Heat... And it's effects on your game...

chile

Working with Mercury
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Having spent an extraordinary amount of time in extremely humid and desert environments, I consider myself fairly durable when it's hot out... But I've noticed lately that I get a little "burned out" after 10 holes or so...I guess walking has a lot to do with it but how do you folks in those higher triple digit heat and higher humidity areas withstand heat during your rounds while walking...

I just played 2 days ago in Key Biscayne in Florida, super hot and no wind.
Sweat running down into my eyes, had to dry myself off quick and hit the ball.

Focusing was difficult at times, it was intense.
I think i got accustomed to being inside that made it harder.
Tommorrow i am going to the range at 2pm and will continue until i get use to the temperature again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I just played 2 days ago in Key Biscayne in Florida, super hot and no wind.
Sweat running down into my eyes, had to dry myself off quick and hit the ball.

Focusing was difficult at times, it was intense.
I think i got accustomed to being inside that made it harder.
Tommorrow i am going to the range at 2pm and will continue until i get use to the temperature again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

that's really all you can do...get acclimatized. i guess i'll walk even more :LOL::facepalm:

When playing golf in the heat, you need to protect yourself from dehydration.

Dehydration has been the cause of more bad golf scores than can be imagined.

A lot of time golfers don't know they are dehydrating. They just chalk their poor score up as bad round of golf.

The problem with dehydration is by the time you know you are dehydrated, it's too late. You've already been dehydrated for quite a while. Once dehydration sets in, the person's body no longer performs efficiently. Physical, and mental abilities are suffering.

Add in any other chronic health issues the golfer might have, dehydration becomes even worse.

Me, in the hot months, if I know I'm playing on Tuesday, I start my hydration process on Monday, maybe even Sunday afternoon.
Then during my round I continue to hydrate during my Tuesday round.

Having spent an extraordinary amount of time in extremely humid and desert environments, I consider myself fairly durable when it's hot out... But I've noticed lately that I get a little "burned out" after 10 holes or so...I guess walking has a lot to do with it but how do you folks in those higher triple digit heat and higher humidity areas withstand heat during your rounds while walking...
I walk a lot in the heat/humidity. It does beat you down after a bit and the sweat in the eyes mixed with sunscreen is super annoying. i am always walking in/near shade and power hydrating....2 canteens Or bottles per nine. With limited water on the course now, you have to hump that extra weight which adds to the issue.

If Im dripping wet i just don’t enjoy it. I can handle the 100+ deg heat but hate the swamp ass humidity. It gets brutal here in St. Louis.

A lot of time golfers don't know they are dehydrating. They just chalk their poor score up as bad round of golf.

The problem with dehydration is by the time you know you are dehydrated, it's too late. You've already been dehydrated for quite a while. Once dehydration sets in, the person's body no longer performs efficiently. Physical, and mental abilities are suffering.

Add in any other chronic health issues the golfer might have, dehydration becomes even worse.

Me, in the hot months, if I know I'm playing on Tuesday, I start my hydration process on Monday, maybe even Sunday afternoon.
I’ve had heat exhaustion twice...when you see the white dots, it’s too late. Ask for help and get in the shade if you can.

Heat and humidity are tough on us old guys in Nebraska. And too dangerous. When the dog won’t stay out more than 5 minutes, I know it’s best to stay home in the AC and wait for a cooler day. Maybe October?

I sweat alot.

Stay hydrated. Also, if you are a diabetic, getting dehydrated has another issue. Your blood sugar may go up due to the dehydration. I drink 3 20 oz bottles of Gatorade zero during my round. Probably should drink more.

Despite having a couple hospital visits for it in my work life, I think I still tolerate the heat well golfing. I make sure I'm hydrated at the start and never let myself get too dry. I think being in really good shape and being a decent golfer help too. I don't seem to have to work too hard physically compared to some of my buddies. I just stay steady with my pace, not get worked up, and down a couple bottles of liquid as we go.

I think finding the shade greenside, at the tee box, etc is an art form, too. I know a couple old guys that seem to be in the sun for no more than 20 seconds at a time. I try to take lessons on that.

Last edited:
If playing in extreme heat, 90+° then I try to do 20oz of water every 3-4 holes. Usually will mix in a gatorade also.
One thing that can be done and helps is to really over hydrate the night before.

This is an excellent post regarding how to properly hydrate oneself in preparation for an athletic event in the heat. I used to run many road races in the summer and I payed close attention to hydration. And hydration should begin significantly before the event - early, often and continuous. Just don’t overdo it.

I love playing in high heat and humidity. Play my best golf in those conditions. My index is usually 3 - 4 strokes lower in those conditions than it is in cool weather. Has been in low 90's with heat index in low 100's the past few days here so getting into my wheelhouse.

Ball goes far, I look like I rubbed baby oil on me, I struggle with right hand grip and I usually ride.

I hate heat. I would take 30° and rain over 90°

As I've always said: Layering is the key to cold. But in heat, you can only take so much off.

The first few of days of summer heat wear me out, but I get used to it. I don't drink as much coffee in the mornings when I know I'll be in the heat for 5 hours.

This. All day. I noticed last year that my rounds that I would blow up on the back nine after playing a good front 9 were all during high heat, high humidity days. Didnt take long to figure out that it was affecting me.

Since then, a real focus on hydration and intake of fruits and protein during the round has kept my focus and energy up the entire round, even when walking in 90 degree heat.

Not too much effect on my game as long as I can keep the sweat off my hands and clubs and keep it from running down into my eyes while I'm swinging. Some days that's just not possible if it's very hot, very humid and no breeze. Those days I try not to play at all.

The only time heat illness will affect me playing golf on a hot day is if I am already feeling bad or not hydrated before I start. As long as I start the round in good shape, constant water consumption will get me through 3-1/2 hours or whatever. Might feel wrung out after but not during the round.

I actually thrive in the heat. Helps keep my body feeling better. I’ve found the key to be drinking lots of fluids, water , Gatorade, Squenchers. If I have to pee every 4 holes I’m good to go. Also frequent snaking can help keep energy up. Lighter snacks such as protein bars, soft granola bars, stuff that’s easy to eat.

I'm always drinking water throughout the round and usually a Gatorade too. Need the Gatorade to make sure I replenish my electrolytes.

Doesn’t bother me much down here in South Texas, but I’m pretty used to it. I also play with a 3L camelbak so that i dont get dehydrated.

I actually thrive in the heat. Helps keep my body feeling better. I’ve found the key to be drinking lots of fluids, water , Gatorade, Squenchers. If I have to pee every 4 holes I’m good to go. Also frequent snaking can help keep energy up. Lighter snacks such as protein bars, soft granola bars, stuff that’s easy to eat.
Same with me. The hotter, the better. I play my best golf in the heat. I think it keeps me loose. As long as I can keep my hands dry, I'll be fine. But I've never had issues with staying hydrated. Not because my body doesn't get dehydrated, but I'm just always drinking water or something else between shots.

Low 90s is my top end. Triple digit? I'm trying to stay cool.

Back