Would you Rather?

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.5
I know that this choice is not applicable to some on the forum, because they are able to post this score if not regularly, at least once in a while. However, most cannot. So, here is my question: If given the choice, would you rather have a hole in one or shoot 67 on a par 72 course of, let’s say approximately 6600 yards with a slope rating of 130 or above? Why?

I'll take the 67 because a whole round of good golf > than one good golf shot....and I don't have a HIO

I would rather shoot the 67, because I have had two holes in one in my life, but have never gotten close to such a score. If I could actually shoot that score, it likely means I am a plus index and that would be awesome. Anybody can be lucky enough to have a hole in one.

67, because 18 good holes beats 1 good one every single time

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

I'll take the 67 because a whole round of good golf > than one good golf shot....and I don't have a HIO

I agree. I would choose the score, even if I had not had a HIO.

Shot 67 I guess. Hole in ones are cool and I’m sure I’ll be excited as anyone if I do ever get one, but sub 70 round is freaking legit and means I played my ass off.

HIO
nice round but what beats a HIO?

i mean you may go out and shoot 67 anytime, how often are you hitting a HIO?

HIO for sure. My low round is a 76, but an 81 in recent history. I’ve played 9 holes at -1, but there’s something magical about a HIO. I do think my answer would change if I did have a HIO.

I think it depends on the "when" of the incident. In tournament play, I'd love a 67 before a hole in one as I've had 2 in my life. However, when playing certain events, fundraisers, etc...there are great prizes. A hole in one could win a bevy of possible items. Truck, Side by Side, cash, etc... In that case, I'd take the hole in one before 67 every time!

Can't say it much better than that. Five under on a relatively difficult course is far better than one great (maybe just good and a little lucky) shot. I have no HIO either so it's tough to pass up, but I think I'd pass it up even for an even par round on same course and certainly for -1.

i mean you may go out and shoot 67 anytime, how often are you hitting a HIO?

YOU may go out and shoot a 67 anytime. For some of us, it's but a dream unless we stop at 14 holes or something...

I'm taking the hole in 1!

Shooting 67 would be a magical round but when you're remembering golf years down the road (after hundreds of golf rounds) with the guys you can add that you shot a low round of 67 and the guys would give the old, "nice round", or " you were in the zone that day" and the discussion moves on....it's just a number. When you reminisce about your hole in 1 you remember everything about. Hole #, yardage, club selection, course condition, ball flight, the bounce it took, the roll, the ooooooooh's as it rolls closer, and finally the celebration once it drops.

definitely HIO - that goes on the wall and is a great memory.

a 67 would be great, but then all future rounds would be more frustrating.

I think it depends on the "when" of the incident. In tournament play, I'd love a 67 before a hole in one as I've had 2 in my life. However, when playing certain events, fundraisers, etc...there are great prizes. A hole in one could win a bevy of possible items. Truck, Side by Side, cash, etc... In that case, I'd take the hole in one before 67 every time!

This is a very creative, thoughtful answer.

I would go with the hole in one. You never hear "what did you shoot that day" when someone says they got one.

HOI for me. I feel like I have more control over my game to help me shoot a 67, but no matter how good I strike the ball, a HOI has a little luck involved that shooting a 67 doesnt.

HOI for me. I feel like I have more control over my game to help me shoot a 67, but no matter how good I strike the ball, a HOI has a little luck involved that shooting a 67 doesnt.

That sounds fairly optimistic to me. I had my handicap up to a -8.3 last year and I never even dreamed of having enough control of my game to shoot a 67. I think if an 8-10 handicpper shoots a 67, it would most certainly have to include some luck.

Im taking the HIO as its much harder to do that in my opinion than shoot a low score

That sounds fairly optimistic to me. I had my handicap up to a -8.3 last year and I never even dreamed of having enough control of my game to shoot a 67. I think if an 8-10 handicpper shoots a 67, it would most certainly have to include some luck.

At my current handicap I know that's not possible. My point was i can work on my game to get good enough to shoot a 67, no matter how much I work on my game, I need a little luck to get a HOI. As someone who has one already, it was pure luck and I've not sniffed one since.

67 for sure. my previous best was 76 and it was on a par 71 and not nearly that difficult rated.

I'll go with 67 since that would be 3 better than my PB, and I already have a HOI.

The last time I checked they don't make special frames/plaques for a score of 67 but they do for an ace.

While I agree with most that a sub-par score shows greater consistency over a longer period the ace is just.... special.

When you make a HOI, people want to know what the yardage was, what club you hit, pin location, how it happened etc. You shoot a 67 and it's "hey nice round".

Don't get me wrong however, both are serious accomplishments for any golfer but I must go with the HIO personally.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Oh definitely the 67. An awesome round is a whole day of successes and memories. A HIO is just a moment, and a lot of them are pure luck. You can't accident your way to a -5.

Back