone playing music in their cart where I went 'Hey - is that music? I can barely hear it!'. It's always louder than it probably should be. Just sayin'...

I know. Okay boomer.

I’m sure it irks some of the “traditionalists” that I let my HS kids play music while they practice, eh? :ROFLMAO:

High school teacher here and a hater. I play golf to be outdoors and to get away from things like music. There are many people like me out on the course and it's annoying to hear your music. I don't force any of my behaviors onto others; it's rude.

High schoolers these days have a habit of walking around school with one ear bud in their ear. When they dare come into my classroom with it I ask them if they'd go into a job interview wearing the ear bud. Of course even they answer no because they know that it's disrespectful. Beyond that, I promote the notion of giving something your full attention. If you have to appease their lack of focus by making your golf practice a dance session, I'll question how serious your players are about getting better. Turn off that sh*t and pay attention to what you're trying to accomplish.

Not really, although I don't mind it at a reasonable level...
One of my playing partners will step off if an ant farts in the next county...so sometimes I sing when getting ready to hit my drive just to aggravate him

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

High school teacher here and a hater. I play golf to be outdoors and to get away from things like music. There are many people like me out on the course and it's annoying to hear your music. I don't force any of my behaviors onto others; it's rude.

High schoolers these days have a habit of walking around school with one ear bud in their ear. When they dare come into my classroom with it I ask them if they'd go into a job interview wearing the ear bud. Of course even they answer no because they know that it's disrespectful. Beyond that, I promote the notion of giving something your full attention. If you have to appease their lack of focus by making your golf practice a dance session, I'll question how serious your players are about getting better. Turn off that sh*t and pay attention to what you're trying to accomplish.
Former (until just this year) HS teacher here. ;)

I let my kids listen to music in class because I was one growing up whom it allowed to focus in, and school isn’t a job interview as imo that’s a very old school thought process. I’d rather a kid be able to lock in and do work than be distracted by his or her neighbors. Plus, it’s fact that “giving” them something like that makes 90% work harder for you and listen more when you’re speaking. As with anything, it has its rules and limitations and when they feel they’re getting a reward, they have no issue following.

On course, I want my kids to WANT to be there. I want to actually grow the game rather than just talking about it as most of the world does. The music sets the hook, it makes the struggle more bearable and it leads them to pass way more time on the course than they otherwise would. It’s also a hell of a lot more productive than a coach just yelling at them they have to stay until whatever o’clock. As with in the classroom, they have rules, they have rules of volume and music selection, they have rules of turning it off when groups come to play through, and if they don’t follow the rules they lose the right, which teaches them way more than comparing it to a job interview, imo.

Like kids have to adapt to the world, so too should teachers and coaches.

JMO of course, and we are all entitled to our own for sure! (y)

And by the way, my golfers do well. I have two college golfers with two more going to sign this year in just 5 years running the program. Not to mention multiple all staters and teams that qualify regularly for state. So don’t judge seriousness based on your preconceptions ;)

Former (until just this year) HS teacher here. ;)

I let my kids listen to music in class because I was one growing up whom it allowed to focus in, and school isn’t a job interview as imo that’s a very old school thought process. I’d rather a kid be able to lock in and do work than be distracted by his or her neighbors. Plus, it’s fact that “giving” them something like that makes 90% work harder for you and listen more when you’re speaking. As with anything, it has its rules and limitations and when they feel they’re getting a reward, they have no issue following.

On course, I want my kids to WANT to be there. I want to actually grow the game rather than just talking about it as most of the world does. The music sets the hook, it makes the struggle more bearable and it leads them to pass way more time on the course than they otherwise would. It’s also a hell of a lot more productive than a coach just yelling at them they have to stay until whatever o’clock. As with in the classroom, they have rules, they have rules of volume and music selection, they have rules of turning it off when groups come to play through, and if they don’t follow the rules they lose the right, which teaches them way more than comparing it to a job interview, imo.

Like kids have to adapt to the world, so too should teachers and coaches.

JMO of course, and we are all entitled to our own for sure! (y)

And by the way, my golfers do well. I have two college golfers with two more going to sign this year in just 5 years running the program. Not to mention multiple all staters and teams that qualify regularly for state. So don’t judge seriousness based on your preconceptions ;)

As with anything, it has its rules and limitations

So your "limitations" are well measured while mine are an example of failing to adapt. What are your limitations? I'm not offended nor trying to be contrarian but there are reasons why giving something your full attention is important. Throwing out norms and traditions is ok where it's warranted but there are reasons why norms develop. One of those reasons is that others find your music annoying. Too damn bad about them is one way to see it. Being part of a community is another.

The music sets the hook

So your players don't really love golf. They're there because they can play music?

Our course just got all new carts. The carts have integrated speakers, and the in-cart GPS system includes a variety of music stations you can listen to, similiar to a Sirius/XM system, so now anybody and everybody on the course can listen to music while golfing if they so choose. You can also Bluetooth your phone to the speakers if you want to play your own music. The on-screen volume adjustments are nice so you don't have to screw around with your phone to adjust the volume. I'll admit that the system's volume goes about two notches higher than I'd prefer when it's turned all the way up, but it doesn't get obnoxiously loud. I like my music in the cart to be at a background level - one where I can still easily carry on a conversation with my cart partner (if I have one), and where I can barely hear it when the cart is moving but it's not disruptive when the cart is stopped.

So your "limitations" are well measured while mine are an example of failing to adapt. What are your limitations? I'm not offended nor trying to be contrarian but there are reasons why giving something your full attention is important. Throwing out norms and traditions is ok where it's warranted but there are reasons why norms develop. One of those reasons is that others find your music annoying. Too damn bad about them is one way to see it. Being part of a community is another.

The music sets the hook

So your players don't really love golf. They're there because they can play music?
The world evolves, doing things the same way they’ve been done forever just because that’s they way they were is crazy to me. The world we live in now and that these kids are going to live in is different than ours was, and no amount of crying “back in my day!” Is going to change that.

You talk of kids failing to adapt, but teachers can also fail to adapt to the new world, and I know plenty still who struggle with that in the classroom and in life. It’s a two way street, like it or not. I would much rather teach a kid to work WITH their situation than forcing them to shut down and shut out their elders.

I’m also willing to venture that you don’t honestly think that kids are coming out to practice two hours a day just to listen to music. But you’re trying to create something from nothing so I’ll roll with it. I take it as my responsibility to GROW this game, and to teach kids to LOVE it as much as so many of us do, and NOT to perpetuate the elitist attitude of “tradition” that drives so many away. If letting them listen to music while playing their required 36 holes per week or during their putting and chipping drills allows them to focus in for longer and make it more enjoyable, you bet your add I’m going to do it. It’s also why my kids respect me, I treat them line people, but they also know I will absolutely crack the whip when I need to and if they step out of line. The role of a teacher or coach is to guide, not to lord over them. You have to adapt to the changing world, not let it pass you by.

So if you want to imagine dance parties or silly extremes, go for it. Bottom line though is my kids are allowed to have fun while still ruby taught to respect others and the game as a whole. I’m growing the game and doing it the right way. (y)

The music sets the hook

Or maybe they think music makes them enjoy anything more? Or they can focus more with music on? People's brains are all different - what helps people give "full attention" may not be what works for you. I've got music on most of the time while I work, and I'd categorize my job as something that needs deep focus.

I've never had anyone just throw on music without asking the group if it was OK. And outside of scrambles and other "fun" rounds most will turn down/kill the music on tees/greens that are near each other.

Back