Poll to see what grip size for your irons

Your iron size grips? Oh...and why

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Newman21

Reaction score
Handicap
Curious as to what size grips you are using in your irons and why.

Background as to why I am asking is that I just purchased some used but excellent shape irons from GG and they came with midsize grips (without me knowing when I ordered them). I have been using a standard reminder grip in my CF16's. Wanting to know sort of what to expect. I wear a Medium/Large Footjoy glove for reference.

Oversize throughout the bag for me. I wear an XL glove.

standard because they came that way, but id like to try midsize or jumbo..

XL Titleist Players glove and use standard NDMC with three wraps. Just don't like the shift in swingweight/lighter head feel with Midsize grips.

Playing standard. A buddy of mine has oversized grips and I hate the feeling of them. That probably has something to do with my hand size though since I play in a medium glove. I play them because they feel the most comfortable in my hands

Standard, with 1 xtra wrap for me.

Midsize for me with 2 wraps.

Standard with 2 wraps of tape, cause that’s what my fitter suggested.

Mid size and I wear a XXL

I’ve gone back and forth through most and seem to keep coming back to midsize. I can wear either a cadet large glove or standard xl.

Play Midsize, cadet large glove. Midsize helps me keep grip pressure light

I just swapped from Midsize back to Standard. Hoping the smaller grip will help me turn the ball over more right to left.

I used to add an extra layer or 2 of tape under my grips, but now I just basically play a standard size.

Do we think grip size has much impact on releasing the club face? Thicker grip, helping hold off club face a bit (or the opposite?) Watching Bryson now hes got some SUPER thick grips.

Tour Velvet with .580 core is just about perfect for me on something like a Dynamic Gold or similar shaft. If the shaft tapers really quickly (like some lightweight steel shafts) then I need an extra wrap or two of buildup tape under the bottom hand to eliminate the excess taper.

Even better is Tour Velvet .580 core, ribbed. The extra few thousandths added by the rib seems to fine-tune it to me hands. But I don't know anyone (including myself) who can consistently get the ribs orientated the same on every club. So I stick to .580, round.

FWIW, I wear either Medium or Medium-Large glove depending on the brand and model

Midsize with 3 wraps. Usually wear cadet XL glove. I feel like I can't get a good grip on standard and oversize seems to not let my wrists release well.

I play midsize, Plus 4. Love the lower hand also being bigger and the grip less tappered. I was told the bigger grips take the right hand out of it more, and I need that badly. I'm a tennis player and that topspin hooking forehand comes into play way to much with a smaller grip.

Midsize, was trying different things at my fitting and one of them was the grips. I have large hands and found that +4s were more comfortable for me.

Do we think grip size has much impact on releasing the club face? Thicker grip, helping hold off club face a bit (or the opposite?) Watching Bryson now hes got some SUPER thick grips.
Yes, thats how I understand it when I have researched grip sizes.

Standard on everything except for the driver. Driver has a midsize. I have small hands. I like the midsize on the driver as it keeps my hands quiet

I play standard. Usually going bigger keeps you from closing the face as much or as quickly. Wearing a med/large you're probably close to the edge between standard with extras and midsize. Might work great for you. Have to try them to find out!

I use standards with two wraps. Someone else here noted how larger grips weigh more than standard grips with wraps and that can potentially throw off swingweights. Also note that if you put a .580 core grip on a shaft with a .60 butt, the grips will end up with a higher diameter than spec - but because the grip stretches to fit over the butt, it's less than the butt diameter + two wall thicknesses.

I learned this the hard way when I replaced what turned out to be ridiculously ultralightweight stock grips on two Mashie hybrids with some fairly beefy Winn midsize grips. Not knowing any better, when I installed those 0.60" core grips on the 0.65" butt Miyazaki C. Kua 59 shaft, those grips now became a jumbo grip diameter, and the swingweight changed to boot. They went from clubs I loved to clubs I couldn't hit. An extreme case, but now, when I have to replace a grip on a club I like, new grip weight is one of the first things I check. With my game, eliminating as much equipment variation as possible can only help.

Back