I love it. I have Arccos, I find it pretty unobtrusive, and during the round I like overheads of the holes, especially for courses I'm not familiar with, along with the F/M/B yardages on approaches. The recommended club is a little iffy because it doesn't take into account elevation, but otherwise, I think it's pretty solid. After the round I can see where I'm struggling the most so I can focus a bit more on those areas when/if I can practice. It's one thing to feel like your iron play wasn't so hot but was made up for by that one great iron shot, it's another when it says your GIR was bad. You can say "I had a couple good birdie putts last round" but that app will let you know how many putts you actually had.

Data has changed the way I attack the golf course this year and my handicap has dropped because of it. I’ve re-evaluated the times I hit driver vs 4 iron off the tee by looking at the average yardage in that results. The driver is a 50% FIR and the 4i is a 70% FIR.

The difference in approach shots is meaningful at times but sometimes it’s just a few clubs. If my 54* wedge and my 7 iron both have similar GIR%, I have to take the extra fairways.

Data is changing the world - let it change your game too.

I used to keep track of data, then ended up playing "data" instead of golf. I was getting too hung up on stats. I don't need the data to tell me what I need to work on.

It's a good point, Sean.

Whatever method you use to collect shot-by-shot data, it puts you in the frame of mind that judges each shot based on how it's going to show up in your stats. That's a subtly different frame of mine that simply focusing on executing the next shot as well as possible then adding up the score at the end.

It's a good point, Sean.

Whatever method you use to collect shot-by-shot data, it puts you in the frame of mind that judges each shot based on how it's going to show up in your stats. That's a subtly different frame of mine that simply focusing on executing the next shot as well as possible then adding up the score at the end.

Doesn't put me in that frame of mind. I don't pay attention to the data when I'm playing other than to let it inform me of how best to approach each shot. I don't care at all how a shot is going to 'show up' in the stats. The shot just is and the data analysis comes after. That's the only way it's useful, imo.

Back