Fear of the evil back tees.

Back tees? I probably shouldn't even be playing from the normal men's tees since I'm distance challenged. I don't think about playing from the back tees.

Back tees? I probably shouldn't even be playing from the normal men's tees since I'm distance challenged. I don't think about playing from the back tees.
At least you're honest

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

My home course is Pine Hills when I just want to get out.
I try to push myself these days and play the harder tracts. Irem, Scranton CC, Jack Frost. Yesterday i played Lederach which is down by my daughters.

I was just reading about Scranton Muni closing, Sad....Played there a few times...I also got to Stonehedge recently...Played there long ago...I didn't recognize it. Have a son in Princeton and he plays outta Little Mill. We play around the area a bit. He plays the GAP. They were champs two years ago.

I was just reading about Scranton Muni closing, Sad....Played there a few times...I also got to Stonehedge recently...Played there long ago...I didn't recognize it. Have a son in Princeton and he plays outta Little Mill. We play around the area a bit. He plays the GAP. They were champs two years ago.
Played Stonehenge Saturday.
The Muni closing is a tragedy. It has been mismanaged since Denaples bought it. I don't think he wanted it to succeed.

I agree with playing harder courses. At under 6300 yards I am pretty confident and play consistently at my handicap. At 6800+ things get more difficult and I have to play really well to play to my current handicap. Even though course ratings are higher on the longer courses my handicap would be a couple of strokes higher if I played those tees consistently.

At least you're honest

Yeah, it's kind of hard to admit but my drives probably don't go 200 yards and if they do it's because of extra roll out.

Played Stonehenge Saturday.
The Muni closing is a tragedy. It has been mismanaged since Denaples bought it. I don't think he wanted it to succeed.

I agree Denaples wanted it to fail...and he offered it to the Super for same cost he paid and gave him 5 days to decide....What a schmuck. He tried hard to buy Stonehenge too....I'm good buds with a guy who is very knowledgeable about all things golf in your area.

I absolutely have fear of the back tees - at our course it plays at 7673 and a rating of 79.0 :eek:. We have a sign for the Blacks that reads - Warning, back tees, is there any other?

I normally play our Blue - 6561 / 72.8 or Green at 7024 / 75.1. More than enough of challenge for this man.

I absolutely have fear of the back tees - at our course it plays at 7673 and a rating of 79.0 :eek:. We have a sign for the Blacks that reads - Warning, back tees, is there any other?

I normally play our Blue - 6561 / 72.8 or Green at 7024 / 75.1. More than enough of challenge for this man.
Well your home course is certainly not playing around!! Sounds like a fun challenge.

I have never played the back tees. Might start if lessons get me more consistent, I think I hit it far enough to go to the back tees (driver average 285 when I play at least once a week) but would definitely have to work on course management (need to now, but working on dispersion currently)

I’m playing most rounds at 6500. It is really amazing when i go play at 6000 how dramatically that alters my second shot club.

It goes to show however that my approach game sucks; i score the same regardless of tees. I can swing a PW or a 4i, and my greens hit and proximity to the holes is equally crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddies and I will play the tips once in a while just for fun, but if we actually care about scoring we will play from the blues. None of use are good enough to be playing from the tips on the regular.

From my experience observing 1000's of players over my years, many golfers get on the back tees and think they automatically need to bomb their tee shots instead of playing to favorable areas. Even when there is only a 10-15 yard difference between the white and blue's on many courses.......(not all)

They give strokes away before they stick the tee in the ground.

At one point I use to hit it quite long. Broke a wrist, had plate installed and lost 15mph off swing. That was 27 years ago. So two good back tee stories...Slept in car and played Bethpage Black last day they were open for play prior to the Open. Son came up and was with me as the bakery chit guy handed em out at 5am....The course was soaked and played even longer. The son hits it very long...We had two kids from NYC join us and they were long...We played the back tees...about 7500 yards. A couple holes like 15 the carry to get to the fairway was about 260. I hit it well and carded a 96. Hit driver on 2 par 3's....The second story was The International...BTW it is in Bankruptcy right now...Back prior to my wrist injury and when I was launching it....I got one bud to join me on the Tiger tees...Named prior to the player...They played 8325 yards. Longest course in USA...But realize this, this was circa 1990....I played really well. Had my goal lined up. Blew my tee ball OB on 17 which was like one of the easy par 4's at near 400...Ugh well now all I have to do is par 18 for my 89...It is a 654 yard par 5 with I kid you not a 300 carry to the fairway thru some tight pine trees. I absolutely nutted it...to just shy of the fairway..proceed to scrap it in with bogey for 90...The course rating was 79.9 with a 154 slope....Play my golf nowadays at 6200 preferred. I'll step back occasionally with my son who always plays back.

