Favorite BBQ Region

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
BBQ is built on regions and each one has a different style. What is your favorite area and why?

Texas.

20160324-Franklin_brisket_devastation-L11201421.0.jpg

Austin area of Texas for the best brisket
Brunswick area of Georgia for Pulled pork
St. Louis for ribs

Texas eats!

Austin area of Texas for the best brisket
Brunswick area of Georgia for Pulled pork
St. Louis for ribs
I do respect other regional BBQ, it's still good. Except Memphis, I don't get memphis.

My regional rankings:

Kansas City
Carolina
Texas
Memphis

• Admin
There are only 2 who can claim the throne, KC and Texas.

South Carolina is where I had the best BBQ. Although I’ve not had the opportunity for Kansas City.

I don’t have a lot of experience in other regions. Texas? Memphis? (not including the abomination at Charlie Vergos’ Rendezvous)

Eastern NC hands down. Vinegar-based sauce ftw.

Eastern NC! Gotta have that vinegar-pepper sauce and whole-hog bbq!

If you need sauce you are doing it wrong.

KC for sauce (sweet & sticky), Memphis for pulled pork and ribs (dry rub, sauce on the side), Texas for brisket.

I don’t have a lot of experience in other regions. Texas? Memphis? (not including the abomination at Charlie Vergos’ Rendezvous)
Thank you! I'm glad I wasn't the only one sorely disappointed in the Rendezvous' ribs. They get a lot of ballyhoo, but were a huge letdown. Central BBQ in Memphis was much better than the 'Vous.

My favorite region for BBQ is mine since it's the only BBQ I know. I also realise that a lot of places probably do it better and i'd love to do some traveling and sample some fine golf and BBQ. A thread like this will definitely have me taking names!

Thank you! I'm glad I wasn't the only one sorely disappointed in the Rendezvous' ribs. They get a lot of ballyhoo, but were a huge letdown. Central BBQ in Memphis was much better than the 'Vous.

Central BBQ is fantastic.

South Carolina mustard style is my favorite, but my wife likes the KC style...so I usually do KC style sauces.

Would love to hear @TexasHacker34 views on this since he’s lived in Texas & KC. Ok, I may already know them but they are good points.

Would love to hear @TexasHacker34 views on this since he’s lived in Texas & KC. Ok, I may already know them but they are good points.

For me, it is KC.

I prefer the sweeter sauce, and honestly, KC has both the best burnt ends and pulled pork I’ve ever eaten in my life.

That being said, Texas BBQ Is no slouch

For me, it is KC.

I prefer the sweeter sauce, and honestly, KC has both the best burnt ends and pulled pork I’ve ever eaten in my life.

That being said, Texas BBQ Is no slouch
Still remember the BBQ place you took me to up there way back.....the BBQ sandwich I had was amazing.

TEXAS!

Texas

I've had Eastern NC, KC, and Texas BBQ. Love 'em all equally. Have never tried Memphis or SC BBQ.

NC. Vinegar based. Done.

Back