Guys with small hand. Is Oversize grip working for you?

scottmti

Passionate Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
Recently bought a iron set with midsize grip with seems like has extra tapes on it. It was 1/2” longer than standard. I figure I’ll play with it see how it goes. I chock down 1/2-3/4”. I even put a tape so I know where to hold it.
I am hitting this set up better than what I had. Even a 6i I hit solid and distance is very acceptable. I thought about getting regrip and cut to correct length but I’m afraid I might lose the mojo on it. I’m getting comfortable with grip now. Now my woods and wedges that have standard grips feels so thin it just feel weird and handsy.
Oversize grip has eliminate my unwanted hooks. Not sure if this will be permanent but it sure is working.
Anyone had similar experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hand a lot of clubs to random players on the ranges.
Most of my demo clubs have midsized grips. I wish I kept track of how many players say that they really like the feel of the grips. Not really knowing they have a midsize in their hands.
Just from my observations more players should be using a larger grip than standard.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I started using midsize grips maybe 5 years ago and have not looked back. I know according to the charts, I should be using regular, but the midsize just feel better, like I do not have to strangle the club.
I have heard all the comments, it will not let you get back to square, you will develop a push, yadah, yadah.

I have pretty short fingers and a large palm/hand. I was using mid-size for a while, but my teacher said I wasn’t able to really release with them. He actually put me in undersize grips, and I liked the results. I’ve been hitting slight draws with the irons, and nice draws with the woods. I got a different set of irons and hybrids this Sunday, and did a practice round with them, with differing results. They have regular size grips, and I was blocking about half of my shots right. The hybrids felt great, though, and were really going.

I wear a med-large golf glove. I've had jumbo and mid-size softer grips on my clubs for many years. I think somehow it helped me reduce grip pressure and not hook the ball as often. Still it was a band-aid. As I've continued to practice daily in this covid lockdown I have determined that my lead arm leads better when I get the club more in my left hand fingers and less in my left hand palm. In this regard, I find the jumbo's too big for me. I have stock on my irons and woods now and mid-size on wedges.

I'm a small glove wearer. I prefer something just under the size of midsize. Generally will build up .58 grip a little bit.

Midsize I can make work. I believe that not only there is comfort/lighter grip aspect and there is some truth to calming down a draw.

Not me. I can make a midsize work in short spurts, and like @Popeye said, a lot of demo clubs seem to have them. So I'll hit them in that situation, but as soon as I'm not actively thinking about accounting for the change, I don't get the face closed. I actually end up swinging irons steeper with less face rotation if it has a bigger grip to protect against it. So if you're hitting them better, even if they wouldn't be recommended for your hands size, maybe they're helping correct a swing fault right now.

Last edited:
I wear an M/L glove and the recommendation is standard grips for my hand size, but I play midsize and love them.

I think you have to be careful because grips too big can cause a right miss

I switched to JumboMax grips this winter and absolutely love them, as a size small glove hand. They definitely feel a lot different, but have helped reducing wrist action and have helped me be straighter. Also, I find that my misses are less offline than they used to be.

Last edited:
I switched to JumboMax grips this winter and absolutely love them, as a size small glove hand. They definitely feel a lot different, but have helped reducing wrist action and have helped me be straighter. If anything, I find that my misses are less offline than they used to be.

I have very handsy swing which sometime causes unwanted hook or pull.
Bigger grip seems help reduce that. Like other have post that it’s a band-aid fix.
Only thing is difference between iron and woods feels vastly different since woods have standard size grip.
I might have to find a middle ground and experiment.

I have to go undersized for my small hands.

09EC32C5-E92E-4EA4-A3B9-C70D1D351991.gif

I have very handsy swing which sometime causes unwanted hook or pull.
Bigger grip seems help reduce that. Like other have post that it’s a band-aid fix.
Only thing is difference between iron and woods feels vastly different since woods have standard size grip.
I might have to find a middle ground and experiment.

What I did was get one club (extra 7 iron) gripped with it to test out on the range. Tested a bunch and then decided to make the switch. I think something that helps calm that handsy swing will also encourage the improvements to that issue, because you won't be able to swing like that anymore. I jumped from standard +2 wraps to jumbo though, I didn't test in between.

One other note- most of the JumboMax grips are heavy and will noticeably reduce swing weight. They do have a newer grip that is ~50g, in line with most regular grips.

I switched to JumboMax grips this winter and absolutely love them, as a size small glove hand. They definitely feel a lot different, but have helped reducing wrist action and have helped me be straighter. If anything, I find that my misses are less offline than they used to be.

Did you go Jumbo on all your clubs?
How’s your driver and wood?

Did you go Jumbo on all your clubs?
How’s your driver and wood?

Yes, everything but the putter. I'm not currently playing a driver, but it feels fine on my woods. I wish I had more detail to give you, but it's become something that feels natural and I don't really think about to be honest.

I did play one round with it in all my clubs except my 3 wood (new shaft I hadn't gotten re-gripped). That is the worst combination, switching between jumbo and standard throughout a round. It might be different for others, that was just my experience. It may be less of a problem if you're using the lite grip so swing weights are similar (I'm in a heavier one). Just my experience

If they feel better, go for it.
Only consideration is the swingweight with midsize grips. They usually weigh a fair bit more than standards, and make the clubhead feel lighter.
If you don't like that, there is always adding layers of tape under the lighter standard weight grips. I like 3 wraps of double sided tape under standard NDMC grips.

Swing weight to me is like speaking Romanian. Means absolutely nothing.
I go more about feel. If you are worried about SW, after changing to a mid size grip, you could always add some leadtape to the head, in my humble opinion

I’m a medium glove size and Ive used mid-size grips for the last 3 years and won’t be going back. I love the way it feels and have lowered my handicap down to a 4 from a 12 since switching. Although a lot of that was lessons and practice, it’s just to prove that you can certainly find success with your setup as described in the OP.

I'd like to know more about this.
I wear a m/l cadet glove. I play a standard size grip. I've done the grip test thing and it says standard. I don't know how many times I've thought about wanting to try midsize or jumbo grips. When I grip the club I feel like I might have just a little bit of an extra overlap ill call it where my fingers touch and I don't think they should be, or just the though of having a bigger grip in my mind I think id have more control? If i had a disposable income id just go with a jumbo just to do it.

Back