What do you consider a divot?

What is a divot?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
divot, whats made after the stroke.
divot in fairway or divot made in green
i dont know anyone who replaces a divot on the green, they will fix it with a tool but not put a piece of grass back

The thing that isn't replaced that causes the other thing.

divot, whats made after the stroke.
divot in fairway or divot made in green
i dont know anyone who replaces a divot on the green, they will fix it with a tool but not put a piece of grass back

Thank you for reinforcing my point. That thing we fix on the green is a ball mark, not a divot. I propose we call the hole left after one takes a divot a club mark.

The divot is the actual turf removed. I know this yet when I hear divot or refer to one, I'm actually thinking crater.

Not to muddy the waters any further, but the definition of a divot could depend on the type of grass you are playing on.

For example here in Canada with bent grass fairways you usually take a small piece of turf that includes a thin layer of dirt (think of a cut roll of sod). However in Florida where the grass is "spidery" all you can do is rip out a small section of the stems - there is nothing intact to put back.

So here we say "replace your divot" where you put back the small piece of sod that your club cut out of the fairway, whereas in Florida they say "fill your divot" because that's your only choice.

Thank you for reinforcing my point. That thing we fix on the green is a ball mark, not a divot. I propose we call the hole left after one takes a divot a club mark.
the thing you fix your ball mark on the green is sometimes called a divot fixer..

Guess I was wrong: Divot-
  1. a piece of turf cut out of the ground by a golf club in making a stroke.
    • SCOTTISH
      a piece of turf, as formerly used for roofing cottages.

I went with option A.

It bugs me when people refer to divots on the green. I get it bc at times grass is removed disturbed , but I’ve always considered it a pitch mark.

Sounds like they’re both correct...

Guess I was wrong: Divot-
  1. a piece of turf cut out of the ground by a golf club in making a stroke.
    • SCOTTISH
      a piece of turf, as formerly used for roofing cottages.
Welcome to The Dark Side - apparently.

Back