Grip Solution Gone Bad?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Ever had it happen? @JDax decided to stop by and check out the new office and wanted to throw some new grips on. One of my bottles of solution was setup and ready to go on the grip install area and every grip was sticking. Decided to change bottles and immediately everything was fine. It was the first time I have encountered this and have been building clubs for a long time and wanted to see if any THPers have had this issue before.

I've seen it with some non toxic versions of thinner... never with mineral spirits.

Never heard of such a thing. I don't know what kind I have, but I've had this bottle for several years and it just sits out in the shed going through extreme temperature changes.

I have seen it before with really crappy solution. I would not suspect that is the issue here. So, no idea why.

• Admin
I have seen it before with really crappy solution. I would not suspect that is the issue here. So, no idea why.

This was regular Golf Works solution, which I have used many times.

Yeah, I figured as much. Not necessarily GolfWorks, but not strange stuff..

That's the stuff I use too and I haven't come across this. At least it's a simple and not pricey swap.

I will say, I prefer paint thinner for my grips. It is super easy.. They slide right on. Yes, it is toxic, but what isn't at this point? :ROFLMAO:

I will say, I prefer paint thinner for my grips. It is super easy.. They slide right on. Yes, it is toxic, but what isn't at this point? :ROFLMAO:
And it smells goooood🤪

How long has the bottle been opened? Just curious if its hygroscopic? I'm 99% sure Acetone is. If the bottle was open for an extended period of time, maybe it absorbed enough moisture out of the air to dilute itself? Or, maybe you got a bad bottle?

This bottle of solution in question was new and wouldn’t activate the tape.

I’ve seen it from Golf Works solvent while working at Dick’s... Sorry about the grips we wasted solving this problem... @JB

How long has the bottle been opened? Just curious if its hygroscopic? I'm 99% sure Acetone is. If the bottle was open for an extended period of time, maybe it absorbed enough moisture out of the air to dilute itself? Or, maybe you got a bad bottle?
I think it was a bad bottle, we switched bottles and the solvent worked great.

This bottle of solution in question was new and wouldn’t activate the tape.

I’ve seen it from Golf Works solvent while working at Dick’s... Sorry about the grips we wasted solving this problem... @JB

No sweat. Got it fixed and still had more grip solvent, so we are good.

I’ve had it happen with a bottle from Golf Works as well. I couldn’t figure out why my grips kept spinning... tried a different solution and bingo.

Now all my solution comes from Canadian Tire and can also be used to fuel my Zippo.

golfworks hf100 that they give you in the small bottles for grip kits? I've had a couple issues with that, but more with the precut tape strips

I've never had this happen even when using older solvent

Must . . . . answer . . . . chemistry . . . . questions.

Mineral spirits will not pick up water in any appreciable amounts. Maybe a few hundred ppm.

Depending on the type of mineral spirits, there may be some reactive groups (unsaturation) that could react in the same way an oil-based paint or varnish cures. This is more likely if the bottle has seen a lot of time and/or temperature, and/or has been opened, and/or may have a trace residue left from cleaning the bottle prior to filling. Th effect is that the mineral spirits will be gummier. I would say this type of thing should be rare.

Finally, as someone who has spent a carer defending the safety and value of chemicals, neither paint thinner nor mineral spirits will kill you from regripping a set or two of clubs. But there are effects. Please wear rubber gloves and use in a well-ventilated area, and of the two, mineral spirits is the safer alternative.

Ever had it happen? @JDax decided to stop by and check out the new office and wanted to throw some new grips on. One of my bottles of solution was setup and ready to go on the grip install area and every grip was sticking. Decided to change bottles and immediately everything was fine. It was the first time I have encountered this and have been building clubs for a long time and wanted to see if any THPers have had this issue before.
That is surprising! I have changed a lot of grips in my life and I haven’t had that happpen.

Never. If my grip sticks when I try to install, I just squeeze the blow gun trigger a little more to add some air. Works every time. ;)

Never. If my grip sticks when I try to install, I just squeeze the blow gun trigger a little more to add some air. Works every time. ;)

Do you use any silver when using this method? Also, do you have any issues with the grip twisting after some use? Thinking of using this method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it was a bad bottle, we switched bottles and the solvent worked great.
If it was a fresh bottle, I'd have to guess you're right, just got a bad one. Quality control ain't always perfect, sounds like one slipped through the cracks.

Do you use any silver when using this method? Also, do you have any issues with the grip twisting after some use? Thinking of using this method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silver = solvent? I use no solvent.

Seldom have issues with slipping as long as I pay attention to shaft butt and grip core sizes.

Msg me if you have questions.

Back