Our back tees are 6900 and our middle tees are 6500. I played the back and it wasn't terribly different honestly. I rarely get GIR's because I don't hit it that far so it was really pitching and chipping a bit further away the whole time. What I found was I wasn't missing in trouble spots I was just setting in the fairway 30 or 40 yards away instead of the greenside rough or bunker.

I’m playing most rounds at 6500. It is really amazing when i go play at 6000 how dramatically that alters my second shot club.

It goes to show however that my approach game sucks; i score the same regardless of tees. I can swing a PW or a 4i, and my greens hit and proximity to the holes is equally crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting as my game pretty much remains the same too, except if I go back I my score will suck because I don't hit 3 woods good and have to go to three shots on a lot of holes.

The other day I was playing senior tees and then me and my buddy jumped back to white tees and I scored about 4 strokes better. You just never know in this crazy game!

Ain’t skeered here. Weather dependent. Cold, wet and blowing 20+? Yeah 6400 yards is a chore here.

Current local conditions I could play up to 7200. No wind, 90 and course playing hard and fast. It can play effectively shorter than the yardage in those conditions.

I would never play anything near 7200 yard in the cold, wet, and windy. That would eat me alive. But 90* and hasn’t rained in a week? Outside of a lot of wind, it won’t be much problem. I probably won’t get to any par 5’s in 2 but outside of a bad strike should have a mid iron or less on the 4’s, and who knows on the 3’s? There’ll probably be a couple that I hit a long iron or hybrid, but there’s probably a couple that are 175 or so. Throw in 20-30mph winds and that length can be brutal even in summer. I played one down in the Columbus area (can’t recall the name) that tipped at 7500 yards. I said what the heck with it despite high winds. Every near or even 500 yard+ par 4 was into the wind. It was brutal, even as hard as I swung back then, I had no idea on spin impacting it so bad so I got a lot a balloons that went nowhere. So I hit a lot of driver/3w. Sometimes failing to get there even then.

I most enjoy golf at 6600 or less, but under the right circumstances can back up some.

Played my first course at 7000 yards plus these past weeks and enjoy it. As I gained 20 yards it makes it more enjoyable now . Before this I was always scared to play from the tips

On most courses length from back tees isn't generally an issue. Now some of the tee box locations and the resulting setup can be very challenging. Still fun. I like to mix up tee boxes from farthest back to one up from the tips. That changes the course, and I like the playing diversity.

I have played in matches where the loser of the previous hole calls the next set of tees. It certainly does make you think

That crossed my mind recently and sounds like a ton of fun! I usually play match play against my dad so I'm going to have to see if he's open to this idea one of these days.

Just played the blacks at a local course Monday. Usually play what everyone else is but I was off as a single so why not. Only 6700 yds. 130/71.3 rating and was fun. Shot a 86 and was done in 2hrs. 47 minutes with a beer at the turn in the clubhouse.😎

Just played the blacks at a local course Monday. Usually play what everyone else is but I was off as a single so why not. Only 6700 yds. 130/71.3 rating and was fun. Shot a 86 and was done in 2hrs. 47 minutes with a beer at the turn in the clubhouse.
I love a wide open course

I play from the tips now and then at my home course. It provides a different look and a different set of challenges.

Yesterday I played by myself at a near empty golf course with storms all around. Played 9 holes.
At 7025 yards, slope of 137, from the black tees.. its not for everyone but I relished the chance to play from them. 9 pars and had a blast!!
I play as a single most rounds, so I am usually paired up with people at the first tee. Being the only player to play from the back tees to me seems obnoxious, so I usually play from where the rest of the group is.
I often see very good players opting against the back tees. Is it a fear of the added length or the pressure to play well from there? I even see this on very short courses where the back tees hardly make any difference at all.

Do you as a golfer look forward to playing from tees that will really test your game?

I love playing the back tees. My game doesn't always justify it, but it's not (usually) because of the lack of length. I think as long as I don't have multiple forced carries 230y+, I'm good. If the course is a tight driving course, then I might have a bit more trouble, but even the shorter tees would likely challenge me on such a course. I'm not sure I've ever played 7,000+, but I know I've played a 6900ish, par 72 often and a 6700ish, par 71 a few times. The two par 70 courses I play most often are in the 6300y range so I'd guess they're equivalent to about 6500ish if they were 72.

As long as a tee has no forced carries that are impossible for me I don't care. If I can't reach a par 4 in two then I guess I'm trying to make a 5.

Back